iBasso D6 "Fer-de-Lance" USB DAC/Amp
Jan 11, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #76 of 774

Quote:
I myself am quite keen to see what Ron has in store for the Topkit of the D6, as well as how the D6 fares with the Sennheisers HD600/650.
smily_headphones1.gif

A claimed power of 650mWPC! I can't wait until the raves come in. That is 50mw more than the P4! It should push the Senns very well.

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #77 of 774
D6 ordered.

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #78 of 774
If i dont care about the optical and coaxial inputs, and need a portable amp/dac which would sound better the d6 or d12? i was going to buy the d6 but now that i see that the price is almost the same as the d12 im wondering which is better sounding. i have d2000's. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #79 of 774
I ordered the D4 yesterday and then this puppy rolls in! I immediately contacted ibasso to see if i can swap my order. sent them the difference in price and they obliged. great customer service!

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #80 of 774
I am expecting reports from all of you! I hear they do four day shipping or something crazy.

@davd,

The D6 has much more power than the D12, so I would go for the D6 for those uses. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #81 of 774

Quote:
I am expecting reports from all of you! I hear they do four day shipping or something crazy.

@davd,

The D6 has much more power than the D12, so I would go for the D6 for those uses. 

Oh mannnn thanks...that was what i needed in order to push me over the edge n pull the trigger! oh well its my first amp there is no way i can be disappointed esp with this beast 
gs1000.gif

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #82 of 774
i have a pair of hd555 senns, i've been looking at the d4 for a while now. i may choose to get some 600/650s in the future. if something like the ZERO DAC will sound better, i'd be willing to go without the portability features of the ibasso unit. I know i don't really need something like this for a pair of 50ohm cans, but i may be upgrading. shuld i go for this portable unit or the zero?

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #83 of 774
HiFlight, now that it's being sold can you give us some more details on how it sounds? How about compared to the D12/D4/P4? I was eyeballing the D12 for a while until I caught wind of the D6 a few weeks back.

I plan to use it with my laptop. Currently I'm using the Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD external card. Should I expect some improvement with my Ultrasone Pro 750s if I get an ibasso unit?

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #85 of 774

Quote:

Quote:

@davd,

Oh mannnn thanks...that was what i needed in order to push me over the edge n pull the trigger! oh well its my first amp there is no way i can be disappointed esp with this beast 
gs1000.gif

Always glad to help!
beerchug.gif

Quote:
i have a pair of hd555 senns, i've been looking at the d4 for a while now. i may choose to get some 600/650s in the future, is this little thing going to perform better than my x-fi forte in my pc? if something like the ZERO DAC will sound better, i'd be willing to go without the portability features of the ibasso unit. I know i don't really need something like this for a pair of 50ohm cans, but i may be upgrading. shuld i go for this portable unit or the zero?

The Zero DAC looks really good. It obviously has the advantages over the D6 of size, power supply, and the like. But I don't know if those things alone make it sound better. What makes it sound better is it sounding better or having more power. The Ibasso D6 can output 650mWPC, which is a huge amount of power. You can pretty much drive any phone short of the hifiman orthos with that much power. Senn HDxx and others, even 600 Ohm cans, should do very well. I would wait until a few members of head-fi got theirs and gave some impressions. Wait until a member with a desktop amp and good cans gets theirs, and ask them if the D6 drives their demanding cans with authority. I think it should, as the Ibasso P4 has great reviews and is supposedly able to drive very hard cans, and it has a tad less power than this. I really don't think you can lose going this route.

You could also get both and tell us what you think.
smily_headphones1.gif
 I am sure someone would love to take on or the other off your hands in the FS forum should you decide not to need it.

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #87 of 774

Quote:
HiFlight, now that it's being sold can you give us some more details on how it sounds? How about compared to the D12/D4/P4? I was eyeballing the D12 for a while until I caught wind of the D6 a few weeks back.

This, many times over. I have been holding off on a D12 purchase to see how the D6 compares. I need a DAC/amp, but don't have much use for the D12's coaxial and optical inputs.

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #88 of 774

Quote:

The Ibasso D6 can output 650mWPC, which is a huge amount of power.

But the P4 has the same output power rating and is $30 cheaper - granted, you arent getting a DAC, but for those of us with a dedicated DAC and a preference for SE over balanced, it looks like a no-brainer. If you are prepared to cross the non-iBasso choices off your shortlist, and you want something with a high power rating, the P4 looks like a good choice atm.

Inevitably, anyone ordering the P4 today will awake tomorrow to find that iBasso have another killer amp on the way and Skylab has crowned the Stepdance as the best value for money portable amp in his final comparison, but that's life in 2011. Short of holding off indefinitely, or just biting the bullet on a fullsize amp and bidding the little guys farewell, I don't see an alternative for those wanting a powerful portable amp for ~$250 : always happy to hear otherwise. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #89 of 774

Quote:
oohh, i would LOVE to do an A/B with both these units, but my wallet doesn't really like that idea. I guess i'll just wait until more people have reviewd it :)

Yeah, it never hurts to wait until a few reviews come in, preferably on that is not just raving about the product.

Quote:
Quote:

The Ibasso D6 can output 650mWPC, which is a huge amount of power.

But the P4 has the same output power rating and is $30 cheaper - granted, you arent getting a DAC, but for those of us with a dedicated DAC and a preference for SE over balanced, it looks like a no-brainer. If you are prepared to cross the non-iBasso choices off your shortlist, and you want something with a high power rating, the P4 looks like a good choice atm.

Inevitably, anyone ordering the P4 today will awake tomorrow to find that iBasso have another killer amp on the way and Skylab has crowned the Stepdance as the best value for money portable amp in his final comparison, but that's life in 2011. Short of holding off indefinitely, or just biting the bullet on a fullsize amp and bidding the little guys farewell, I don't see an alternative for those wanting a powerful portable amp for ~$250 : always happy to hear otherwise. 

The P4 also has rollable opamps. I personally think it is worth it to go balanced, but that is another discussion and I have a headphone already balanced. The P4 is definitely the powerful amp of choice right now. However, this thread is about the D6, which has a tad more power than the P4 and a 24/96 USB DAC, giving it another range of uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back