iBasso D2-Viper (Pictures, Impressions, and Reviews): Read the Rules!
Mar 18, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #331 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlychild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my low gain PCB. Got to commend iBasso service for including an allen wrench to open the case.

Same here. All I can say is..There is a night and day difference between the High gain and normal model. If EVER there is an argument for the "louder doesnt mean better" argument. This should/IS a prime example that louder isnt better. I've been swapping back and forth between the two for the past hour (not an A/B because I have to swap the op-amps) but the "low gain" is so much easier to listen too. It has to work harder to drive my K701's (Vol pot at 12-1 instead of 10:30 11) but the music actually sounds good. The High gain is just LOUD. I grew to dislike my high gain model for the couple of weeks I've had it. It sounded nothing like my P2. I personally dont see how or why anyone would want that version. But to each his own. At any rate. I had thoughs of selling my D2 if I didnt like the low gain model. But now color me happy with the low gain model. Time to get to breakin it in.

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #332 of 615
My screws got stripped
frown.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #333 of 615
That's why you use the exact sized driver and don't force anything. With small screws, you need to be extremely careful if you want them to last. I have opened and closed my D2 10+ times with the Torx T6, and they (screws) still look like new.

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #334 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never clock watched, but I know it is over 12 hours. Not sure by how much other than it was still running at 12 and I left for a while and it ran out in less than 18 hours while I was gone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive ran it from for 15 hours straight through macbook usb to d2 using pink noise at about 12:00 position.

so id say, its about 15 hours as amp/dac?

I am also getting about 15-18 hours. Good, now that is settled!
cool.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #335 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by circuithero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My screws got stripped
frown.gif

Not a problem, get loctite the one that is meant to be unscrewed. I say so because loctite makes a formula that you can not unscrew.

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #336 of 615
Quote:

Just received my low gain PCB. Got to commend iBasso service for including an allen wrench to open the case.

What do you mean by low gain version? Thanks.

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #337 of 615
This may not be the best place to make this comment, but I am real happy with the quality of the D1. I am also glad I did not move on the D2. It really puzzles me that iBasso did not better check the D2 out before releasing it, particularly the evil grounding issue. Thanks to all of you that were the 'sacrificial guinea pigs' on this experiment. I hope the long term burn ins show this amp to be a big time performer.

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #339 of 615
I just swapped the low gain PCB replacement with the original high-gain one, but now all my IEMs get extremely hot within 5 minutes with this new PCB. I can't keep them in my ear for more than 5 mins.. They also feel hot to the touch.

This happens when the unit is charging and I'm using it. If I use the battery instead, my headphones get warm, but not hot.

Any ideas what might be wrong. On the original PCB, my IEMs never even got warm no matter how long I used them or if I was charging it or not. Did not matter.

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #340 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean by low gain version? Thanks.

iBasso apparently made some "made to order" high gain version of the D2 for a customer. The Low gain version is the original version that the average customer was supposed to get. They sent some of the high gain version's out to a few of us here by mistake, and then sent replacement "low gain" versions PCB to replace the high gain.

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #341 of 615
Quote:

I just swapped the low gain PCB replacement with the original high-gain one, but now all my IEMs get extremely hot within 5 minutes with this new PCB. I can't keep them in my ear for more than 5 mins.. They also feel hot to the touch.

This happens when the unit is charging and I'm using it. If I use the battery instead, my headphones get warm, but not hot.

Any ideas what might be wrong. On the original PCB, my IEMs never even got warm no matter how long I used them or if I was charging it or not. Did not matter.

You might PM HighFlight,and ask him.Also I wouldn't use the amp until someone knowledgeable enough about this can help out.Heat is not good for IEM's.

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #342 of 615
I am definitely not using it. I have emailed them and will wait for an answer. I just hope I did not damage my Klipsch Images. I only let them heat up for about 5 minutes before I quickly unplugged them.

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #343 of 615
Quote:

I am definitely not using it. I have emailed them and will wait for an answer. I just hope I did not damage my Klipsch Images. I only let them heat up for about 5 minutes before I quickly unplugged them.

Wow I hope you didn't damage your Klipsch Images.It doesn't take long to ruin Iem's when they heat up for a period of time.Good luck.

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #344 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why you use the exact sized driver and don't force anything. With small screws, you need to be extremely careful if you want them to last. I have opened and closed my D2 10+ times with the Torx T6, and they (screws) still look like new.

I used the one iBasso gave me. The allen key they gave me seemed to be extremely soft and it just kept spinning after using it on 5 screws.

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #345 of 615
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a problem, get loctite the one that is meant to be unscrewed. I say so because loctite makes a formula that you can not unscrew.

Thanks, I'll try to look for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back