iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Oct 16, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #3,466 of 4,153
Yes it is a pain but I have gotten used to it and expect what I find so it doesn't really go bad. You are right though, you have to be very careful of those traces. I hate having to then use wire to bridge the gap when the trace is lost. iBasso traces seem to stay down pretty good though.

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #3,467 of 4,153
I have a quick question and would appreciate any consideration. I was reading about the Benchmark DAC1 USB on Benchmark's website and read the following blurb... "Digital interconnect cables, electro-magnetic interference, and many other variables introduce jitter into the digital audio. Jitter presents a major problem to most D-to-A converters. Jitter is a type of clock error that, if not properly addressed, can cause the D-to-A to misfire. The result of these misfires is a non-musical, digital distortion.

Many modern (and expensive) converters suffer from severe jitter-induced distortion. Jitter is NOT a problem for the DAC1 and DAC1 USB, which achieve jitter immunity by utilizing the proprietary UltraLock™ clock-recovery system."

I also read some rave reviews on how much the Monarchy DIP improves sound quality on certain gear setups like the Wadia 170i. I listen to music very frequently at my computer using my PC > USB > D10 > IE8. My question is this, would adding a jitter resolution device like like the Monarchy DIP likely improve my sound my quality? If so, how significantly? I would love to hear impressions if anyone has any experience testing one out with their D10 through USB.

Thanks!

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #3,468 of 4,153
Well jitter has been a war since it began to be discussed at a higher rate back in the 1990's. What is the best method to contain and manage it has been addressed with some manufactures claiming incredible results. I have a Monica II asynchronous dac that addresses this in a small way. The measure correctly there are a number of parameters that need to be met and even then there is a debate.

I would read more reviews, trying to hone in on the credible ones and then take it for a spin. Your ears ultimately will be the best judge and if you can't hear a difference or feel one then I would say it doesn't matter with that particular dac but if you can, well, then there you go.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #3,469 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well jitter has been a war since it began to be discussed at a higher rate back in the 1990's. What is the best method to contain and manage it has been addressed with some manufactures claiming incredible results. I have a Monica II asynchronous dac that addresses this in a small way. The measure correctly there are a number of parameters that need to be met and even then there is a debate.

I would read more reviews, trying to hone in on the credible ones and then take it for a spin. Your ears ultimately will be the best judge and if you can't hear a difference or feel one then I would say it doesn't matter with that particular dac but if you can, well, then there you go.

Thanks for the quick reply John. I wish it was as easy for me to find a place that auditions headphone audiophile equipment in Phoenix as it seems to be for a lot of posters on here. I have yet to find a store like this. It's kind of depressing. I haven't seen one person on Head-Fi from here yet and haven't seen one single person walking around with audiophile headphones or IEMs for that matter. The white ipod buds and best buys abound...

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #3,470 of 4,153
I can't say I see any real audiophile phones either. It really is a very niche market within a very large population of humans. Many people are brainwashed into thinking the ipod and buds are "it" or they just don't know but a number of people learn here, to hear the difference. I haven't walked into even a fairly high end audio store that has anything in what I would consider high end or medium end phone setups. Phoenix is a big city, I lived in Tucson for 12 years, but I never saw anything in the way of headphone or digital signal recovery equipment.

Mail order is the way I went, after reading and reading or I built my own equipment.

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #3,471 of 4,153
Any word on a new D11? I'm tossing around the idea of a P3+ or D10, wondering what the difference in the amp section is, if any.

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #3,472 of 4,153
There won't be any D11 for some time from the input I have had to my questions. The D10 will remain current for the foreseeable future.

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #3,473 of 4,153
Anyone know if the opamps being suggested here will fit in the new D4 which is apparently Opamp rollable?

Might pull the trigger on a new D4 if it can take the topkit or similar.

Oct 17, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #3,474 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know if the opamps being suggested here will fit in the new D4 which is apparently Opamp rollable?

Might pull the trigger on a new D4 if it can take the topkit or similar.

Yes, there is a Topkit for the D4. It will, however have a different buffer than the D10, one that will allow for operation at both 5 and 9 volts.

The L-R module will remain the same as in the D10, the TLE2141 modified for Class A operation.

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #3,475 of 4,153
Hmm well with that in mind, I might pull the trigger on a D4. Price is certainly right even with topkit.

Any ideas on where I could acquire said topkit?

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #3,476 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm well with that in mind, I might pull the trigger on a D4. Price is certainly right even with topkit.

Any ideas on where I could acquire said topkit?

One way is to send a PM to HiFlight requesting it. He'll reply, and let you know what to do to obtain it.

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #3,477 of 4,153
I use the dac section quite often to drive the Woo 6 and Lisa III and with the new Grado HF2 phones the sound is very enjoyable and analog like.

On the Black Gates I installed in my D10, I figure they are totally formed now. The sound is clear and concise with good speed and space.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #3,478 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the dac section quite often to drive the Woo 6 and Lisa III and with the new Grado HF2 phones the sound is very enjoyable and analog like.

On the Black Gates I installed in my D10, I figure they are totally formed now. The sound is clear and concise with good speed and space.

With just over 100hrs on my BGs, TLE2141-CA/EL8201 buffers, on my Ety ER4P, the improvements are more apparent on good recordings, not night and day, but easily discernable. I noticed too that bass is tauter, better controlled and the highs are airier.

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #3,479 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With just over 100hrs on my BGs, TLE2141-CA/EL8201 buffers, on my Ety ER4P, the improvements are more apparent on good recordings, not night and day, but easily discernable. I noticed too that bass is tauter, better controlled and the highs are airier.

that is good to know....now the question is...who is willing to help out novices with this kind of mod?

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #3,480 of 4,153
Received the latest topkit from HiFlight today (great service BTW). The sound is very good indeed. I did a short A/B listening with my P51 Mustang, the D10 is still not as warm as the P51, but the sound does seem to come very close to the P51.

A tutorial on installing Blackgates would be great, although I'm a little hesitant to solder into my D10
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back