iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Oct 12, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #3,452 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by hvu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering what are the specs for the tle2141.
When I look on the TI website their seems to be 4 different versions of the tle2141.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

The differences are in case style and packaging. All of the different versions perform similarly for audio use. I use the DIP case style, as it is easier for me to modify for Class A operation.

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #3,454 of 4,153
I finally swapped the Nichicon caps with Blackgates this evening. It took us 3 hours. A tech at work removed the old caps and I soldered the BG caps. It was a PIA to put it back in the case. Now the burning starts.

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #3,455 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally swapped the Nichicon caps with Blackgates this evening. It took us 3 hours. A tech at work removed the old caps and I soldered the BG caps. It was a PIA to put it back in the case. Now the burning starts.

3 hours! It should have taken 10 or 15 minutes! Just kidding.

Ain't it fun though. :^)

Oct 15, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #3,456 of 4,153
It only took 5 minutes to remove the old caps and solder the BGs. BUT, it took me 175 minutes to slide the board back in.
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3 hours! It should have taken 10 or 15 minutes! Just kidding.

Ain't it fun though. :^)

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #3,458 of 4,153
I have the latest top kit and about 175 hours on the black gates. Really impressed at the sound. I have listened a lot during the black gate burn in. Changes have been subtle. I noticed the speed improvement right away though. I find the synergy with the HF2s to be fantastic.

PS. I had the same experience with the BG mod. I was a EE undergrad and have done a lot of soldering in my day. This board is really small though and as you say, the fit is tough. It is also important to slide the caps around a little to provide the fit. Probably obvious, but requires some planning on the lengths of the leads. I intend to post more details about my experience but have been too busy with work. Hopefully will get it typed up over the weekend. Filing down the inside of the case was brutal, but very necessary. In addition to filing down the side ridges, I found that the channels for the screws were the ones which really dug into the big BGs. I found a way to file these without rendering the screw channels useless.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #3,459 of 4,153
Come on guys, it isn't all that hard. Your going to discourage the adventurous. :^)

Black Gates can take up to 1000 hours to totally settle (form) due to their unique makeup, which is unlike any other cap made. Nothing else like them on the market and still nothing on the horizon. Just too much of a niche market.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #3,460 of 4,153
I have 25 hours so far with the BGs and I already could hear subtle improvements.

The good thing is at work we have a microscope to check for shorts. Also, to remove the old caps, we had to set the solder iron at a higher temp. The solder is lead-free (RoHS). We had to be real careful not to burn the trace. I also put some tape to prevent shorts on the trace and the cap leads. I didn't have to file the inside.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #3,461 of 4,153
Yes, the new solder is horrible to work with.. Here is what I do. Use your good solder (I use some that still has lead in it) and melt some of that into the solder to be removed. You will conduct the heat better and now the solder will also remove much easier.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #3,462 of 4,153
Quote:

Come on guys, it isn't all that hard. Your going to discourage the adventurous. :^)

Black Gates can take up to 1000 hours to totally settle (form) due to their unique makeup, which is unlike any other cap made. Nothing else like them on the market and still nothing on the horizon. Just too much of a niche market.

LOL...we are just preparing those who are planning to do this what to expect.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #3,463 of 4,153
Quote:

Yes, the new solder is horrible to work with.. Here is what I do. Use your good solder (I use some that still has lead in it) and melt some of that into the solder to be removed. You will conduct the heat better and now the solder will also remove much easier.

This is exactly what we did to remove the old solder, we also used a solder sucker to clean out the old solder.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #3,464 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is exactly what we did to remove the old solder, we also used a solder sucker to clean out the old solder.

Yes I use a solder sucker and also wick. Wick with flux works very well and sometimes better than the solder sucker.

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #3,465 of 4,153
Quote:

Yes I use a solder sucker and also wick. Wick with flux works very well and sometimes better than the solder sucker.

Yup, that too. I had the tech at work do the removal and clean-up before I soldered the BGs myself, the easiest part of the work. Even he said that it isn't a walk in the park and he does this for a living.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back