iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Jul 1, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #2,626 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, Well I am temporary using the d10 only because I have noise problems with my woo and dx1000. I must say thought he d10 sounds VERY good with the dx1000 which is 64 ohm and 105db.
Greetings, Anouk,

Oh, you have a DX1000 now, Anouk.
How does it compare to your Ultrasone on the D10?

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #2,627 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastdodobird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it worth getting the D10 over the D3 even if you aren't planning to use the optical or coaxial?

The D10 sounds better than D3, regardless of the input you use.

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #2,628 of 4,153
The D10 while having a minor amount of hiss that in no way gets into the music, sounds very fine with the JH13's.

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #2,629 of 4,153
A couple of other questions:

1) If I accidentally fry the D10 while opamp rolling (even using the chips they provided), that voids the warrany, no?
smily_headphones1.gif

2) How long would you guys recommend using the D10 before opening it to do opamp rolling?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say so. The D10 can be recharged via USB, whereas the D3 is AAA cells only. No recharge capablitlity. (you can use rechargeable AAAs, but they need to be removed to charge externally) This may or may not be a deciding factor for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's your personal decision.
The D10 sounds a touch more open and natural with the right opamp than the D3. The D3 has similar qualities like transparence ......
With the 5 AAA batteries or rechargeables the D3 has more power than the D10, lasting for a longer time.

Thanks! The battery life won't be a problem I think, since a way to recharge the D10 will always be accessible to me. I can always charge it while I'm asleep. Hehe.

Although one concern I have regarding the battery though: How long will it take before you will need to change the battery of the D10, and where should you look for one? Will iBasso be able to provide it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D10 sounds better than D3, regardless of the input you use.

Great! Just the type of short and concise answer I was looking for, LOL
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #2,630 of 4,153
Quote:

2) How long would you guys recommend using the D10 before opening it to do opamp rolling?

The best way to change opamp is to ground yourself with a grounded wrist strap.
Also if you want to be extra safe just put the amp and stuff on a static bag.
wrist_strap.jpg

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #2,632 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by hvu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best way to change opamp is to ground yourself with a grounded wrist strap.
Also if you want to be extra safe just put the amp and stuff on a static bag.
wrist_strap.jpg

Quote:

^ What does that protect against?

Dude, it prevents static discharge from frying the amp.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #2,634 of 4,153
Hi Rhw! I have the dx1000 but I have decided to go open phone for hom euse so it is already sold. I must say thought hat it is the best sounding closed phone that I have had, i prefer it to the pro900 with the d10 although it does sound even better (wider soundstage, more open) with my woo, despite the problems I am having. It is more ocmfortabl ethen the pro900 but the good thing about the pro900 is that you can fold it up and that it is very rugged so you can use it on the road, i would not recommend this with the jvc.
It should be fairly easy to get the jvc and I do not think (although I might be wrong) that the new price of the jvc and pro900 is very different. If you are looking for a close dphone fo rhome use I would really recommend the jvc. I know a lot of people say that a portable amp is not enough for these, but I disagree.
Greetings, Anouk,.

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #2,636 of 4,153
here you go. from an old post on this thread that takes you step by step. This is what I used when opamp rolling....

hope it helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlaged /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How to dissasemble and reasemble the D10 without trauma.

Front of the Unit is the side which has the volume control knob.

Caution:
1). Ensure that you have grounded your fingers before touching any board mounted object. Do not touch board pins or circuitry with fingers or with metallic objects to prohibit electrical damage due to static electricity.
2). Do not over torque the faceplate retaining screws as the housing threads are easily stripped.

Dissasembly;
After removing the front four faceplate securing screws, (on the volume knob side) push on the coax receptacle at the rear end with finger, this slides the main board out far enough until it can be gripped by the SIDES between thumb and forefinger to gently pull the main board further out, about 3~4 cm, enough to acccess the three IC's only.
Don't pull on the volume knob to remove the board, this will stress the volume potentiometer (pot), and the volume knob might pull off it's mount shaft, it's only fixed with a dab of glue.

Removal and Orientation of opamp (1 of), and Buffers (2 of) in DIP soctkets;
Use long nose pliers only on the sides of the opamp and buffer IC boards to wiggle and pull the opamps and buffers loose, lift the IC's vertically to remove from DIP boards, or use a non metallic object to gently pry and symmetrically lift the IC's clear of their respective DIP sockets.
For correct orientation of the IC amp and the DIP socket line up the little "half circle" that's printed on the side of each IC amp board, and on the recipient DIP socket there's a little "half circle" that is missing from one side of the DIP socket.

Reassembly;
When sliding the main board back into its receptacle ensure that the plugs and respective cutaways on the rear-end are correctly lined up so that the LED's and USB plug are correctly seated and that the main board doesn't protrude a tiny bit at the front which will prevent the front faceplate from seating correctly.

If you're struggling to realign the rear faceplate cut-outs with board components loosen the rear faceplate retaining screws just enough so that the rear faceplate is loose, seat the board and rear faceplate correctly and re-tighten the rear faceplate screws. Re-align the front faceplate, refit the screws.

and I now await the howls of derision for this post as it's of no use at "The End"

Jul 3, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #2,638 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can feed Dac of D10 24bit/96

yes
Quote:

and 24bit/196 Khz???

well you can feed it to it 24/192, but it will downsample to 24/96 I think; i'll double check that and get back to you. optical will not support 24/192 under normal circumstances (well not the receiver in the D10 AFAIK) coax may, as the WM8740 supports it; i'll check and update tomorrow. of course i'm not sure whether i'll be able to tell for sure since my ears arent that golden. I have not reliably been able to pick 24/192 DAC from 24/96 DAC previously; 24/192 ADC is easier to pick so yeah whether I will be able to tell if its been downsampled by the circuit or not we shall see

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #2,639 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also curious as to how dangerous it is to roll opamps.

What are the chances that you're going to fry your amp if you're a newbie without the proper gear?

Is there a good tutorial anywhere here? Will try to google and search around as well.

It is really not dangerous. Using a ground strap to ground yourself first ensures that you don't zap the circuit board with ESD (electro-static discharge). People working at electronic manufacturing use ground straps all the time.

This is the one I use. That alligator clip is attached to a banana clip. I just pull out the alligator clip and insert the banana clip to the ground of my ac receptacle.

ux_a08053000ux0040_ux_c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back