iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Apr 29, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #1,921 of 4,153
Sorry, duplicated post.

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #1,922 of 4,153
That behavior is perfectly normal. The delay is due to the microprocessor deciding which input to activate. The hiss when turning the amp off is due to the decreasing voltage to the opamp. Different opamps exhibit slightly different characteristics when shutting down.

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #1,923 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone, and yes I was careful not to press on the chip itself but on the edges while sitting it back on the socket.

The AD8599 really change the sound around for the Edition 9. It was really thin on the mid with stock opamp on the Edition 9. Now the viola sounds much better. However, I did realize that there is no sound coming on for 1~2 second when I first turn on my D10 even when the source is there. When I turn the unit off, I can hear sort of a hissing sound dying off. There is no such "hiss" when the unit is in operation (not powering up/down). I don't recall hearing this before rolling. May be I will try to roll the original opamp back in and see.

Like HiFlight says, don't worry about the 1-2 second delay on start up, or the hiss as the opamp drains power when you shut off - that is fine. I'm very interested in more of your impressions with the AD8599 and Edition 9.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #1,924 of 4,153
Hi everybody,

So, D10 came in a few days ago and I've been playing. A set of Westone 3's came in at the same time, so I've really been playing. I do have a few questions for the great minds that have produced this mammoth information thread.

I am listening to WASAPI USB --> Foobar FLAC --> D10 and either Westone 3's or HD650's.

1) I can barely get the volume out of the HD650's that I would like. Should I roll Opamps or Buffers? or both? I have never rolled, so any detail will help. And I will spend some time reviewing this thread today. The sound from the Westone's is amazing. But I could use a little more power for the HD650's. Where should I start?

2) I have tried Aux in/out from the D10 to the Rega Ear and get good sound from the HD650's. But I have a really bad interconnect and really just want to get rid of the Rega (sell it). Should I keep it? Output to the Rega for amping of the HD650's and use the D10 as a DAC alone, or can I get more from the D10 amp section, and skip the extra interconnect and circuit board?

3) Is there any way to output 96000Hz with WASAPI USB through foobar to the D10? I keep having to switch from WASAPI USB output to DS:USB output so that I can play my vinyl rips. Then I get Vista noise because my computer is busy and seems to introduce subtle clicks every now and again. Can I get foobar to automatically switch when it reads a 96000Hz vs. 44100Hz track?

Finally, I love this little amp/dac! I love it with the Westone 3's. I can hardly believe the sound out of the IEM's. It easily rivals the HD650's, without some of the soundstage that the circumaurals seem to reproduce.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for writing about the D10. It has been an enormous help and has provided me with the opportunity to listen to music like never before. I am in love again.

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #1,925 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadDoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everybody,

1) I can barely get the volume out of the HD650's that I would like. Should I roll Opamps or Buffers? or both? I have never rolled, so any detail will help. And I will spend some time reviewing this thread today. The sound from the Westone's is amazing. But I could use a little more power for the HD650's. Where should I start?

Yes, there are different power output with different opamps. I can't remember who posted this before (I think its HiFlight) and here you go:

--------------------------------------------------------
Most output power (without buffers)

AD8397: 320ma
AD8656: 220ma
AD8616 150ma
THS4032 80ma
LMH6655 80ma
--------------------------------------------------------

Rolling the opamp is not difficult. I basically unscrewed the front plate and pull the circuit board out. I only need to get it half way out. You will see three chips on sockets. The top one is the opamp and the bottom two that sit side-by-side are the buffers. Make sure you ground yourself before you do it. You can see the previous page while I asked about these questions and the answer I received.

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #1,926 of 4,153
Thanks HiFlight and Larry.

I find the AD8599 has a wide soundstage. Before, I tried to ignore the thin mid with Edition 9 with stock setup, but it just bordered me so much that I had to stop. With the AD8599 rolled in, the entire experience just changed. The music (classical) came out quite nicely and was enjoyable. I went back to those albums that I tried earlier, they were much better now. I find everything is slightly on the brighter side and not as realistic.

I have just rolled in the AD8066 and find it much better. I will try it with my Edition 9 tonight at home. I like to do the rolling at my work place since there is a static controlled environment setup here.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #1,927 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks HiFlight and Larry.

I find the AD8599 has a wide soundstage. Before, I tried to ignore the thin mid with Edition 9 with stock setup, but it just bordered me so much that I had to stop. With the AD8599 rolled in, the entire experience just changed. The music (classical) came out quite nicely and was enjoyable. I went back to those albums that I tried earlier, they were much better now. I find everything is slightly on the brighter side and not as realistic.

I have just rolled in the AD8066 and find it much better. I will try it with my Edition 9 tonight at home. I like to do the rolling at my work place since there is a static controlled environment setup here.

yes, the AD8066 is very nice, what buffers are you using?? goes well with 8656. for clasical I think OPA2228 would be great as would OPA2111 (both have very sweet highs and large soundstage.

and about the static, its time for me to start taking precautions again, its getting cold and dry here in brisbane as a change from hot and humid when I dont need to bother

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #1,928 of 4,153
Thanks,

Rolled in the AD8656 and now get the volume that I wanted. Are the two circuit boards that lack chips the bypasses that I keep hearing about? They came with the other Ibasso kit. I read that the AD8656 sounds good with bypassed buffers and would like to try that too.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #1,929 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, the AD8066 is very nice, what buffers are you using?? goes well with 8656. for clasical I think OPA2228 would be great as would OPA2111 (both have very sweet highs and large soundstage.

and about the static, its time for me to start taking precautions again, its getting cold and dry here in brisbane as a change from hot and humid when I dont need to bother

I have AD8066 with stock buffer (don't really know what that is, I should have take note of it when I had the circuit board out). So far, I am really enjoying the AD8066 with my UE Triple-fi 10 at work here. Is OPA2228 better than AD8066? I do have it but do not have plan to roll it in since the AD8066 is sounding so good. I do not have any other buffers other than the stock one and whatever comes with the D10 in the kit.

Thanks about the warning on static. That is why I only do it at work here were I know I am going to be fine.

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #1,930 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadDoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks,

Rolled in the AD8656 and now get the volume that I wanted. Are the two circuit boards that lack chips the bypasses that I keep hearing about? They came with the other Ibasso kit. I read that the AD8656 sounds good with bypassed buffers and would like to try that too.

yeah the ones that have nothing but a tiny little chip (dummy) are the bypassed buffers, they are simply a place-holder that provide no extra current. if you want more current, then bypassed buffers are not for you. some of the higher current op-amps will give a reasonable amount of drive, but still not the amount a buffered output will give.

so headDoc, unless you are using a high current op-amp in the amp position, I wouldnt bother with the bypassed buffers as you have expressed a preference for higher power.

LeeSC: the stock buffers vary from unit to unit it seems, but they are usually either 4032 or LMH6643.

as for the OPA2228 vs 8066 yes I prefer it, the 8066 is very nice, but the OPA2228 is more to my preference. I tend to like the burr brown opamps to the analogue devices ones, perhaps the topkit will change my mind on that, but for the moment OPA2111 and OPA2228 with 8656 are the 2 for me. I do enjoy 8066 and LMH4032 too, they would be my top 4 out of the ones I have currently. not all opamps have enough current to use the bypassed buffers with, the circuit needs a certain amount to remain stable.

as for the static thing. yes dry environments (less humid) are much more prone to static in the air. So are air-conditioned offices, that would be a good reason for your work to be controlled in this way. they probably use a specialized air-conditioning system to keep a certain amount of moisture in the air. also in dry conditions wearing polyester is a bad idea if playing with the D10 or other electronics

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #1,931 of 4,153
I am glad to see the 8656 included in my D10 rolling kit! I do have OPA2228 and I will give them a try later after I hear this current setting with my Edition 9.

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #1,932 of 4,153
Thanks,

So, I guess I can roll the stuff that came in the kit, but I gotta say, I am listening to Norah Jones right now through the HD650's and I don't think I need to do a darn thing. I had no idea what I was missing! Eagles Hotel California blew me away. I am very pleased. The Westone 3's may be a bit warm and Bassy with the AD8656 but that's not so bad.

Thanks so much for helping me get here. All that's left is to enjoy the music.

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #1,933 of 4,153
Note...The THS4032 is NOT included by iBasso, but is a very good opamp. The stock buffers are the AD8532. Also included are the LMH6643 and AD8656 both of which work well as buffers. The AD8532 has a somewhat higher noise figure than the others.

Ron

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah the ones that have nothing but a tiny little chip (dummy) are the bypassed buffers, they are simply a place-holder that provide no extra current. if you want more current, then bypassed buffers are not for you. some of the higher current op-amps will give a reasonable amount of drive, but still not the amount a buffered output will give.

so headDoc, unless you are using a high current op-amp in the amp position, I wouldnt bother with the bypassed buffers as you have expressed a preference for higher power.

LeeSC: the stock buffers vary from unit to unit it seems, but they are usually either 4032 or LMH6643.

as for the OPA2228 vs 8066 yes I prefer it, the 8066 is very nice, but the OPA2228 is more to my preference. I tend to like the burr brown opamps to the analogue devices ones, perhaps the topkit will change my mind on that, but for the moment OPA2111 and OPA2228 with 8656 are the 2 for me. I do enjoy 8066 and LMH4032 too, they would be my top 4 out of the ones I have currently. not all opamps have enough current to use the bypassed buffers with, the circuit needs a certain amount to remain stable.

as for the static thing. yes dry environments (less humid) are much more prone to static in the air. So are air-conditioned offices, that would be a good reason for your work to be controlled in this way. they probably use a specialized air-conditioning system to keep a certain amount of moisture in the air. also in dry conditions wearing polyester is a bad idea if playing with the D10 or other electronics

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #1,934 of 4,153
you are quite correct, but they included different buffers to what is listed on their site. cant remember the 8532 is the buffers I got not 4032, along with 8656 I remembered the suffix wrong

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #1,935 of 4,153
Wow, AD8066 with stock buffer and Edition 9 sounds so good. The sound is well balanced. Compare that to AD8599, the high is not as bright (I actually find AD8599's high a touch too bright), and nicer bass. I am not trying to say the AD8599 is bad, but for my case for what I am trying to pair it with and the type of music I am listening to, the AD8066 is a better choice. I will give OPA2228/8656 a try some time, but I am in no rush. :)

Larry, I am keeping it. :wink: Just can't take it off now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back