iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Mar 8, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #1,306 of 4,153
Just tried the ad8397 with bypassed buffers. It is beautiful, truly refined and very resolving. The sound seems so balanced throughout the frequencies and just sounds so good. I have just been playing around with the opamps and had tried the opa2228 with ad8656 buffers and the highs seemed ever so slightly harsh.

What's your favourite op-amp and buffer config at the moment and why?

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #1,308 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for a USB DAC/Amp for my laptop, which is an Asus Eee 1000he. I don't have an optical out, so it will have to be connected through the USB.

How does the USB input on the D10 compare to the USB input on the Pico and the Predator? If there is only a minute difference, I think I wouldn't mind saving the $200.

Also, what are some good full-sized cans that will work nicely with this amp. I want something with a lot of detail, so I was thinking of buying the ATH-ESW10JPN. Would this be a good choice with this amp?

The D10 USB DAC's detail and performance is only a tiny bit behind the Pico's USB DAC, and a bit ahead of the Predator USB.

It sounds good with ESW10JPN.

Quote:

Originally Posted by legend24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I was planning to use it mainly for portable use, looks from the review it will fare better if used as an dac, well probably give this a miss

Mainly because you should see the exchange rate in Singapore here, American dollar has grown strong, probably due to the recession something to do with the monetary policy maybe

Just to clarify if I wish to change the opamp do I have to desolder and solder another opamp onto it? Or I could used something like this Image Gallery
and just insert it with ease and change it whenever I want
Correct me if I've used the wrong technical terms

I posted in my review that it sounded good with my iMod and analog input.

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #1,309 of 4,153
hey guys, I decided to ransack my whole house and found my vintage cd player
and since I cant the most quality music out of my Mp3, I've decided to look for alternative my cd player, apparently it has a

Optical SPDIF Out
look like these
Image001-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Can I get the most out of it through the Coaxial or optical?
Is it possible to convert both the ends to either coaxial or optical output?

Cause the arrangement is that
Cd player-> The one on the pic-> Menu button->earphones
I am planning to use those output and connect them to either the optical or coaxial of D10

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #1,310 of 4,153
Quote:

and since I cant the most quality music out of my Mp3, I've decided to look for alternative my cd player, apparently it has a

Optical SPDIF Out
look like these
Image001-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Cause the arrangement is that
Cd player-> The one on the pic-> Menu button->earphones
I am planning to use those output and connect them to either the optical or coaxial of D10

You can use an optical with mini connector on one end and toslink on the other, and connect to the D10 and get great sound via D10 DAC. It doesn't do coax unless you buy a box that converts optical to coax, but there is no point in doing that when you can use optical directly.

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #1,311 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just tried the ad8397 with bypassed buffers. It is beautiful, truly refined and very resolving. The sound seems so balanced throughout the frequencies and just sounds so good. I have just been playing around with the opamps and had tried the opa2228 with ad8656 buffers and the highs seemed ever so slightly harsh.

What's your favourite op-amp and buffer config at the moment and why?

so far I'm only happy with AD8397 with bypass buffer and ad8066 with ad8656 buffer config. I'm thinking of trying ad8616 or ad8059 as the buffer for ad8066.

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #1,312 of 4,153
Quote:

Well, I was planning to use it mainly for portable use, looks from the review it will fare better if used as an dac, well probably give this a miss

Mainly because you should see the exchange rate in Singapore here, American dollar has grown strong, probably due to the recession something to do with the monetary policy maybe

Just to clarify if I wish to change the opamp do I have to desolder and solder another opamp onto it? Or I could used something like this Image Gallery
and just insert it with ease and change it whenever I want
Correct me if I've used the wrong technical terms

In Singapore, the local dealer is Stereo Electronic. I bought mine off Stereo Electronic when ibasso still enjoying their Chinese New Year holidays. If you do not need the DAC, P3 is a good alternative to look at.

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #1,313 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so far I'm only happy with AD8397 with bypass buffer and ad8066 with ad8656 buffer config. I'm thinking of trying ad8616 or ad8059 as the buffer for ad8066.

Did you try the AD8656 with bypassed buffers, as that sounds pretty good too?

I have been using the LTC6241HV with the stock buffers for the past few days and like it, but I will be trying my AD8599 tomorrow, with a variety of buffers. I need to also try my AD8066 again.

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #1,314 of 4,153
I wonder how does the D10 perform purely as an amp? Compares to other iBassos like D3 or P3, or other good portable amps like Predator or 3Move?

You guys would probabaly wonder why I even considered the D10 if I don't need a DAC. I heard the D3 and the P3. To my ears D3 sounds better than P3 in stock form, and since I am considering the D3 I see no reason to exclude other amps with DAC. Though some reports that the P3 improves when opamps ae rolled, P3 users seems to be pretty scarce here.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #1,315 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how does the D10 perform purely as an amp? Compares to other iBassos like D3 or P3, or other good portable amps like Predator or 3Move?

You guys would probabaly wonder why I even considered the D10 if I don't need a DAC. I heard the D3 and the P3. To my ears D3 sounds better than P3 in stock form, and since I am considering the D3 I see no reason to exclude other amps with DAC. Though some reports that the P3 improves when opamps ae rolled, P3 users seems to be pretty scarce here.

I don't owned the d3 or p3 but i have auditioned it several times. I agree the d3 does sound better in stock form but once you start rolling opamps, it's a different ballgame. Also the d10 performs much better compared to my previous amps in my sig and also the d3 and even p3 with rolled opamps in just it's stock config. My friend who has an 5.5g imod with p51-mustang was amazed with my rig and we exchanged sessions intensively and came to an agreement that we were on toe to toe. However the p51 seems to have a wider soundstage and sounds more airy while the d10 has more vocal and musical presentation.

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #1,316 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you try the AD8656 with bypassed buffers, as that sounds pretty good too?

I have been using the LTC6241HV with the stock buffers for the past few days and like it, but I will be trying my AD8599 tomorrow, with a variety of buffers. I need to also try my AD8066 again.

AD8397 with AD8658 as buffer, the bass seems a little uncontrolled and distorted to my ear. AD8397 by itself, is quite aggressive. ad8599 sound similar to ad8066 but with stronger bass and a little less transparent mid and slightly smaller soundstage.

All the above finding is my opinion and may not be the same for everyone.

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #1,317 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't owned the d3 or p3 but i have auditioned it several times. I agree the d3 does sound better in stock form but once you start rolling opamps, it's a different ballgame. Also the d10 performs much better compared to my previous amps in my sig and also the d3 and even p3 with rolled opamps in just it's stock config. My friend who has an 5.5g imod with p51-mustang was amazed with my rig and we exchanged sessions intensively and came to an agreement that we were on toe to toe. However the p51 seems to have a wider soundstage and sounds more airy while the d10 has more vocal and musical presentation.

have you try rolling D10? imo, SMIV is better than p51 and D10 after all my mod is in the same class as diablo

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #1,318 of 4,153
Quote:

The jack on the Left is probably not for a Coaxial digital out. PDCPs had jacks like that for the remote.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #1,319 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

May I know what P3 opamp combo that you heard that is better than the D3?

I find your comment regarding D10 and P51 interesting. I thought the P51 has an intimate vocal presentation, and the D10 is even more so? I don't recall the sound stage of P51 being particularly large too.

How would you describe the D10 in relative to D3? I find D3 has a wide soundstage. It has a fun sound that somewhat like a surround effect, but not too realistic sounding. And it seems to have a bump somewhere between the middle midrange and upper midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back