iBasso D10. .UPDATES 1st page, with Current Opamp Choices by HiFlight . . . images page 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 71
Jun 11, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #2,371 of 4,153
yep, thats what i have been trying to say but I guess i coudn't describe it well...

I'm glad to hear i'm not just imagining it...
darthsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean the instruments' image become flatter, less dimensional and less separation. That's exactly what I hear as well.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #2,372 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by LevA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep, thats what i have been trying to say but I guess i coudn't describe it well...

I'm glad to hear i'm not just imagining it...
darthsmile.gif

I'm still puzzled as to why the gain toggle switch has that effect. But more so with the USB with the same digital song file.

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #2,373 of 4,153
probably true with the USB. I first realized it when I had it hooked on my ipod>LOD when I was playing around with the gain switch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still puzzled as to why the gain toggle switch has that effect. But more so with the USB with the same digital song file.

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #2,374 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What pins is it to bias, 5 and 6 tied together with 5 cut off?

x2 Is this the method for biasing OpAmps to Class A? I'm a little confused because on my PPAv2 this is achieved with trimmers. Can you comment Ron, I wouldn't want to be missing out on anything
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #2,375 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been experimenting with several single-channel opamps modified to run Class A. Basic SQ is not much changed, but the detail and resolution is improved, especially in top tier amps like the D10 and P3 (and P3+).

To appreciate the subtle nuances revealed by using Class A bias, it does, of course, require the use of high-quality upstream components and good phones. High bitrate or lossless recordings are also a must.

To date, I am using output bypassed AD744s running Class A, AD743 Class A, and OPA27 Class A for use as a P3 buffer.

And the rolling continues!!!!!!

WOW
class A in the D10
(how does the AD743 classA sound in comparison to your topkit?)

once more
you are pushing the envelope,
attacking my wallet, Ron
wink.gif

or
can the topkit be modified?

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #2,376 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't mean to ignore you, but I went on a trip and just came back. I hope you have found your answers. Yes, I did order 2 220 and 2 470 uF 6.3V BG. I got the NX.

Thanks for the reply!

Never thought it that way. I always think that headfiers are one of the most generous people in the world. Cheers.

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #2,377 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW
class A in the D10
(how does the AD743 classA sound in comparison to your topkit?)

once more
you are pushing the envelope,
attacking my wallet, Ron
wink.gif

or
can the topkit be modified?

Will AD743 class hiss with ES3X?

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #2,378 of 4,153
hisses slightly with SE530 and W3, so I would say yes

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #2,379 of 4,153
I prefer optical to USB by far when driving D10 or D10->lisa from my Mac-> RME Fireface 400, but I prefer Coax over both of them. (cryo 7N UP-OCC silver double shielded (5N silver foil and SPC braid) with silver bullets.
just use a plain USB cable (remedying that shortly after some more research) but I just find that both optical and coax have considerably more air and dynamism, with added resolution. USB to me sounds like its trying too hard and is a little congested IMO, while spdif produces effortless detail.

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #2,380 of 4,153
Do you get Coax digital from your Mac? Have I missed something?
wink.gif

I always prefered digital coax to digital optical, too.
I would describe it in the way that with digital out from the Mac to the iBasso d10 the sound becomes more detailed (so far natural), while over USB it is "harder", some micro resolution missing.
(On the iBasso D3 this effect is compensated by a smoother amp part.)
Connected to an USB Monica (which has a reclocking unit - Does any portable have such a feature?) this effect is less obvious .... I can not recognize it.

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #2,381 of 4,153
Quote:

it seems the AUX IN jack is faulty.

edu, I have had information from iBasso that they "are using another brand's jack now".

That is all they said in relation to my request that they use better quality components in my similarly afflicted D10. Let's hope that deals with the issue.

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #2,382 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by LevA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw i've just been playing with the gain switch. when on low gain with the esw10's the mid are a bit recessed (I hope this is the correct definition) which gives it depth and the soundstage feels like 3D.
when I put on high gain, I don't get much difference in sound volume (overall except for the mids) but I am hearing the mids becoming more forward and louder, where the sound is quite nice but without much depth.

In some opamp configurations, I don't notice ANY difference when going hi gain from low, in terms of SQ, and sometimes there is no difference in volume either.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #2,383 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 Is this the method for biasing OpAmps to Class A? I'm a little confused because on my PPAv2 this is achieved with trimmers. Can you comment Ron, I wouldn't want to be missing out on anything
tongue_smile.gif

Yes, this is the method for modifying a 744 or 5534 for Class A operation.

One must remove the #6 pin, connect the #5 pin to the #6 solder pad, then use a 2.2k resistor to bridge #6 to #7 pin.

There isn't much room on an adapter for using 1/4 or 1/8 watt resistors, so I use SMD resistors. They are so tiny that they don't interfere with mounting 2 modules onto a 2>1 adapter.

I haven't yet found a good (easy) way to modify a dual-channel opamp to Class A operation. Maybe down the road when I get more hacking time.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #2,384 of 4,153
Quote:

Originally Posted by clasam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In some opamp configurations, I don't notice ANY difference when going hi gain from low, in terms of SQ, and sometimes there is no difference in volume either.

The D10 gain switch actually only results in a 3db difference in gain. This is about the lowest volume change one can detect by listening.

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #2,385 of 4,153
Oh yeah, I made some adapters up with smd resistors. I have no idea where they are. That was so long ago Ron. All that work on the Xin amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back