iBasso D10 + Little Dot MK III = ?
Oct 20, 2009 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

adrift

500+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of HD650s and an iBasso D10. I'm planning on purchasing a Little Dot MK III tomorrow, and I was wondering if it made any sense to pair up that amp with the D10 using the D10 as the DAC... I haven't found any other threads where I saw those two paired up and was wondering if maybe there was a reason for that (other than the impracticality of owning a portable amp/DAC and HD650s).

Also, if that combo will work pretty well, how do you combine the two? I'm assuming source to D10 optical or usb and then from D10 Aux out to MKIII's L/R input and then, naturally, headphone out.

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 20
well i don't think the dac would make a huge difference actually, if your using a cdplayer u've got L/R, if ur using a pc may as well plug it into the line out, the only reason you would want the D10 that i can think of is that the device only has an optical output or that your using a desktop and there's huge noise in the line out of the sound card... ur basically using a cable between D10 and MK III so may as well skip the D10 unless it's a work around to cut the noise...

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuponton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a very big undertaking to do a website like that. I'm just saying that if you want to make something like this, work your way up. Start with simple websites and add functionality afterwards. This is not a 5 hour website.

mods, What ?

fuponton, pls tell me that you had a couple of pages open, and you've responded to some poor fellow who is putting a website together with advice on DACs and headphone amps ?? If not, I have completely lost it and the men in white coats should be here any minute ...
confused_face.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, if that combo will work pretty well, how do you combine the two? I'm assuming source to D10 optical or usb and then from D10 Aux out to MKIII's L/R input and then, naturally, headphone out.

that would make a pretty killer rig. you would need a mini-rca cable to connect the aux out of the D10 to the MKIII. i used to own the MKIII and it's a fantastic amp and goes very well with the HD650. i own the D10 now and it's a fantastic little device and incredible sounding dac for the money. the D10 by itself won't power the HD650 to its fullest so getting the MKIII was a good choice. having them together should sound terrific.

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

I have a pair of HD650s and an iBasso D10. I'm planning on purchasing a Little Dot MK III tomorrow, and I was wondering if it made any sense to pair up that amp with the D10 using the D10 as the DAC... I haven't found any other threads where I saw those two paired up and was wondering if maybe there was a reason for that (other than the impracticality of owning a portable amp/DAC and HD650s).

Why not? The D10 is a pretty decent DAC (especially via optical/coaxial) for its price so the setup should be OK. I too am getting a tube amp myself and will be using the D10 as DAC
beerchug.gif

You need a mini-to-RCA cable for connecting the D10's aux out to the MK3.

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by milford302009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i don't think the dac would make a huge difference actually, if your using a cdplayer u've got L/R, if ur using a pc may as well plug it into the line out, the only reason you would want the D10 that i can think of is that the device only has an optical output or that your using a desktop and there's huge noise in the line out of the sound card... ur basically using a cable between D10 and MK III so may as well skip the D10 unless it's a work around to cut the noise...

Hmm, first time I've seen someone on this board advise to bypass the DAC altogether? I was under the impression that the D10's DAC was one of its biggest selling features. But yes, it does cut out all of the computer noise (which is something I was plagued by before I bought the D10) and sounds great by itself. I'm sure the built-in amp has something to do with the SQ I experience through the D10 right now, but the DAC output must be playing a role in this as well I'm assuming (beyond getting rid of the computer noise).

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mods, What ?

fuponton, pls tell me that you had a couple of pages open, and you've responded to some poor fellow who is putting a website together with advice on DACs and headphone amps ?? If not, I have completely lost it and the men in white coats should be here any minute ...
confused_face.gif

You haven't lost it. This board seems to get hit by this junk fairly often. Bizarro stuff.

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that would make a pretty killer rig. you would need a mini-rca cable to connect the aux out of the D10 to the MKIII. i used to own the MKIII and it's a fantastic amp and goes very well with the HD650. i own the D10 now and it's a fantastic little device and incredible sounding dac for the money. the D10 by itself won't power the HD650 to its fullest so getting the MKIII was a good choice. having them together should sound terrific.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not? The D10 is a pretty decent DAC (especially via optical/coaxial) for its price so the setup should be OK. I too am getting a tube amp myself and will be using the D10 as DAC
beerchug.gif

You need a mini-to-RCA cable for connecting the D10's aux out to the MK3.

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback, exactly what I was looking for.

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Hmm, first time I've seen someone on this board advise to bypass the DAC altogether? I was under the impression that the D10's DAC was one of its biggest selling features. But yes, it does cut out all of the computer noise (which is something I was plagued by before I bought the D10) and sounds great by itself. I'm sure the built-in amp has something to do with the SQ I experience through the D10 right now, but the DAC output must be playing a role in this as well I'm assuming (beyond getting rid of the computer noise).

basically my conclusion is that if your using a computer(headphone jack/ line out will have noise) or a small mp3 player, the dac is handy in cutting out the noise and do a great job in converting the signal, but if you have a decent output from a desktop CD player, i fail to see the point, since the converter inside the player would most probably do the job quiet well. the way i see it is the simpler the setup the better(less wires).

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by milford302009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
basically my conclusion is that if your using a computer(headphone jack/ line out will have noise) or a small mp3 player, the dac is handy in cutting out the noise and do a great job in converting the signal, but if you have a decent output from a desktop CD player, i fail to see the point, since the converter inside the player would most probably do the job quiet well. the way i see it is the simpler the setup the better(less wires).

If he is going to use PC, then D10 would definitely help because D10 DAC part would most likely be better than PC's onboard sound or sound card. However, if you have a desktop CD player, like you said, he might not need D10 DAC. But it is also possible that D10's DAC is better than CD player's DAC.

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #13 of 20
I currently don't have a desktop cd player. I'll be using this setup out of a PC (later possibly from my old yamaha rx-v420 receiver and turntable). I think I understand where you're coming from though Milford. Thanks.

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #14 of 20
if you are just looking for output to the Little dot, a balanced professional outboard soundcard may be better simply for price/performance/features. At least as an output, anything with balanced out like an edirol fA66 or terratec 8 are great for a variety of reasons, plus they have real line outs which run balanced signals if you hook them up via TRS or XLR.

EDIT

I see you already have the iBasso - in which case, I would use that 10x over the output of a computer. Enjoy!

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you are just looking for output to the Little dot, a balanced professional outboard soundcard may be better simply for price/performance/features. At least as an output, anything with balanced out like an edirol fA66 or terratec 8 are great for a variety of reasons, plus they have real line outs which run balanced signals if you hook them up via TRS or XLR.

EDIT

I see you already have the iBasso - in which case, I would use that 10x over the output of a computer. Enjoy!

biggrin.gif
thank you for the advice though. hopefully it'll come in handy for someone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back