Ibasso D10 Cobra price too good to be true?
Oct 28, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #16 of 21
Well that's what I'm here for and thanks for your help. So all these iPod docks are are still recieving an Analogue signal. This has confused me a little bit as the Head unit in my car proclaims to send a fully digital signal. Perhaps this is my lack of understanding of S/PDIF.

Sorry to go on but I actually prefer learning about the theory more than the products themselves lol. Looks like I have a lot of Reading to do.
Can somebody confirm that the signal at the bottom of the iPod is preamp and the top post amp. If so this is what I would call low level or line level. I don't see why that would change, I jst don't want to confuse people. I ask because my boss does all kinds of Gig rigs and he doesn't know the words for these in his gam.

Also does anybody have a sugestion of the sort of amp I should be looking at. Knowing a bit more about my intentions.

Oct 29, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #20 of 21
well thats not entirely true, but I didnt mention this before as we start wandering into deeper waters,

there is 2 (portable) devices that will take digital out from the ipod/iphone one I cant remember the name of currently and the other is the cypherlabs algorythm solo, which is similar to the D10 in functionality, in that it has a reclocking asyncronous dac and a headphone amp, but it also contains the apple authentication hardware as matt macbeth used to do work for apple and has the rights to this function, so it will accept a digital input from the ipod. it also has digital passthrough on spdif. the catch is its not available yet. there are various home and car docks that can do this and sounds like your car is one of them, is it pioneer? but regardless this will not help you with your portable rig.

it is also not USB, the dock has an authentication chip that negotiates with the ipod for it to relinquish the copy protection and output digital audio via i2s over the dock connector at the bottom of the ipod. 

otherwise, yes any signal you get from the dock will be analogue and the dac in the D10 of no use, only the amp section would be utilized, so unless you also plan to use it with a laptop or something, you would get more amp for your money buying an amp only portable

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #21 of 21
Yes my Head Unit is pioneer. I have been looking and i cant seem to find where it says it does take a digital signal. They arent just going to have this feature on one unit and seeing as i have the 2nd best unit pioneer make im sure it does.

I have been looking at the Amp only units and my quest hasnt got any easier TBH. I think i may just get the Ibasso D10. I listen to a lot of music at my desk at work so I can plug it into the computer for the Majority of the time but still have the option of just using the portable amp when im down stairs doing photography or out and about in every day life.

Are there any similar alternatives to the Ibasso that really compare. I know that the Mier seems to be a nice warm sound but no bass boost feature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back