iBasso D-Zero
Mar 8, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #166 of 240
I am noticing noise too. Using UE TF10's, just received them, and my newly received Ety HF3's too.  Whether it is connected to  a source or not, there is a small amount of infrequent noise; but It gets really bad when I connect it to my Samsung Nexus. I am looking for a well shielded portable amp for my phone now, as I would like to use my phone as my source to cut down on stuff to carry.
Currently I'm waiting for my L9 LOD to connect to my Gen 1 65Gb iPad, Gen 2 32Gb Touch and Gen 3 8Gb Nano. When connected to my nano with my DIY Canare/Swithcraft IC cable it sounds great. Waiting for my Monster USB cable for DAC use.

Right now I'm trying to find some really good quality music to see how it all comes together. A lot of my music is older and was not recorded with the greatest care.

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #167 of 240
anyone can compare the d-zero and leckerton uha4?

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #168 of 240
So guys, tell me... is there any point to having the "charge" switch turned off?  I can't see it.

If you're using it as a headphone amp from a portable source, it does nothing.
If you're using it as a USB DAC/Amp, it charges/powers the D-Zero while it works.
If you're not usign it and it's plugged into a USB, it charges.
If you're not using it, it does nothing.

So why would you ever turn it off? =S

May 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #169 of 240
Is the Ad8656 on the iBasso D-zero supposed to be better than the stock OPAMP on iBasso D-12?

I have both and I slightly prefer the sound from the D-Zero when connected to my modded Fostex T50RP.
Anyhow, which stock OPAMP the D12 uses?

Jun 24, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #170 of 240
I know this is irrelevant in relation to the review but I just want to know if the aux output section of the d-zero would work as a dac together with say, creative t40 series ii or audio engine a2?

Wondering if d-zero can function as a dac for the laptop speakers by using the aux/o and 3.5mm cables.

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #171 of 240
Quote:
I know this is irrelevant in relation to the review but I just want to know if the aux output section of the d-zero would work as a dac together with say, creative t40 series ii or audio engine a2?

Wondering if d-zero can function as a dac for the laptop speakers by using the aux/o and 3.5mm cables.

Yes, the iBasso D-zero can very well be used as a standalone DAC for your laptop. You can connect external speakers to the line out of the D zero. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #172 of 240
hook to my pc and listening thru a dunu trident and im not overly wow by it

listening more to indie pop im thinking getting the superlux hd668b, how does this combo will work for my music taste?

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #173 of 240
Quote:
So guys, tell me... is there any point to having the "charge" switch turned off?  I can't see it.

If you're using it as a headphone amp from a portable source, it does nothing.
If you're using it as a USB DAC/Amp, it charges/powers the D-Zero while it works.
If you're not usign it and it's plugged into a USB, it charges.
If you're not using it, it does nothing.

So why would you ever turn it off? =S

If you are using a laptop off the battery you may want to stop it charging...

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #174 of 240
Quote:
Yes, the iBasso D-zero can very well be used as a standalone DAC for your laptop. You can connect external speakers to the line out of the D zero. 

Well technically it is not a "stand alone DAC" as its built-in amp stage and volume control are always in the signal path
and thus there's no way to defeat them. A true stand-alone DAC would not have a built-in volume control so what you're
in essence doing is using 2 amplification stages, and quite possibly, 2 volume controls when used as suggested above.

I am an owner and absolutely LOVE IT by the way. But a stand-alone DAC it is not. Just wanted to clarify the facts.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #176 of 240
Quote:

Well technically it is not a "stand alone DAC" as its built-in amp stage and volume control are always in the signal path
and thus there's no way to defeat them. A true stand-alone DAC would not have a built-in volume control so what you're
in essence doing is using 2 amplification stages, and quite possibly, 2 volume controls when used as suggested above.

I am an owner and absolutely LOVE IT by the way. But a stand-alone DAC it is not. Just wanted to clarify the facts.

Quote:
I just tried the D-Zero and when using the line out the volume cannot be changed with the volume pot. I do not believe the amp section is in use when using the D-Zero via the aux out.

Exactly as my observation as well.
The line out of the D-Zero is not controlled by the volume control, when used as a DAC hence I believe the amp section is bypassed when it is used as a DAC and taking the line out from the Aux out.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #178 of 240
Quote:
Does anyone know how the d-zero pairs up with iPhone 4s and westone 4? Thanks

I am using the D-Zero with an iPhone 4 (using FLAC Player with only FLAC music - no iTunes) connected via an Audiominor braided pure copper LOD.

I use a variety of $75 - $150 IEMs with this setup (nothing as nice as your Westone 4s).  I have achieved amazing results with my modest investments.  With all of my IEMs, the D-Zero sounds very, very clean.  It has more than ample power for both dynamic and armature-based in-ears.  

There seems to be a lot of disagreement on the tonality of the D-Zero.  The overall balance of sound is lean.  I have read that most people find the D-Zero to be a bit bass shy.  I disagree.  To me, other amps, such as my old Fiio E11 and JDS, have a darker sound, a thickness that seems to loose control at times.  With IEMs, the D-Zero sounds very balanced to me, and unlike those darker amps, it never looses control or speed.  Bass extends as deep as any.  This amp is not for bassheads.  Unlike the other amps I have owned/own, it is the rest of the frequency spectrum of the D-Zero is simply better.  The midrange and treble is simply awesome when I use my Grado full-size headphones...but this amp really excels with IEMs.

Personally, I would love to hear the D-Zero with Westone 4s. Or JH 5Pros, or Shure SE425s.  Nice company for a $110 DAC/amp that sound like it should be three times the price.

Jamey
Denton, Texas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back