IBasso Audio IT03
Oct 5, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #601 of 3,344
Not surprising though. While the memory wires can be removed, I can easily see that the huge concha shaped mould be a problem for some.

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #602 of 3,344
  So I might be the first one here that can't stand the fit of IT03. This custom-like shape makes me feel something between discomfort and pain. Also memory wires does not work properly for me, they make earphones move inside my concha while turning head and opening my mouth. I tried a bunch of eartips and I'm having a good seal.  Altough i really like how they sound, I'm going to let them go. Too bad.

With such a heavily contoured housing shape, fit is definitely going to be a polarising topic for the IT03. I guess if the protrusion near the concha area of the shell does not fit reasonably well with one's ears, fit is bound to be less than ideal. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #604 of 3,344
I wouldn't ever call the IT03 a basshead iem. IT03 isn't dark at all. Has a mild lift in upper mids/lower treble which creates an airy atmosphere, and a mild lift in sub bass which creates some rumble, overall very nicely balanced. A straight flat frequency response usually sounds boring, so we gotta decide where we would like some slight lifts in FR to create an enjoyable and involving sound. What the IT03 gets very right which many iems fail is we only need moderate lifts in key areas, not huge spikes and valleys. So many iems completely annihilate the 6-8khz area in fear of sounding bright or sibilant, or they just have bad crossovers, and they just end up sounding dark with missing detail. Only thing you gotta decide is where you would like the lifts in FR. For example some might prefer a lift in midbass rather than sub bass, or a lift in lower mids rather than upper mids. Just rest assured the IT03 retains balance.

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #605 of 3,344
  I wouldn't ever call the IT03 a basshead iem. IT03 isn't dark at all.

An IEM doesn't have to be basshead, because it has elevated bass as the house sound. It also depends how well the bass reacts to EQing and amping - if you can push it quite hard without distortion, than it can quite easy become a basshead IEM or headphone in general. For example LCD-2F have also a flat response in the bass, but they can be pushed hard, but still remain clear mids and highs.

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #607 of 3,344
  So I might be the first one here that can't stand the fit of IT03. This custom-like shape makes me feel something between discomfort and pain. Also memory wires does not work properly for me, they make earphones move inside my concha while turning head and opening my mouth. I tried a bunch of eartips and I'm having a good seal.  Altough i really like how they sound, I'm going to let them go. Too bad.

​Bad luck :frowning2:

I receive mine in 1 or 2 weeks, I hope to not have that kind of problems

With my last iem (Westone W40) I had a bad fit, which gave me poor seal and isolation, as well a low comfort

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #610 of 3,344
I do. Got if from the Penon Audio. Paid for express shipping and they sent via DHL. IEM arrived in 3 days after ordering. Paid $23 upon arrival for brokerage duty tax etc.

how do u like it
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #611 of 3,344
Just got mine (thanks ustinj!). Initial impressions are positive. Fit is great, and they are pretty well-balanced. Out of the box, the bass has great presence (maybe a touch assertive on some tracks, but I'm going to let it burn in more before I come to any conclusions there) and texture, but doesn't muddy things up much. I am impressed for the price point - to my ear, they are pretty close to IEMs twice their price (CA Nova and EarSonics Velvet). I'll offer more thoughts after they've burned in for a few days and I've compared them back to back with the Novas. Can only keep one, and I think it's going to be a tough choice.

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #613 of 3,344
I am very curious about your back to back with the Nova. I am also thinking to trade my Nova with the Ibasso. I am looking for some more BassImpact. The Nova is great but to sharp for my ears sometime's. Looking for a warmer sound i think....:hushed:

Just got mine (thanks ustinj!). Initial impressions are very positive. Fit is great, and they are really well-balanced. Out of the box, the bass has great presence (maybe a touch assertive on some tracks, but I'm going to let it burn in more before I come to any conclusions there) and texture, but doesn't muddy things up. Super impressed for the price point - to my ear, they definitely go toe to toe with IEMs twice their price (CA Nova and EarSonics Velvet). I'll offer more thoughts after they've burned in for a few days and I've compared them back to back with the Novas. Can only keep one, and I think it's going to be a tough choice.

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #614 of 3,344
How does the IT03 compare with other hybrid IEMs like the Sony XB-A3? And with woodies like the JVC FX 850 in bass quality and quantity? Thanks

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #615 of 3,344
I am very curious about your back to back with the Nova. I am also thinking to trade my Nova with the Ibasso. I am looking for some more BassImpact. The Nova is great but to sharp for my ears sometime's. Looking for a warmer sound i think....:hushed:

It's going to be a really tough call. My initial thoughts are that the mids on the Nova are really excellent. A/Bing on stuff that Nova does well, like Sufjan Stevens' "Should Have Known Better" or Bjork's "lionsong," Nova has a bit more detail and separation, and the strings just sound right. Guitar tone is more pleasing on the Nova in, for example, Built to Spill's "Time Trap," with the IT03 sounding slightly thinner there. Vocals are also a little more forward on the Nova than the IT03. The IT03 isn't doing anything wrong at all, but it just wows me slightly less - the novas feel more organic while also having more detail. I also prefer the aesthetics and accessories of the Nova.

However, the IT03 is pretty close, and I think it sounds good on a wider range of music (better for hip-hop and IDM). The bass sounds like a bass, rather than just another guitar, as it sometimes does on the Nova (I guess this is partly a dynamic vs BA driver thing). If you're looking for increased bass impact over the Nova and a less fatiguing sound, the IT03 will give it to you. It also seems to be less picky about sources, and the fit is custom-like (although the fit of the Novas is also good for me, YMMV). Right now, I think if money were no object, and I were listening at home in a quiet space on my computer (on which the Nova's bass is improved over my phone), I'd probably keep the Nova since it seems to be a technically superior IEM. But I still need to burn in the IT03, and get used to its sound. I also suspect that the IT03 will be better for commuting, and it's significantly less expensive. I'll let you know where I end up on it in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back