I would like to end my journey with the Audio Technica W5000
Jun 26, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #16 of 30

Quote:
Quote:

Well, the Stax SRM-717 i've owned had an Interchanging PSU, via jumpers, and i was curious about exactly this issue, So i changed the voltage to 100V and hooked it to my Ariake-UT110 that i use with the HA5000. It tuned  out that i've heard no difference whatsoever from not having it inline... Not that it could be drawn directly to the HA5000 performance, and it's no DBT, but there you have it. Anyway the HA5000 is a marvelous amp and was clearly superior to the SPL Auditor when i A/Bed with the W5000, which is my second favorite amp that i had with them.

Most of that went over my head, aside from the interchanging PSU part.

Jun 26, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #17 of 30

Quote:
Yeah I've seen that. The HA5000 was literally made to be paired with the W5000's which is why I would love to get my hands on one, I just can't drop 1000 dollars+ on a amp as a graduate student.  I can't imagine that this one with the iPod dock sounds much different than my E9/E7…  Does this have a on board DAC or is it just using the iPod's? The E9 is great because you can use the E7 through it as the DAC and amp through the E9, I absolutely love it.

Well, If I have to spend 1K for HP amp, I will consider the Cary SLI80 used. I have owned the SLi80 and I love it but have it sold for some other projects. Now, its price is way up the$3.5K new but for the used one 9/10  condition, it can be had for $1.5K.

I never tried its HP amp section before ...that's another big issue if the SLI80 is not mated well with the W5000.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #18 of 30
Yeah tube amps are hit and miss with the W5000 from what I hear.  I wouldn't know though.

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #19 of 30
W5000's fit for me is fine, but after a few hours my ears die from pain :\
The background music gets covered up by singing too, but the rest of this can is so amazing I'm not going to complain.

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #20 of 30
Your ears physically hurt? I wear them for 5+ hours at a time and they feel wonderful. They're one of the most comfortable pairs I've ever worn. That is after I bent the hell out of the top to get a decent clamp.

Do you mean they feel fatigued and tired? Like it feels like you've been listening too loud even though you havent? The F5005 mod helps a ton with that.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #21 of 30
W5000 is sub-par in fitting compared to other full-sized ATs, they are quite a bit more heavy than the ADs and AXs series. With its little clamp, I found myself adjusting it far too often or the pads will be on top of my ears.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #22 of 30

Quote:
W5000 is sub-par compared to other full-sized ATs, they are quite a bit more heavy than the ADs and AXs series. With its little clamp, I found myself adjusting it far too often or the pads will be on top of my ears.

Maybe or maybe not. That's not the reason I bought the W5000. I look at the HPs for my collection not because of review or rating. SQ & BQ. The W5000 is indeed the top tier of the W series and it is a 10th year anniversary edition plus its SQ & BQ are enough reasons to justify my purchase.

The ATH W1000x is more popular and widely accepted for being  fun HPs but its shinny highly gloss lacquer enhancing is not really my cup of tea.

I am very proud to be the owner of the W5000 and I am very happy to have them as part of my collection.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #23 of 30

What i meant is basically i assume you're no worse with the voltage adapter then without it since i tried the SRM717 with 100V (native voltage is 230V) and heard no difference or it's too minor that i haven't noticed any after a couple of minutes swap. :)
Quote:
Most of that went over my head, aside from the interchanging PSU part.

Btw, I too had the F5005 but i recently removed it and i can conclude that while worthwhile for taming the upper mids bestowing more body to the bass it also takes some detail and refinement that is the main quality of these phones. It's became very obvious after moving to the HA5000, but i loved them with it on before then. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #24 of 30

Quote:

What i meant is basically i assume you're no worse with the voltage adapter then without it since i tried the SRM717 with 100V (native voltage is 230V) and heard no difference or it's too minor that i haven't noticed any after a couple of minutes swap. :)

Btw, I too had the F5005 but i recently removed it and i can conclude that while worthwhile for taming the upper mids bestowing more body to the bass it also takes some detail and refinement that is the main quality of these phones. It's became very obvious after moving to the HA5000, but i loved them with it on before then. 

So… You're saying it would just work here in the US without a adapter?

I'm very pleased with the F5005  mod, whereas my ears just felt so tired and soar after long listening sessions. The upper mids can be harsh. I plan on removing the modification once I get my hands on the HA5000.

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #25 of 30
I like them with WA2 and warm 6AS7 clear top+ Valvo d-getter e88CC and RFT EZ80. Personally I've already expressed my findings here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/494487/another-wa2-tube-roling-thread-my-findings-after-couple-months

Oh and I like WA2 combo better than HA5000, at least most of the time. The key to the sublime sound of W5000 is the source - analog like and a bit warm ,amplification and fit - I've inserted a bit of climbing rope inside - the same as rubber tube mod but slightly different properties - it will behave similar to integral part of the pads but create kind of resonating cavity so my ears are going inside pads not on top of them. this will help also with any fit issues as there is better fit and more presure applied by the pads also your ears are in slightly different position and distance from drivers than normally. To me this mod, totally reversible BTW, adds a bit of body and intensity to the sound. Rope color is a bit extreme but I'm looking for black of the same size  - diameter is important as you do not want to create too much space inside the pads. This mod is nothing new and credit goes to whoever invented it. I just modified this with rope as rubber tube was not working very well for me for some reason.
See pic , hope this will help somebody.

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #27 of 30
I'm going to try the rope ASAP. I often find myself pulling at the pads so they're around my ears instead of on top of them.

I'm new to tube amps and have really no experience with them so most of what you said went over my head. Some point when I have more money perhaps, but I've got my sights set on the HA5000. When I can get it for a deal, and afford it I'll take the dive. No need to mess with tubes yet.

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #28 of 30

Quote:
I'm going to try the rope ASAP. I often find myself pulling at the pads so they're around my ears instead of on top of them.

I'm new to tube amps and have really no experience with them so most of what you said went over my head. Some point when I have more money perhaps, but I've got my sights set on the HA5000. When I can get it for a deal, and afford it I'll take the dive. No need to mess with tubes yet.

Please let me know any good deal on the new in box HA5000 once you find it. Thank you.

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #29 of 30
Heh, I'm going to look used before I even consider a new in box HA-5000. It's so much money for me, and I'm not busting out a student load on it. I'm going to just lurk on head-fi and hopefully snag one on the cheaper end.

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #30 of 30

Quote:
Heh, I'm going to look used before I even consider a new in box HA-5000. It's so much money for me, and I'm not busting out a student load on it. I'm going to just lurk on head-fi and hopefully snag one on the cheaper end.

You are doing well, brother. When I was in college, I had a Pioneer stereo receiver with pine wood panels and a dual cassette deck also with a wooden case made out of pine wood. 
Those were the days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back