I would appreciate some assistance in choosing some 'enclosed' circumaural headphones for iPhone and Macbook Pro... thanks
Oct 28, 2010 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

drummerjon

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I would like to get some new headphones. I am a software developer and when I am at work, I listen to music (160 kbit OGG) using my iPhone 3GS. When I am at home, I listen to music (320 kbit OGG) using the built-in soundcard and 3.5mm output on my Macbook Pro. I would like to use the same headphones at work and at home, and because of this, I think I require some 'enclosed' circumaural headphones (that do not leak sound) so I do not disturb anyone when I am at work.

I listen to a lot of indie, instrumental (orchestral, solo piano), jazz and a bit of light rock, and when at home, I also do a bit of gaming and watch films on my computer. WIth that said, listening to music is what I will be doing most and so want to tailor the headphone choice for that.

I live in the UK and my budget is £50 - £150 ($75 - $230), depending on what you recommend. I don't need the headphones to be fully portable (to take on the bus, train, etc) and am happy to buy a portable amp if the headphones will require one.

I've been looking at a few headphones like the AKG K 240 MK II, Sennheiser HD 448 and Audio Technica ATH-M50. I can currently get a pair of HD 448's for $95, which sounds like a good deal.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Jon

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 4
Towards the upper end, the M50 gets the most credit around here, but I am yet to have hear it.

You may get some people that say Grado SR60/80, but we get ripped off in the UK, so you might do better importing.

EDIT:

Few more things to point out:

If you live near London, and can wait until november, there will be an opportunity to try out a few headphones in a meetup.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/519526/30th-november-evening-mini-meet-in-bank-london

I also re-read your post and removed my suggestion of the DR150, I stand by them being great price/performance at the lower end of your budget, but they are open and do leak sound.

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 4
I am happy to spend more money if it will make a difference. Also, I've read some good reviews of the FiiO E7. Do you think it would be worth getting one?

Also, Amazon UK is currently selling the HD 448's for £60 instead of RRP of £90.

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 4
I think I have decided to get a pair of Sennheiser HD 448's and am looking at getting an FiiO E7 and FiiO L1 LOD as well. There is a number of threads on Head-Fi about the Sennheiser 448s and they seem to get good reviews, as does the FiiO E7. Part of getting an E7 is so I can run it as a DAC on my Macbook Pro and use it to boost the signal from my iPhone to my headphones and to my car FM transmitter.

Does this sound like a sensible choice of equipment to buy?

Thank you,
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back