I wish someone would come up with third-party K240 pads!
Feb 2, 2011 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ikarios

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been getting into vintage AKGs lately and they just sound so awesome for their age and current price. However, they all have one major caveat - the comfort. As it stands, every one of the pleather pads I've gotten with the vintage K240s (so far, I've gotten four K240 variants and a K340) has been flat, non-sealing, and just plain uncomfortable. If someone like J$ came up with thicker, DEEPER (and this is big), comfortable (pleather or leather, whatever) K240 pads, I would SO sold. Anyone else feel this way?

As a side note, are the K271 velours people use on K340s deep? When I take off the screen my ear touches the outside plate of the electret driver and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not (my ear definitely doesn't think so).

I've been using Denon D2000 pads on some of the K240s, and they're really nice, but they're still not designed for the system - they're a little small and I'm afraid I'm going to rip the edge. They also don't fit on the K340, which is a shame.

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 7
They might just be a bad fit for you... My k240 pads are amazing, it doesn't even feel like I'm wearing them, and I've worn them for hours at a time.

Have you tried stuffing cotton between the rim and the flat part on the inside, to make them deeper? I've never heard of this being done on AKG's before but it might work.

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
They might just be a bad fit for you... My k240 pads are amazing, it doesn't even feel like I'm wearing them, and I've worn them for hours at a time.

Have you tried stuffing cotton between the rim and the flat part on the inside, to make them deeper? I've never heard of this being done on AKG's before but it might work.

I've done it. It reduces bass though, but adds soundstage. And it's probably the fact that the pads are old and flat that's causing the lack of comfort. Have you tried new pads? Velour pads are a bit less deep IIRC.

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:

Probably. How do you normally wear the K240s? I found that depending on where you place them on your head you can drastically change the signature of the sound. For exampel when I place the K340s on my head normally, it's a little bass light and kind of airy. If I place them more forward, creating the seal with the back of my ears on the back of the pads, it gets much bassier, with much more "closed" character. The same thing happens with my MP Sextetts, just to a lesser degree.

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 7
I tried putting foam rings under the pads up against the plastic grill, and the bass got boomy, and the mids became recessed.  Didn't like the effect at all. 

You should try brand new pads.  Old ones may not appear to be that worn until you compare with brand new pads.  Some of the old ones I've had can be squished up to double the amount that new pads can be, in between a thumb and index finger, yet the old pads looked fine to the eye.

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Feb 3, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Probably. How do you normally wear the K240s? I found that depending on where you place them on your head you can drastically change the signature of the sound. For exampel when I place the K340s on my head normally, it's a little bass light and kind of airy. If I place them more forward, creating the seal with the back of my ears on the back of the pads, it gets much bassier, with much more "closed" character. The same thing happens with my MP Sextetts, just to a lesser degree.

When I put them on, they seem to settle so that my ears are between the middle and front. If I put my ears towards the front, the sound gets really thin, and if I put them towards the back the bass gets boomy and clarity goes down. It could be my imagination but I think that there's a raised spot right where I said it settles; it feels like my ear goes right over it, and the headphones feel really weird on my head any other way. BTW I think I have a small head, I don't have to pull them down or use adjustment and if I shake my head they will start to come off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back