I was about to upgrade to HD600, but now the HE-400 is $299. What do I do?
Jun 2, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #46 of 56
Yeah, that rotten HD600 is bad for the economy and bad for HAS (Headphone Acquisition Syndrome). In addition to my HD600, I also have an HE-500. I didn't consider the HE-400 since it has IMO an wonky FR.

Stan, IMO you had one lassi too many when you heard the 400:smiley::grin:. Seriously, I much prefer the HE 4.

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #47 of 56
StanD:

HAS!!   I didn't know the disease was so easy to catch.  I'm pulling up couch cushions trying to collect enough loose change for an LCD3 right now.

To answer your earlier question, I decided on the 600 ohm DT880.  I heard it was brighter for these old ears.  I'm really happy with it, but the bass below 50 hz needs help.  However, 600ohm was a bad idea.  Any amp choices I make to optimize it leaves me in the cold for future headphones.

Right now I have:

HE-300: The low frequencies are fun, but the accuracy doesn't nearly live up to the dt880's.  So I don't listen to them much anymore.  What used to be great is not good enough.
DT880: Sounds so crisp and nice.  Yet, it has me wanting more (Beyerdynamic seems to carry the HAS virus).

EF3 amp: I upgraded all the caps to SilmicII and it kicks butt.
Little Dot Mk 3: uses the same EF95 tubes as the ef3.  Interestingly the little dot and EF3 sound a lot alike with the cap upgrade.  Yet the EF3 has a bit better definition.

Schitt Modi: I can't help but wonder if this is going to be the next most limiting factor in the stack.

I'm still working slowly on my Minimax amp.  Having fun reviewing all the parts and design.  Yet, can't wait to hear it.

Steve

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #48 of 56
You seem to like excitement and good quality bass.. How about HE-560?
The HE-4 is the dt880 version of a planar on steroids according to many by the way.

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #49 of 56
The HE-560 was near the top of my covet list.  Fortunately, they disappeared from the HifiMan and head-direct websites.  

Maybe it's sold out?  Recalled?  Dunno, but they are not there.

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #51 of 56
The HE-560 was near the top of my covet list.  Fortunately, they disappeared from the HifiMan and head-direct websites.  

Maybe it's sold out?  Recalled?  Dunno, but they are not there.

Delays, my friend. Hifiman is notorious for just that... And revisions.
Should be out before the end of June.
I'll go ahead and warn you about Audeze comfort. Many find them pretty uncomfortable, some even unbearable. Just saying, you should audition prior to purchase.

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #52 of 56
Delays, my friend. Hifiman is notorious for just that... And revisions.
Should be out before the end of June.
I'll go ahead and warn you about Audeze comfort. Many find them pretty uncomfortable, some even unbearable. Just saying, you should audition prior to purchase.

I need to find a meet in the SF Bay Area.  You are right, I should sample before purchase.  The HE-300's are barely comfortable enough.  So, I take your warning seriously!

I like the headband idea on the 560's, but should try those before purchase too.  Also, I should compare them with the HE-4.  Especially, if those are DT880's with bass.

In the meantime, I think I'll re-cable the DT880's.  Just to say I did.  
atsmile.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #53 of 56
Stan, IMO you had one lassi too many when you heard the 400:smiley::grin:. Seriously, I much prefer the HE 4.

Yes those Vodka Lassis can affect one's hearing, but not mine. 
blink.gif

So I'll assume that you prefer the HE-4 over the HE-400. I listened to the 400 and didn't care for its treble and the bass didn't sound as tight as the HE-500. Since I didn't A/B them on the spot I can only point out what was most obvious, the treble. Unless there are significant differences, IMO, auditory memory is not the best for making absolute statements. The treble, to me, was obvious.
The HE-4 definitely needs more power. How's the treble compared to the HE-400?
Just my .02

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #54 of 56
HE-400 is reported to have tighter and cleaner bass than HE-500, though slightly less extended. Measurements back that up. It definitely loses out in mid-range and treble. Some aggressive mods and EQ and you have a very competent can for under 400$, though.

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #55 of 56
HE-400 is reported to have tighter and cleaner bass than HE-500, though slightly less extended. Measurements back that up. It definitely loses out in mid-range and treble. Some aggressive mods and EQ and you have a very competent can for under 400$, though.

^This. I also use the Emotiva mini-X to drive the HE-4. Yes, the 500 is a more musical can overall (I also had the jergpads by modulor) but I could never get comfortable with it on my head. The treble on the 4 is much more controlled than the 400 (IMO). The latter could be sibilant at times. 

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #56 of 56

^This. I also use the Emotiva mini-X to drive the HE-4. Yes, the 500 is a more musical can overall (I also had the jergpads by modulor) but I could never get comfortable with it on my head. The treble on the 4 is much more controlled than the 400 (IMO). The latter could be sibilant at times. 

Yeah, I use the emotiva for HE-5LE and 500. Guess I'd recommend for a budget solution or all-in-one headphone/speakers solution, but it lacks volume control and has a very slight hiss with HE-500, just about perceivable on good days in a silent room with HE-5LE.
It does sound much better than my tube hybrid in many ways, though not as smooth and refined to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back