I was about to upgrade to HD600, but now the HE-400 is $299. What do I do?
Jun 1, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #31 of 56
No, jumped straight from the Q's to the 650's and haven't looked back. I love their sound even using my O2.

When you get chance try th HD600's. They have a touch more treble than the HD650's and might be more helpful for your purposes. The treble is not grating, it's just right.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #32 of 56
I did read that when researching but I was worried they'd still be towards the Q701 end of the spectrum. I actually like every single aspect of the 650 signature - it fits my mind like a glove. With every other headphone I've owned I've listened to the sound. With the 650 I listen to the music.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #33 of 56
I did read that when researching but I was worried they'd still be towards the Q701 end of the spectrum. I actually like every single aspect of the 650 signature - it fits my mind like a glove. With every other headphone I've owned I've listened to the sound. With the 650 I listen to the music.

It won't hurt to try. The HD600's are neutral, not overly bright. It's worth a try, trust me.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #34 of 56
It won't hurt to try. The HD600's are neutral, not overly bright. It's worth a try, trust me.

I take your point Stan but I'm finished buying headphones for the foreseeable future. I really like the warmth of the 650's which is what you appear to be steering me away from. I'm listening to Wish You Were Here right now and I've never heard it so good. Well maybe back in the day, when I was on the same stuff they were.

:):):):)

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #35 of 56
I take your point Stan but I'm finished buying headphones for the foreseeable future. I really like the warmth of the 650's which is what you appear to be steering me away from. I'm listening to Wish You Were Here right now and I've never heard it so good. Well maybe back in the day, when I was on the same stuff they were.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I take it that your wallet is still recovering from HAS.
HAS = Headphone Acquisition Syndrome.

Jun 1, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #36 of 56
I take it that your wallet is still recovering from HAS.
HAS = Headphone Acquisition Syndrome.

I don't think it will ever recover. I spent a lot of money this year trying all sorts of combinations but what I have now has sated my appetite. I still have the Crack to buy but I'm unconvinced it'll sound better than my O2. It will sound different though and I suspect it may be even more to my liking. Plus, valves look cool.

Jun 1, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #37 of 56
I don't think it will ever recover. I spent a lot of money this year trying all sorts of combinations but what I have now has sated my appetite. I still have the Crack to buy but I'm unconvinced it'll sound better than my O2. It will sound different though and I suspect it may be even more to my liking. Plus, valves look cool.

Clearly you are on the road to perdition. Enjoy the ride.

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #38 of 56
I have a hard time imagining it truly is end game for you, some time the pm-1/2 or LCD-2 will call your name or something like that :p
Have you considered the me schiit Valhalla 2? It's pretty sweet, has stupendous amount of headroom for your 650

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #39 of 56
At the end of the day, it also depends on your musical preferences. I listen exclusively to classical and jazz, and have both the HE-500s and the HD600s. Whilst the HE-500s sound fantastic on some recordings, I definitely use the HD600s more. They seem to work extremely well whatever you throw at them and scale well with improvements in source and amplification. So far, I have found the Audio-gd SA31 to be the best match, but OTL tube amps also work extremely well (if you are in the US, the Bottlehead is the obvious choice).

The HE-400 is more efficient than the 500, but will still sound a little "wooly" on the end of most OTLs (some of the bigger Darkvoice amps notwithstanding).

The HD600 is a safe choice, and something of a "gold standard". Think of it as the VW Golf of headphones...

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #40 of 56
I drive a modded Golf. It's a torque monster like my 650's.

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #41 of 56
I have a hard time imagining it truly is end game for you, some time the pm-1/2 or LCD-2 will call your name or something like that :p
Have you considered the me schiit Valhalla 2? It's pretty sweet, has stupendous amount of headroom for your 650

David:

Have you heard the 650 with both the Crack and the Valhalla? My Crack will come in this week and I was trying out the 650 with the Zana Deux. Very nice SQ. But I have heard lots of good things about the Valhalla-650 pairing.
Thanks

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #42 of 56
I'd like to hear a direct comparison too. Schiit makes for an easier purchase.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #43 of 56

David:

Have you heard the 650 with both the Crack and the Valhalla? My Crack will come in this week and I was trying out the 650 with the Zana Deux. Very nice SQ. But I have heard lots of good things about the Valhalla-650 pairing.
Thanks

Haven't heard any of the amps, just throwing it out there. I like what schiit has done to their lyr 2 and valhalla 2.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #44 of 56

I have a hard time reading this seriously. 
HD-600 have been pretty much rock solid since they came out. 
The LCD-2 were superceeded by the LCD2mk2 how quickly? How long before that before the LCD3 overthrew them? And then the LCD-X? 
If you make your choices for "endgame" based on what has the highest volatility, yea, the HD600 arent right. If you value stability and consistency the only better headphone is the HD800. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #45 of 56

I have a hard time reading this seriously. 
HD-600 have been pretty much rock solid since they came out. 
The LCD-2 were superceeded by the LCD2mk2 how quickly? How long before that before the LCD3 overthrew them? And then the LCD-X? 
If you make your choices for "endgame" based on what has the highest volatility, yea, the HD600 arent right. If you value stability and consistency the only better headphone is the HD800. 

Yeah, that rotten HD600 is bad for the economy and bad for HAS (Headphone Acquisition Syndrome). In addition to my HD600, I also have an HE-500. I didn't consider the HE-400 since it has IMO an wonky FR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back