I want the sound of Monster's Turbine Pro Copper earphones, but in a open back, headphone... is this possible?
Aug 28, 2010 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FliGuyRyan

Head-Fier
Hello all...

I'm really quite frustrated. I put a lot of research into the Monster Turbine Pro Copper earphones and I am still very impressed and pleased with them. But, sometimes, I just want the ease of popping some over the ear headphones on, but I can't go back to bad sounding cans. I've never had a REALLY good pair of headphones and I saw a review for the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 ($83 on Amazon btw), and have pretty much decided on those - as well as the open back variety (don't recommend closed please).

Well, I get on here, and open up the can of worms. I didn't want to, but I couldn't just buy something without knowing if there is better for the money. I'm willing to spend around the $100 price point (give or take $15 or so - $150 has to be REALLY good to go there). I would like to try the AKG K702, but I read that they need to be driven via amp and I don't want to delve into the amp business.

I just want, simple, balanced, modular headphones - I like treble though more than I do bass, and I want the treble to be accurate.

Another question... is the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 a modular headphone? Can you replace things easily (and upgrade?)?

Thanks in advance... and sorry for the newbie questions.
-Ryan

P.S. Keep in mind that although I don't want to amp now, if I were to go that route in the future, what headphones sound good without amping, but even better with amping? And, what would a inexpensive but effective amp be? This is more of a back-burner question, so don't it take center stage with regards to my OP.

I'm unfamiliar with how this forum responds to new posts, so if you feel inclined, email me at FliGuyRyan@yahoo.com     Thanks!

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 9
So you currently have the Coppers?

I'm not sure, but from my experiences I'd say the closest you can get to the Coppers with strong bass using an open-back designed headphone is with the Beyerdynamic DT990...Don't take my word for it though!

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 9
As for the Monster Turbine Pro Copper, yes, I currently own a pair and love their balanced sound. The "Turbine Pro Gold" are the ones with a lot of bass - the Copper are more balanced with better highs. 

By "modular" I mean the ability to replace cords, etc... very easily. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ryan

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 9
The AD700 is a superb headphone, that's for sure. But, I don't think replacing the cable would be all that easy. Why would you want "modular" any way? Are you thinking of upgrading the cable? Well first, I hope you know, cable upgrades are very controversial here. The first step is to upgrade headphones and gear, and THEN upgrade the cable, if you really feel that will improve it. Some say it doesn't, and you shouldn't waste your money. Others say improvements are slightly audible. I won't know, I have never tried it, and I don't think I never will. With the except of *maybe* a Cardas cable for the HD650.

The stock cable on the AD700 is quite excellent on it's on. In fact, it's the best I've ever seen on a headphone. It is really thick and durable, and has no memory retention whatsoever. It also has great flexibility. I would think if you wanted to *upgrade* the AD700, just go straight for the AD900.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #6 of 9
Katun,

No. I don't want to upgrade the cable. I was thinking more if it became frayed or something for easy replacement that's all. 

What about the M50s... I know one is closed, one is open, but I keep hearing amazing reviews of the M50. It's just that I think I would like an open better because I feel that the closed would sound more like a IEM because of the pressure and that's what I'm trying to alleviate. 

-Ryan

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 9
Noted.

I posted my second paragraph as a suspicion you might not want to upgrade. Rest assured, that cable is the best I've ever seen. It would take quite a bit to ruin that one! (Garden Shears)
wink.gif

What do you mean one is closed, one is open? The M50 is entirely closed. Compared to the AD700, they are two completely different headphones, with two distinct sounds.

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 9
Katun,

The more I read, the more frustrated I become...

I believe my strategy now is to get the AD700. Then, when I come across some more funding in the future, purchase a M50 or A900. I would like to stick with Audio Technica - all I hear is good things about them. As for the open-backed, I will go with the AD700, because I'm not fanatical about bass. But, I do want to experience a closed-back headphone, which leads me to the M50 or A900 which I can't decide. I hear rave reviews about both. 

Anyways... what is your opinion - as an owner - on the AD700? What do you like and what don't you like? What do you listen to musically, and what do you like the best between bass or treble (choosing a side)?

Thanks,
-Ryan

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 9
First, about the M50 vs A900. The A900 is $150 more than the M50. So if budget is an issue, I would go for the M50 in the future. It's not like the A900 sounds that much better anyway.

Okay, now onto my experience with my AD700, which I've had for almost a year now.

I still remember when I first received it, and listened to it the first time. I was a bit frustrated, to say the least. I even created a thread here on Head-Fi, that stated the AD700's don't impress me. In that thread, I told people that I couldn't really tell too much of a difference between them and the PortaPros. This is when I obviously had *untrained ears* and time wasn't factored into the equation yet.

Now, let's skip ahead a year, to the present. As of now, the AD700 are currently my favorite headphones, and I honestly don't know of a headphone that can have a better type of sound signature. That is what led me to wanting the AD900, and I actually tried to order them from Amazon a few days ago, only to be let down as they wouldn't except my gift card. (But that is another story)

They have a really excellent sound, that the more I listen to, the more I appreciate. Just recently, I have been doing extended AB testing against all my other headphones, something which I haven't done in a long time. The results? Well, let's just say the AD700's passed with flying colors. Not only was the detail and instrument separation really quite impressive, but the sense of soundstage really just blows me away. After listening to a couple songs off my AD700, I then switched to the PortaPro, 9850, XB500, and compared them all. None came close. I almost felt *uncomfortable* listening to those headphones, as the soundstage had almost collapsed into my head. I felt claustrophobic. Everything seemed muddied together, and music became more of a chore than a down right pleasure. That is a bit of a bold statement, but I honestly can't listen to my PortaPros anymore. The 9850 is a different story, as those are my portable set. (Soon to be replaced by the Pro Golds though)

Now, onto what I like and dislike. They are very big headphones, don't get me wrong. Very big. Although this isn't a factor for me, as I do my listening with them in my room, it may be for you. Let's see what else. (Come on, think hard!) Hmm, the bass. For me, it's absolutely perfect, but for others, it's bass anemic. I won't count this as a flaw, since I actually prefer this kind of bass, but for a lot of users, it is. The only other flaw I can think of is a slight creak when they move around on your head. You can hear it make a bit of a creaking noise, If you move around, but really, it's nothing to worry about.

That was a quick dislike section. Now a bit more about what I like, beside the sound which has been described above. First, the comfort. Best I have ever come across, bar none. I have worn them for 5 hour stretches, no problem. And that is really surprised for someone like me, who has really sensitive ears for headphones. Even the Sony XB500's plush earpads can't even come close. I actually had the K701 for a week, and so I was able to compare the two. How's the comfort. AD700 won for me, hands down. It is just the absolute perfect headphone in terms of comfort. It's nice that you can also just "stick them on your head" and you don't have to pre-adjust the headband. On to the cord. Perfect. That is all I have to say about that. Very thick, very flexible, very durable. Best cord I've ever seen with headphones.

Oh, and by the way, I listen to 90% soundtracks. Mostly film, but some games. Ranging everything from quiet and haunting orchestra, to bombastic and loud bands. They excel with everything. Even with my vocal music, they give it a very nice sense of space. Almost like the music is "on air" around you. It is probably the only headphone I have, that seems to do everything. (Well, everything in my music collection, that is)

Well, I think that about wraps it up. I don't proof read any of my posts, so I may have some errors or some things I forgot to mention. Just ask if you are curious.

If you have any more questions or need any more advice, I would be glad to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back