I wanna try some electronica.... Suggestions?
Jul 22, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #32 of 76
Depending on how tolerant you are of repetition and oddity I'd stay the hell away from Auctechure to start with. (my own bias obviously, although Amber is an album worth having)

As far as where to start I have no idea, my introduction was via synthpop and The Chemical Brothers... maybe that'd be a decent place to start?

My personal favorite of the moment is Telefon Tel Aviv's Farenheit Fair Enough, whether that's ambient enough for you is subject to your intrepretation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #33 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depending on how tolerant you are of repetition and oddity I'd stay the hell away from Auctechure to start with. (my own bias obviously, although Amber is an album worth having)

True, their latter albums are pretty harsh and austere, but LP5 is superb imo. Haven't got Confield yet and I'd advise anyone to avoid the latest album 'untitled'.

And fraseyboy, Amazon.com is the place for CDs, just check that the seller ships internationally
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #35 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd advise anyone to avoid the latest album 'untitled'.

I used to feel this way as well, but now it my be my favorite by them.

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #36 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got only got one of his albums (Everything Ecstatic) and I'm too enamoured. Its ok but a bit 'all over the place' and not in a good way.

They? Its one guy, Tom Jenkinson.

You are enamoured with Four tet... but you dont' like it? I don't follow...

And I always refer to groups/bands as "they". So if the guy from Squarepusher wanted to be called "He" then he'd use an actual name. Perhaps this is wrong?

Is Nine Inch Nails a "he" or a "they"?

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #38 of 76
glad to see MURCOF mentioned here - also want to add some more minimal stuff, such as POLE, or BASIC CHANNEL. then there's a huge german netlabel scene, MOVE D or DATAMAN for instance, and many people like HAKAN LIDBO... oh, and did anyone mention BRIAN ENO? more mellow...

Jul 22, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean.Perrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I always refer to groups/bands as "they". So if the guy from Squarepusher wanted to be called "He" then he'd use an actual name. Perhaps this is wrong?

Is Nine Inch Nails a "he" or a "they"?

Yeah that's wrong.

NiN is a band with multiple members, so they are "They". Squarepusher is Tom Jenkinson so he is "He", like Bonobo is Simon Green so he is "He", and Amon Tobin is... uhh, Amon Tobin.
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #40 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean.Perrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are enamoured with Four tet... but you dont' like it? I don't follow...

Damn! This is why I always prefer handwriting over typing any day. I was supposed to put ''I'm not too enamoured''
rolleyes.gif
I always proof read my posts when I've finished typing and use the preview everytime before posting. Really sorry guys, my mistake has misguided the op
frown.gif
. To clarify, I think Everything Ecstatic is OK but nothing great.

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #41 of 76
I know I'm not adding much new here, but I guess I'll just be seconding/thirding/fourthing/etc. these albums:

Daft Punk - Homework: One of the best house albums of the 90s.

Justice - Cross: Sorta like Daft Punk, except more raw-ish and experimental. One of the best 2007 albums so far.

Radiohead - Kid A: Okay, there are probably some electronica purists here that are going to complain about me suggesting this, but meh. This is the first really brilliant electronic album I've heard and the album that got me into electronica.

Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children: Yet another essential that pretty much anybody will agree that you need
tongue.gif
Don't really think I have much to explain about this one, just listen to it. (yes I know that was a waste of sentences)

Amon Tobin - Bricolage and Permutation: Not only great electronica, but it got me interested in jazz too!
smily_headphones1.gif

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing.....: The genre warriors can't decide if this is "eletronica" or "hip-hop" or something else, but if the idea of a dark sampled record sounds at all intriguing, this is a must-have.

Edit: And anybody who mentions Aphex Twin, Autechre, The Knife, and Squarepusher... uh, I agree with them
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh and I did get a Brian Eno CD out from the library. It was called Another Day on Earth and it WAS NOT ambient. It was kinda pop... Nothing like what I expected.... Are all Brian Eno's cd's like this?

Eno isn't electronica/ambiend in the way many people think of those terms IMO. However, as I stated in the A-Z topic, "Another Green World" is a MASTERPIECE, and definitely worth checking out.

Jul 23, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #42 of 76
Damn... I don't really like everything ecstatic much at all
frown.gif

I can understand what DJShadow meant by 'all over the place'
wink.gif
. It's not really very melodic and more exciting and BALALLRNTGAEIO$NT^QOIEA$NTRAIERNGAKSLNDLKDNGA if you know what I mean.

Also, the case broke as soon as I got it home so I may be able to get a refund because of that
wink.gif

The next CD I buy will be on Amazon, and will be This Binary Universe. I've wanted it for SO SO SO SO long, but I keep avoiding it for some reason. I think its partly because I hate waiting for packages, and if I buy it from Amazon it will probably take a while. Thank's for the input guys!!! I'll probably buy a CD from one of the other mentioned artists after I've got TBU.

Jul 23, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #44 of 76
Non-melodic music can be an acquired taste. And Everything Ecstatic is VERY melodic when compared with some of the other stuff I listen to, like Clark, Vorpal, the last few tracks off of Squarepusher's "Go Plastic", some Aphex Twin, some Autechre, and most of Venetian Snares.

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Non-melodic music can be an acquired taste. And Everything Ecstatic is VERY melodic when compared with some of the other stuff I listen to, like Clark, Vorpal, the last few tracks off of Squarepusher's "Go Plastic", some Aphex Twin, some Autechre, and most of Venetian Snares.

Yeah... Not sure what I meant there. Listeneing to it now, I can hear melodies. I dunno... Anyway, I bought TBU off Amazon finally, so in about 3 week's I'll have it.

Edit:

Just got round to dl'ing that free album, Apologies by Mosaik and i LOVE it! It's amazing that something so good could be free. It's kinda like TBU, but nowhere near as good. It's still awesome though! This is the first time I've understood what people mean when they say 'instrument' separation! :O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back