I think I've been scammed. What should I do?
Jul 7, 2012 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

evanolynuk

New Head-Fier
The title says it all folks.  I hold no grudge to the FS forums but I bought an icon hdp months ago but all usps ever received was the shipping info; no record of an actual parcel.  I've held out until now but the member has not gotten back to me in any way, shape, or form.  Funny thing is, he's got a trade rating (or whatever it's called) of around +25.  That's why I'm a little confused.  

My apologies for bringing such a disheartening topic to a lounge forum but I didn't know where else to bring it up.  Any suggestions would be nice.  

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 32
Quote:
The title says it all folks.  I hold no grudge to the FS forums but I bought an icon hdp months ago but all usps ever received was the shipping info; no record of an actual parcel.  I've held out until now but the member has not gotten back to me in any way, shape, or form.  Funny thing is, he's got a trade rating (or whatever it's called) of around +25.  That's why I'm a little confused.  

My apologies for bringing such a disheartening topic to a lounge forum but I didn't know where else to bring it up.  Any suggestions would be nice.  

File a dispute with whatever you used to send the payment.
If your Credit card was involved, file a dispute with them.

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:
In that case, is Paypal known to actually be of help?  Not to sound too cynical but I guess I'm asking if there's any shot at getting my money back?

So file a dispute with PayPal, I'm assuming you used a credit card with Paypal.
Contact the credit card company and file a dispute, withhold payment to Paypal.
Paypal may not like it, but it might motivate them to contact seller, to resolve the situation.

With the tracking information, you can show you never received your package.
If the seller is out the money, he is more likely to file a claim with the shipper.

I believe in the past Paypal would try to delay any action for 6 weeks,
past the time limit when you could dispute the payment with the credit card company.
Paypal wants your money, but does not want to get involved in your "problems".

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 32
A couple of years ago a friend of mine had a buyer file a complaint against him with Paypal (he was innocent, it was a misunderstanding and the buyer didn't even try to contact the seller first).  Paypal was pretty tough on the seller - they gave him a certain amount of time to respond, or they were going to take the money away from him.  This was not an ebay purchase - it was a purchase from my friend's web site.

I don't understand @sshats that screw other people - that sucks.

If you don't get satisfaction, make sure you come back and name the offender.

Jul 7, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 32
I believe in the past Paypal would try to delay any action for 6 weeks,
past the time limit when you could dispute the payment with the credit card company.
Paypal wants your money, but does not want to get involved in your "problems".

+1. IMO PayPal will "resolve" the situation in whatever way doesn't have them losing their service fee.

Anyways, I'd still file, leave negative feedback, maybe contact a site admin before posting the guy's personal information (while I get why you'd want to, remember the huge safety risks you're creating for the other person by doing that; unrelated to this dispute).

Sorry to hear about this kind of scam; unfortunately it seems to be more and more common these days. :frowning2:

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:
My Paypal account is funded only through a chequing account.  Where does that leave me exactly?

So contact Paypal and tell them the package never shipped out.
Tell them the seller has stopped replying to you, they will need to know the last time the seller communicated with you.
They might want to know how many times you have tried to contact the shipper
Also I'm sure they will need to have the USPS tracking number.
You will want Paypal's trouble ticket or case number for the dispute, or whatever Paypal calls it.
Do not let Paypal drag this out, like if they say they will get back to you in two weeks or 30 days.
You really want them to have an update in a day or two for you about what is happening, if possible.
It only takes someone at Paypal five minutes to check the USPS website to show the package was never shipped.

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 32
Well, after a few phone calls with paypal and usps (not to mention frequent emails and PM's to the seller) it's been determined that the guy took my money and ran.  Usps never got the amp.  As I was told, I'll name the offender: Chris_Himself

I feel like I'm finger pointing but this is a great forum.  BS like that ruins the fun for everyone.  Now I'm out 350 bucks.  

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 32
Make sure to leave feedback too.  Other members should be aware of what occurred.  

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 32
Yea man i think i just got jacked too on a trade. The guy isnt answering any pm's or phone calls... It sucks. 

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 32
Make sure the mods know, leave feedback, and keep all the info together and post it here or somewhere else.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 32
What amp was it and what classified? What is the tracking number? How was it sent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back