I plan on replacing my Nitrus with an iPod Mini; here's why
Feb 5, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #17 of 100
austonia, you spend the days following the iPod mini release bashing its price, battery life, colors, and such compared to the everything else in the market, but now you're considering buying the iPod mini for its size, features, and sound quality, despite the price, battery life, and color option. Are you buying an armband, too?
eek.gif

gratner, as for making no sense to pick a smaller player in size and capacity over a larger one with a larger capacity, I guess a lot of people aren't using sense when they buy flash players over HD players or iPods over NJBs. Some people want or need small physical size over large capacity, so an iPod mini or a flash player makes sense for them. Isn't it wierd how manufacturers are trying to shrink their HD DAPs?

Feb 6, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #19 of 100
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
I did not like the v.3 iPods due to the touchy new controls, but the new Mini seems to strike a nice balance between mechanical and optical, blending the two.

Just noticed the fine print... er.. they're not "optical" controls... they're the same as your typical laptop touchpad.

White Knight, you just completely ignored the whole reason why austonia posted this thread in the first place.. he didn't want something in the form factor if iHP-120... he already had plenty of players in that form factor..

Feb 6, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #20 of 100
Quote:

Originally posted by Squibbles
This is funny considering you were pissed and degrading Apple the day the Mini was announced.

ah yes. i did my share of complaining when the mini first debuted. i was expecting something different, and i was too hung up on the price. I've had time to think about it, and the Mini is the only player in this form factor that offers the same feature set as a full-size DAP. the size difference should be more considerable that I first gave credit for - I calculated the volume difference and (if I remember right) the Mini was 40% smaller then the 10gb iPod.

Miniturization always comes at a premium. That's why we pay more for an iPod than a Zen, and a Mini than an iPod.

Feb 6, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #21 of 100
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Austonia, is the MuVo 4 GB in the running also?

No.

If i ever get around to reviewing the Muvo 1.5gb it would be clear as to why. Brief overview.

The Bad
- Controls are small and cheap-feeling. only 2 controls: the 5-way pad (volume up, volume down, ff/next, rw/previous, click-select) and the play/pause/on/off button.
- Screen is TOO SMALL. what were they thinking.
- No ID3 tag support.
- Folder-view only. One line.
- relatively thick

The Good
- Replacable battery
- No software needed
- fast transfers
- nice case, included

My GF likes it though, so that's what matters.

Feb 6, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #23 of 100
Quote:

No.

If i ever get around to reviewing the Muvo 1.5gb it would be clear as to why. Brief overview.

The Bad
- No ID3 tag support.

What?! That makes a whole lot of sense
confused.gif
(sarcastic, for Creative, I mean).

Feb 6, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #24 of 100
Quote:

ah yes. i did my share of complaining when the mini first debuted. i was expecting something different, and i was too hung up on the price. I've had time to think about it, and the Mini is the only player in this form factor that offers the same feature set as a full-size DAP.

Added features of the iPod like what? I think you should look into a PDA.

In all honesty, I think the majority of apple's 'new features' can be chalked up to the same ones found on a PDA. I wager that before long it will effectively turn into a PDA with 'can play a mp3' support.

Feb 6, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #25 of 100
Quote:

Originally posted by CrawlingEye
Added features of the iPod like what?

lol.. do a little homework and you'll figure it out.

Feb 6, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #26 of 100
Quote:

lol.. do a little homework and you'll figure it out.

The reviews haven't indicated any new 'function' (that's conducive of mp3 playing) that's found in the Mini.

Feb 6, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #27 of 100
That's because the Mini doesn't have any additional functionality that the regular iPod hasn't.

The iPod mini has been universally panned by both Mac afficionados and non-Mac fans.

It's a big blunder in it's current configuration.

The only thing that can redeem it is if Apple is able to get a 10gb version on the market at the current price or drop the price to $200 or lower on the current models.

Feb 6, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #29 of 100
Compared to the 15gb version, the mini ipod comes with a usb cable ($20) for PC users (but you likely have that already), making it slightly more than a $50 differential with the cheapest iPod for most. Also, the mini can recharge from the usb cable, unlike it's larger brethren -- that matters to me so I don't have to haul another charger around with me.

And yes, in case you haven't guessed, I'm waiting on my new mini.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back