I plan on replacing my Nitrus with an iPod Mini; here's why
Feb 7, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #47 of 100
Quote:

Originally posted by Halvie
Anyone hear any more about when these are being shipped? I went to the mac store and asked today and the guy told me end of this month or beg of next. I thought it was feb 16th. I cannot wait any longer.... I am so sick of working out to clay akin(spelling?)
smily_headphones1.gif

It's been pushed back to start of April AFAIK...

Feb 7, 2004 at 1:37 PM Post #48 of 100
Yes, I have tested a regular third generation iPod personally.

When I was researching which DAP to buy I borrowed a friend's at work because I really wanted to hear it on the system I'd be using the most before deciding on anything. I had him put a bunch of high quality MP3s I encoded myself on there for reference.

I ran the iPod though my Headroom Little into my Beyerdynamics. I thought the sound was flat and lifeless.

On top of that the iPod only has equalizer presets so you can't even adjust it exactly to your liking unlike the Rio... an essential feature for me. In fact, it's got 3 customizable equalizer settings so you can configure 3 different 5-band settings for the different cans you might use with it in different situations.

Review after review were suggesting that the Rio Karma was a better sounding player (along with the Zen) and when I got the Rio that's exactly what I found too.

It's just a much better sounding player that also allows you the flexibility to tweak things to your liking where necessary.

Feb 7, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #49 of 100
Quote:

It's been pushed back to start of April AFAIK

Where and when did you hear that? I was at the local Apple store 2 weeks ago and they said Feb 17. Things do change though. I hope this is not the case. 8 more weeks of my Rio s35 at the gym? With this player, I will admit the memory size (310MB with the 256 SD card) is not enough. 60 songs? I have to reload this sucker every week.

I guess it gves me more time to prep AAC files. I love the sound quality of these files at the Nero transparent setting (140-190kbps). Great files size for portable use compared to my LAME APS (170-230kbps) files.

Feb 8, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #51 of 100
Quote:

Originally posted by gratner
Review after review were suggesting that the Rio Karma was a better sounding player (along with the Zen) and when I got the Rio that's exactly what I found too.

It's just a much better sounding player that also allows you the flexibility to tweak things to your liking where necessary.

This is a bit of a dead horse...all the DAP's I've heard (Archos, Creative, Apple) were in the same league sound quality wise, with slightly differing signatures. The Karma is just more of the same deal...a different signature, this is painfully obvious by the fact that some people like it, while others prefer the sound quality of players made by the likes of Apple or Creative (amongst others).

Anyhow, this thread has nothing to do with the Rio Karma...the Nitrus and iPod Mini are the two players in question here.

Feb 15, 2004 at 2:00 PM Post #54 of 100
Just ordered the Mini from Amazon since i had a gift certifacte from Christmas to use.

Went with GREEN. I figured the Silver ones might be hard to get for awhile since they rank much higher in pre-sales. Got 2-day shipping, so hopefully it will be here within a week.

Once I get it I'll put together a gallery with comparison pictures of Mini, Nitrus, and Muvo2.

Feb 18, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #55 of 100
I also wanted to upgrade from my Nitrus 1.5gb to a 4gb player, so I went with the Muvo2 4gb because of cost, spare parts/replaceable battery (on Ebay), and folder view. I got my IHP because of the remote and folder view. I like the Muvo2 because I can use my NJB3 remote with it and record voice and FM radio music.

Other things I like about the Muvo2 include the plug and play design, the very standard 5 volt DC input jack (fits Ipaq power accessories/external battery packs), the replaceable battery, the rugged case with a holder for the included 4 inch USB cable, the 30mw output, the excellent sound quality, and a properly working battery charging display.

So with the stuff from Ebay and being able to use accessories I already own, the cost savings factor is LARGE.

Pluses compared to the competition:

1) Replaceable battery
2) LCD remote option
3) 14 hour battery life (mid volume, don't touch controls)
4) UMS device (plug and play)
5) Included rugged belt clip case also holds small USB cable
6) Working battery charging symbol
7) Standard 5 volt DC input jack (same as Ipaq, NJB, Dimage X, Sharp MD, Sony MD, Casio, etc)
8) Voice recorder (up to 10 hour segments)
9) FM radio and radio recording via remote
10) 30 mw power output
11) Easily disassembled to remove useful 4.0 gb microdrive and to clean LCD display
12) File delete option
13) Folder view (can play music without ID tags)

Minuses:

1) Small display
2) No bookmarks
3) No sleep timer

Feb 18, 2004 at 6:08 AM Post #56 of 100
good remarks, IpaqMan.

I also like how the same battery in the Muvo2 can be used in the Zen NX & Xtra models. Easy to swap.

Creative just has to stop with the tiny LCD's. I'd go blind looking at the Muvo too long.

Feb 18, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #57 of 100
Plus for the same price as the Zen/Muvo battery, you can buy a downgraded Muvo2 4gb (no drive) from Ebay. I got one for $50 for spare parts, but I decided to try it out with a 512mb CF card. Now I have two Muvo2 players, a 4gb and an X-Trainer.

Feb 24, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #58 of 100
Quote:

Originally posted by IpaqMan
Plus for the same price as the Zen/Muvo battery, you can buy a downgraded Muvo2 4gb (no drive) from Ebay. I got one for $50 for spare parts, but I decided to try it out with a 512mb CF card. Now I have two Muvo2 players, a 4gb and an X-Trainer.

What drives do the muvo2's take?

*EDIT* Never mind, compact flash, hmmm

Feb 24, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #59 of 100
After recently actually hearing an iPod, I can confirm that while its output is okay, it falls way short of the quality experienced with most mid-fi soundcards and really doesn't do much better than most PDCPs. Adding an amp just tends to make the garbage sound worse, and there are better players out there.

Cheers,
Geek

Feb 24, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #60 of 100
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
After recently actually hearing an iPod, I can confirm that while its output is okay, it falls way short of the quality experienced with most mid-fi soundcards and really doesn't do much better than most PDCPs. Adding an amp just tends to make the garbage sound worse, and there are better players out there.

Cheers,
Geek

To play devils advocate here, can you carry around a mid-fi soundcard in your pocket? Not really
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back