I plan on replacing my Nitrus with an iPod Mini; here's why
Feb 6, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #31 of 100
Quote:

Originally posted by kli
Compared to the 15gb version, the mini ipod comes with a usb cable ($20) for PC users (but you likely have that already), making it slightly more than a $50 differential with the cheapest iPod for most. Also, the mini can recharge from the usb cable, unlike it's larger brethren -- that matters to me so I don't have to haul another charger around with me.

And yes, in case you haven't guessed, I'm waiting on my new mini.

smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting.. I didn't know those two bits of info.. which could be very useful.. hmm...

Let me know what you think of them when you get them..
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #33 of 100
Quote:

Originally posted by gratner
P.T. Barnum was right.

And you've got the sales numbers to prove it right?

Wait, they haven't even shipped yet. Turns out that you don't know a thing.

Feb 7, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #34 of 100
Austonia, I have gotten rid of my Nitrus, so I too can get the ipod mini. For me its all about active use. My Nitrus never skipped, so I see no reason why the Mini will (fingers crossed). The cheap joystick did me in on the Nitrus.

As to those who complain about 4GB vs. 15GB I say this, "do you ever sit at your computer at least once every 2 weeks?" If so, how hard is it to load up 100 or 200 new songs??? Who needs to have 10,000 songs on their person at all times? Granted, I would like 5 or 6GB to get 1000 songs (about 700 songs at Nero AAC transparent setting = 4GB) but I can live with 4 GB for the compact size.

I just do not get people who talk all day about size vs. GB as being SO important. If you need so much memory, buy a laptop with a 60GB HD and carry your whole collection around. You can watch movies, play games, and listen to music then. Memory is an issue with flash drive players but not with HD players. I have yet to even listen to 25% of the songs loaded on my 40 GB Nomad Zen Xtra (thankfully I did not buy the 60!).

Like you Austonia - its silver for me - no peach or lime.

2 final comments on the Ipod mini. iTunes rocks and AAC is simply the best format out there (MPC has no support so it does not count).

Feb 7, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #37 of 100
Quote:

Originally posted by SpoonMan
Wicked....cars have nothing to do with this subject...you get the gold star for pointless posting

lol, right on

Feb 7, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #39 of 100
Quote:

When I buy my next car... I want something that's very stylish yet goes half the speed of my current vehicle for nearly the same price.

LOL

And I want a less stylish car, but one that can go 200 mph for a few $$$ more even though the speed limit is 70 - and I never need to drive over 100.

Feb 7, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #40 of 100
Quote:

Never heard of an analogy, huh?

simply, it wasn't a good analogy. both the iPod and Mini function exactley the same, so performance (speed) isn't the issue. Capacity and size are the difference, so a better analogy would be to compare the gas tanks, right? How often do you need to fill up? 15 gallons is a lot more than 4 gallons, but if you only drive it a few times a week to the gym and back, the difference isn't a big deal.

MINITURAZATION ALWAYS COMES AT A PREMIUM.
smily_headphones1.gif

nothing new to electronics... digicams, cell phones, pda's, laptops... the smaller, the more expensive, and the less bang for the buck. but still, the smallest gadgets are always hot sellers...

Feb 7, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #41 of 100
MacRumors.com is reporting that Apple wants to reduce the price of the mini to $200 "as soon as humanly possible".

Regardless... the RIO Karma sounds better and I thought that's what this place was about.
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #42 of 100
Well this might wound gratner but RIO is having trouble selling the Karma. It's not that they have not sold them just no where near what they thought they would expact a good size price drop and a redesign soon "development code name instant karma"

The car analogy that is appropriate is the regular ipod is a top end Accord and the mini is an S2000. The former is very comfortable and a very good set of features, the latter is real small, real fast and real cool.

And sound is very important but when you are dealing with a portable there are always trade offs. Following the logic of the best sound only, we'd only listen to music on our home systems.

Good design, good interface and very good sound is the ipod.

I personally thought that Karma sounded roughly equal but hated the short fat shape. It's the oompa loompa of MP3 players

Feb 7, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #43 of 100
To me sound is the overriding factor... and the Karma sounds better.

It has more "audiophile" features than the iPod.... but to be fair they have different target audiences.

The iPod is targeted at the masses whereby the Karma's selling points lean more towards the high end audio audience.

I look forward to the next version of the Karma... I hear they're shooting for a spring release and if it is all that much better than the original Karma... great... I'll sell this one and buy the Karma 2.

Feb 7, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #44 of 100
Quote:

To me sound is the overriding factor... and the Karma sounds better.

thats cool, but my opinions were completely opposite. i tested both players with the same EAC/LAME encoded tracks, flat EQ, and the iPod was clearly better to my ears. not even close. The Karma sounded dark and mushy in comparison, which is the main reason I never bought one. It's got a million features, but the sound matters. In my experience the iPod has the best uamped sound quality of any DAP; the most audiophile headphone output. The iPod EQ is dumb, good thing I don't need it.

But we all have different ears and what matters is what YOU like.

Anyway, I hope the same quality shines through with the Mini, because I'm not too happy with the sound quality of the Nitrus. It works, but its not great.

Feb 7, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #45 of 100
Anyone hear any more about when these are being shipped? I went to the mac store and asked today and the guy told me end of this month or beg of next. I thought it was feb 16th. I cannot wait any longer.... I am so sick of working out to clay akin(spelling?)
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back