I need the truth! (Headfive + DT 880)
Oct 24, 2008 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, some '03 DT880's are heading my way and having read up on the synergy between the Headfive and DT880's, it looks like I might need to upgrade my amp in due time since people have said the Headfive supposedly doesn't have enough grunt to properly power the DT880's.
However this conflicts with people saying that Meier amps have good synergy and run well with DT880's. Also confusing is people that state they like the combo and then 2 years later in posts, state they don't like it >.<
I'm looking into tube amps atm.
I've read up that the Woo Audio 3 is good but unfortunately, that's really out of my budget tbh.

Something like a Little Dot Mark MKII / MK III is more my budget area.
I do intend to keep those DT880's for a while.

Is the Little Dot I+ a good value bet vs. a headfive?

So what I want to know is that can the H5 run the DT880's properly?

Also what amps for say the up to $250 max region (solid-state or tube) should I be looking at and that snergises well with the DT880.
Synergy is most important for me.

Also I've read that tubes offer better SQ than solid-state? true or not?

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 7
you know nobody knows about your synergy right? since you already have the amp, and your headphones coming. why not just give them a try and let your ears decide and go from there?

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 7
img_fewgoodmen.jpg

You can't handle the truth!

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 7
It's been awhile, but I ran the '03 DT880 with a HeadFive. Still have the DT880, but sold the amp about a year ago.

I remember them sounding good together - the HeadFive is slightly warm which mates well with the DT880. Though I prefer tubes with the DT880. They smooth it over and bring out the mids.

That depends on the music you listen to, however. If you like low end power and control for bass, solid state is crisper down there. Tubes, generally, have the best mids. If you listen to a lot of acoustics and vocal material, they're your best bet.

You might want to consider the Eddie Current Lunchbox II. I got to listen to one last weekend and was impressed.

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 7
When I had the DT880/2003 and the HeadFive, my feeling was that the HF could not adequately drive the Beyers; the DT880 just sounded like they were being held back to me w/the HF. My favorite pairing with the HF, by far, were the UE Super.fi 5Pro. : )

The Darkvoice 336i sounded very good with the Beyers, too, as does the Darkvoice 337 and, especially, the Bada PH-12.

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been awhile, but I ran the '03 DT880 with a HeadFive. Still have the DT880, but sold the amp about a year ago.

I remember them sounding good together - the HeadFive is slightly warm which mates well with the DT880. Though I prefer tubes with the DT880. They smooth it over and bring out the mids.

That depends on the music you listen to, however. If you like low end power and control for bass, solid state is crisper down there. Tubes, generally, have the best mids. If you listen to a lot of acoustics and vocal material, they're your best bet.

You might want to consider the Eddie Current Lunchbox II. I got to listen to one last weekend and was impressed.

Well, I prefer good mids over bass (although still important, I prefer better mids more if I had to choose) so I might tube-it-up.

Any recommendations of tube amps that sync well with the DT880 under or around $250?

As much as I'd like the Bada, out of my budget
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back