I need some helping choosing some headphones.
Jan 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

randomriot

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. So I've been doing my research (as best as I could at least lol) and I'm torn between 2 different headsets.

Keep in mind, they will be plugged into a xonar essence STX, and they will be used for gaming 80% / music 20%.

Also just to give you an idea of the genres I enjoy.

Gaming: mostly FPS such as counter strike source/CoD/battlefield3... yes I like to sound whore it up in these...

Music: I listen to A LOT of stuff but 75% of it is electronic based. Some good examples would be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSM_ir1nPrY as well as anything from the album "dive" by Tycho.

I HARDLY!!! If at all, listen to anything SUPER agressive or with a huge bass drop for example. Metal or dirty dubstep.

As for the headphones I'm looking at. the Sennheiser HD 598 and the Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro (250 omh)

Also I've already looked at mad lusts guide in case anyone was going to link that.

P.S The reason I've chosen these 2 is because at the time of typing this, they are both below 200$. Which is my limit.

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:
Hello everyone. So I've been doing my research (as best as I could at least lol) and I'm torn between 2 different headsets.

Keep in mind, they will be plugged into a xonar essence STX, and they will be used for gaming 80% / music 20%.

Gaming: mostly FPS such as counter strike source/CoD/battlefield3... yes I like to sound whore it up in these...

Music: I listen to A LOT of stuff but 75% of it is electronic based. Some good examples would be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSM_ir1nPrY as well as anything from the album "dive" by Tycho.

I HARDLY!!! If at all, listen to anything SUPER agressive or with a huge bass drop for example. Metal or dirty dubstep.

As for the headphones I'm looking at. the Sennheiser HD 598 and the Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro (250 omh)

Also I've already looked at mad lusts guide in case anyone was going to link that.

P.S The reason I've chosen these 2 is because at the time of typing this, they are both below 200$. Which is my limit.

Well if it's mostly for Gaming I'd go with the DT 990.

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Heya,

I would go with the Sony MA900. Massive sound stage, not anemic, great mids and treble. Great for gaming. Great for music.

Very best,

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 20
thanks for recommending the MA900. I've been looking up on that one and it seems almost ideal for what I want. just one question is, how does it compare to the other two? It says it's 12 omh which I found surprising. If I did go with the ma900 I wouldn't really need the xonar essence stx.. I think.

the funny thing about this is that I'm upgrading from my.... "cough" turtle beach x12 "cough" headset...

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 20
FWIW, the ATH-AD700 is considered one of the best for gaming ... and one of the worst for music. I don't know if I would recommend it because I get the feeling that your 80% gaming, 20% music might change once you get a good set of headphones. :) So I'd recommend you do get one that is also good with music. You'll be glad you did.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 20
I'd go definitely with the 990's. They are accurate with spacious soundstage, makes you feel like you're in the game. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:
I'd go definitely with the 990's. They are accurate with spacious soundstage, makes you feel like you're in the game. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 20
@wolfe, why you quote me on every reply? 
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
FWIW, the ATH-AD700 is considered one of the best for gaming ... and one of the worst for music. I don't know if I would recommend it because I get the feeling that your 80% gaming, 20% music might change once you get a good set of headphones. :) So I'd recommend you do get one that is also good with music. You'll be glad you did.

yeah I've looked at the AD700 and i've heared they have very little bass. which is something i wouldn't like.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:
@wolfe, why you quote me on every reply? 
tongue.gif

lol. I think he's doing what a lot of people do, just not putting '+1' after it. :wink:

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

lol. I think he's doing what a lot of people do, just not putting '+1' after it. :wink:

Ahh..i get it now. 
biggrin.gif

in that case, thanks mate. 

Op, take a look what Mad lust envy says about the DT990:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-1-11-13-astro-mixamp-2013-added

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 20
DT990 - Great for gaming, pretty good for music, excellent bass, and very comfortable. Soundstage is good, which is key for gaming, and the fact that you don't need an amp for them is a plus if you are on a budget.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back