I need some full size headphones for at home!
Jan 19, 2011 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HumanAfterYall

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, could you hit me with some rec's for the price range of $100 - $150 CAD? There's a headphone bar in Vancouver but I don't know what they all stock. Give me your best rec's and I'll check them out in-store / online.
Thanks in advance guys!

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 18
What kind of music do you listen to? Do you have or plan on getting an amp?

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 18

No amp. I listen to a lot of electronic stuff so I want a good lower end, but I also want a good midrange and clear highs for my folkier music, etc.

I can't comment on the mids and highs because I haven't actually heard them, but whenever un-amped and bass come up, sooner or later someone brings up the ATH-M50. You might wanna give those a look.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 18
The Alessandro MS-1i is right in your price range and is all-around great.  It's got excellent bass (and plenty of it), great mids (visceral is a word I like to use), and sparkly but definitely not fatiguing highs.  They're tamed Grados, by all accounts - and available for 110 USD shipped worldwide.

Their only major downside is the up-front soundstage - you get excellent separation, but sound sources sound relatively close to you.  I haven't heard many headphones in this price range, but few of them are praised for their soundstage.  The Sennheiser HD 555 and HD 595 might be worth considering as well, but I haven't heard them (only the HD 600, which I own - and the MS-1i comes incredibly close to them for a third of the price).

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
The Alessandro MS-1i is right in your price range and is all-around great.  It's got excellent bass (and plenty of it), great mids (visceral is a word I like to use), and sparkly but definitely not fatiguing highs.  They're tamed Grados, by all accounts - and available for 110 USD shipped worldwide.

Their only major downside is the up-front soundstage - you get excellent separation, but sound sources sound relatively close to you.  I haven't heard many headphones in this price range, but few of them are praised for their soundstage.  The Sennheiser HD 555 and HD 595 might be worth considering as well, but I haven't heard them (only the HD 600, which I own - and the MS-1i comes incredibly close to them for a third of the price).

I'm having a lot of trouble finding a place online that will ship Grados to me, I don't know if the Alessandros are an exception. The headphone bar I mentioned carries sr60i's for $115, so I was considering that. I can at least listen to them first. I think they also carry Sennheiser. Are the Alessandros better than the sr60i for the price? Is $115 a ripoff?

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #12 of 18
Well, it's worth trying them there - but yeah, $115 is a ripoff compared to its US price of $79.

Grado prices outside the US are rather crazy, but Alessandro has the same price everywhere.  The MS-1is are said to fall in performance between the SR-80i and SR-125i, so it's a significant improvement.  They're also voiced differently - like I said, the Alessandros are "tamed" Grados.  It's been a long time since I've heard any Grados, but the Alessandros are very well balanced.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Well, it's worth trying them there - but yeah, $115 is a ripoff compared to its US price of $79.

Grado prices outside the US are rather crazy, but Alessandro has the same price everywhere.  The MS-1is are said to fall in performance between the SR-80i and SR-125i, so it's a significant improvement.  They're also voiced differently - like I said, the Alessandros are "tamed" Grados.  It's been a long time since I've heard any Grados, but the Alessandros are very well balanced.

Well I think regardless of what happens I'll be trying out quite a few pairs when I head out to the city this weekend and go there. Do you know where I could order some Grados or Alessandros to Canada for a reasonable price? Amazon doesn't even have Alessandros and won't ship the Grados here.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #14 of 18
You order them directly from their website:
http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

When you test the Grados, I would expect that the Alessandros have slightly more bass and slightly less high mids/low treble - that's what I mean by tamed.  This might suit you better if you find the Grados too in-your-face.  But like I said, it's been a while since I've listened to Grados.

I've been listening to Orbital the last hour and I'm digging it on the MS-1i (although the Sennheiser HD 600 are of course better). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back