I need pics of the insides of your 115V DAC-AH
May 12, 2007 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

thislittlepiggy

100+ Head-Fier
*edit: I'm trying to convert my DAC-AH from 230V to 115V, and I haven't reached the answer yet. I'm calling on any DAC-AH owners in the US (or any country that uses 110V) to show me images of the inside of your DAC-AH, paying close attention to the transformer and the power input prongs, so that I may attempt to copy the config.

I just bought a DAC-AH from a guy in Australia, but I just realized our voltages aren't the same
frown.gif
. I live in the U.S., and the outlets here are 110V (i think). The voltage on the Australian unit is 250V... What can I do to use this unit in America?

May 12, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 32
I just tried plugging the DAC into my wall socket using an spare power supply cable (probably not the smartest thing to do). The unit turns on, but I'm afraid that this might cause it harm. Is this true or am I mistaken and using 110V is alright with an australian unit?
frown.gif

May 12, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 32
You'll need a 240 to 110 converter. That's an odd one to find. Most are 220 to 110V. Best email the manufacturer to find out if the transformer can be rewired, and how.
The only DAC I know of that has a power supply that can be used anywhere in the world is the TC-7510. They do give you a choice of plugs to choose from when buying, but the adapter is able to switch to the correct voltage and mains frequency automatically.

May 12, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 32
I don't think plugging in a 250 volt device into a 120 volt device will do your unit harm (tried many times when I was a kid) but 120 volt unit into a 250 will definitely screw up the circuits.

I think you may find an adapter that transform 250 to 120 (I thought it would be 240 hmm,,, interesting....)

but but before you get a adapter, don't plug it into the power socket anymore

May 13, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 32
yep you'll need a step up transformer.

ALSO

from my little knowledge about electronics and breif observations of the internals, i think it's possible to rewire the transformer for 110v.... i would really look into this as a step up can cost a bit and may be detrimental to the sound? can someone confirm?

(btw we have the same dacs!)

May 13, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 32
Awesome, Mrjabba! I'm not really into the whole cable-and-power-source-affecting-sound shebang, but i think insufficient power or too much can be detrimental to the sound. I'm not much of a modder myself, so I'm not super sure I would know how to rewire the internals to change it 110V. I certainly hope that it's easy to do.

May 13, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by thislittlepiggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of getting this transformer. It's rated for 100W, but I'm not sure if this is enough power. What do you guys think?

You might want to go with the 200W unit for 19.99. I'm not sure what the DAC-AH draws, but that should give you plenty of margin. I bought the same type from them, but a 300W model to power my Musical Fidelity CDP. I don't notice any noise in the system from it.

A_Sr.

May 13, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #13 of 32
if you bought it from the guys @ coem just ask them to re-wire the transformer to accept 110v before they ship it out.

they're really friendly and accommodating for their customers. it is possible on most products. I'm looking at the inside of my DAC-AH also purchased from coem and there is a wire coming from the transformer that is taped up, so i am assuming that is the 110v input option.

May 13, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #14 of 32
According to Tube Research Labs, the DAC-AH can easily be modded to run in any voltage you choose. they did the conversion for me on mine (incoming). I think Pacific Valve or Reference Audio mods can also do it. No need to buy step up/down transformers. Email some of those sites and see what they say. You might even try your local electronics repair man and see what he has to say. I have an inkling it is a 30 minute job once they see what needs changing. Maybe one of the above sites can explain what needs doing and you can get a local guy to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back