I need pics of the insides of your 115V DAC-AH
May 13, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #17 of 32
Open the DAC, and look what transformers are used. Search for the datasheets to determine what rewiring is needed. Do note that though Australia uses 240V, the unit will likely be wired for 230V, so all voltages from 220-240 are fine (within 5% = mostly ok).

May 13, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #18 of 32
Here's a pic of the inside.

img1521vb3.jpg

I'll try to look up the transformer on google although I'm not quite sure what to search.

May 13, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #19 of 32
Don't waste your time with getting a step up transformer. It is all there. However since it is mains and I don't want you to get electrocuted I suggest that you find someone or a shop that can do electrical wiring. The wiring leads for the 230V line need to be changed to 115V. A simple process that can however kill you if incorrectly done, like if the wires are not properly secured afterwards. So I won't tell you how to do it out of safety.

May 14, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #20 of 32
The quickest solution you'll get is to just take it down the street to a local any-brand electronic repair dude and tell him you'd like it set to work in the US. He'll be done in 20-30 minutes. Get off the forum and pull out the phone book! The electronics guy doesn't even need to know anything about audio components etc. Just electronics.

May 14, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #22 of 32
ok, i flipped the switch and the unit just made a loud humming noise. haha man this is crazy stuff. I'm going to wait until I hear back from a professional.

I've been looking around at other people's configurations and I noticed that the upper right plug usually has the yellow and orange wires attached to it. I copied those configs, and it doesn't make that horrendous humming sound when i turned it on. It doesn't make much sense to me because originally, only to orange wire was attached the that spot.

I hope I finally get it right this time.

May 14, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #23 of 32
As an engineer I have to observe the international engineering rules. The question is not if it works but if its safe and if it legally allowed. The standards are IEC-61558 or IEC-60742.

Primary is in series for 230V. That means 115V has to be in parallel. The answer is in the pdf document HERE
just substitute "240V" for 115V and "480V" for 230V. And don't sue me, but the writers of that document if you get it wrong...

May 14, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by thislittlepiggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh and D-Cee, can you post a picture of your DAC-AH innards?

probably more worthwhile looking at other users' innards (from the USA - I'm australian), but i will post mine when i get a chance

by the looks of things you've done it already, is it working ok now?

May 15, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #28 of 32
Looking at the photo, yellow and green (from the mains inlet) will be connected together in the 230V version. (without connection to the mains inlet)
Separate them and connect them to mains according to the diagram on the transformer.

May 15, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #29 of 32
my limited knowledge of circuits led me to believe that in order to get the transformers to run in parallel, i should connect red+green to the + main, and yellow+orange to the - main. However, when i tried this, the unit would turn on as soon as i plugged the power cable in even when the button is in the off position.

argh, i suck at circuits

May 15, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #30 of 32
In 115V mode you have two 115V circuits. Try to wire both the positive wires to the transformer via the switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back