I need phones for composing music: $150
Mar 19, 2011 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jacob13

New Head-Fier
Hey all,
I'm a newb when it comes to headphones. I use a program called Fruity Loops to compose music regularly. When I get so many instruments going at once, my laptop speakers crackle. I've used external speakers and they crackle as well. I've determinded that my sound card can't handle the amount of processing I'm asking it to do. I plan to upgrade my sound card to the Asus Xonar Essence STX card. It's high end and I'll need some equal quality headphones to go with it.

I don't want to spend more than $150 on the phones. I have my eye on the Sennheiser HD595 but like I said, I'm a newb and could use advice. Although I do most of my work at home, I don't want to have to use an amp to get the full quality out of my phones. I believe that the higher the impedence, the better it is to have an amp, correct? These phones have an impedence of only 50 ohms. From the research I've done I don't think these would need an amp. Am I right?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't need noise canceling and I don't want a mic. Just some good quality headphones that will allow me to listen to trance, piano, rock, metal, electropop... everything, without hindrance.

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
Hey all,
I'm a newb when it comes to headphones. I use a program called Fruity Loops to compose music regularly. When I get so many instruments going at once, my laptop speakers crackle. I've used external speakers and they crackle as well. I've determinded that my sound card can't handle the amount of processing I'm asking it to do. I plan to upgrade my sound card to the Asus Xonar Essence STX card. It's high end and I'll need some equal quality headphones to go with it.

I don't want to spend more than $150 on the phones. I have my eye on the Sennheiser HD595 but like I said, I'm a newb and could use advice. Although I do most of my work at home, I don't want to have to use an amp to get the full quality out of my phones. I believe that the higher the impedence, the better it is to have an amp, correct?

>> Yes, higher impedance--higher voltage--amp is better..

These phones have an impedence of only 50 ohms. From the research I've done I don't think these would need an amp. Am I right?

>> The Asus Essence has a built in head-amp and as far as I know it is a good one..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't need noise canceling and I don't want a mic. Just some good quality headphones that will allow me to listen to trance, piano, rock, metal, electropop... everything, without hindrance.

>> Ask here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529144/buying-headphones-seeking-guidance-don-t-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back