i need IEM's. help?
Mar 20, 2008 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

emericanchaos

100+ Head-Fier
i need some IEM's for the gym and for when i'm on the bike. i want IEM's so i don't have to worry about sweat on them and i want something that will go far enough in my ear that it won't disturb the fit of my helmet. just don't want something so small they'll get jammed in my ears.

oh yeah, the important part. i listen to rock mostly. i bump some rap tunes sometimes but not as much when i don't have subwoofers to play with. my music is very guitar oriented with lots of solos. i tend to prefer the mid-upper mid boosted with just enough bass to fill it out. nothing boomy. highs should not be shrill or dry. that's a big complaint i have with my current setup. everyone sounds like they have a lisp.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 20
Emmmm, what's your budget. When I think of small, I think Ety's, but they aren't exactly good on bass for rap. I like their bass, but most don't. If you have a budget under $200, the q-JAYS are small.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by emericanchaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i need some IEM's for the gym and for when i'm on the bike. i want IEM's so i don't have to worry about sweat on them and i want something that will go far enough in my ear that it won't disturb the fit of my helmet. just don't want something so small they'll get jammed in my ears.

oh yeah, the important part. i listen to rock mostly. i bump some rap tunes sometimes but not as much when i don't have subwoofers to play with. my music is very guitar oriented with lots of solos. i tend to prefer the mid-upper mid boosted with just enough bass to fill it out. nothing boomy. highs should not be shrill or dry. that's a big complaint i have with my current setup. everyone sounds like they have a lisp.

Well, as you have probably figured out if you have spent any time going through some of the threads on the forum, there are MANY options available to you. Describing the type of music you listen to is very helpful in narrowing down the choices. It's pretty important to know what your budget is as well. The price range can go from $20 to as high as $1200 - where do you fit on the scale?

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 20
$150 range. these aren't really crucial. just looking for a sort of workhorse really. they'll be on an 80GB classic so something to compliment would be cool.

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 20
ER6i with shure black foamies sounds INCREDIBLE. Great with rock. SO detailed. I prefer them to my old MS1's in some ways. Some say the bass is lacking but it's fine for me and they respond well to EQ so you can adjust it if needed.

IMO, don't bother if you dont use the shure black foamies.

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER6i with shure black foamies sounds INCREDIBLE. Great with rock. SO detailed. I prefer them to my old MS1's in some ways. Some say the bass is lacking but it's fine for me and they respond well to EQ so you can adjust it if needed.

IMO, don't bother if you dont use the shure black foamies.

i know jack about IEMs. if i buy ety's how exactly would i get shure foamies?

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 20
Shure black foam can be ordered online from a few of our sponsors or directly from Shure. We call it 'olives' here.

Mar 20, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #10 of 20
In my opinion there are quite a few options. With the most obvious being SF5 Pro or UM1. The UM1s fit is really good and it does not stick out at all. Sound wise they are a bit behind the SF5 Pros.

If you want comfort and very little microphonics then go for the UM1s. If you value performance over fit and ease of insertion then go for the SF5 Pros.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #12 of 20
I agree. Natural_Nut, cycling with IEMs sound like a free ticket to the River Styx.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 20
In addition to safety issues involved in wearing IEMs while cycling, I also wouldn't want to invest much money in IEMs that will be exposed to excess amounts of sweat generated during vigorous exercise.

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #14 of 20
I tried ety6 on a back road on my bike. Never again. You have no idea what's going on around you. I do bike with earbuds, which are a good compromise. But, I wouldn't recommend anyone wear any headphones on a bike.

Mar 21, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #15 of 20
i'll be on a Yamaha R6. motorbike not pedals. with a yosh pipe and a helmet you can't really hear much anyway.

what are SF5's? are UM1's from Westone?

thanks for all the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back