I need help with a decision concerning ATH-Pro700MK2
Dec 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

alecd423

Head-Fier
Hey all,
I am looking at headphones for use without an amplifier and these have peaked my interest.  Do you think this would be a good decision for someone who mostly listens to music through a laptop and ipod?  I listen to mostly rap R&B dubstep and rock.  Please let me know.  Also if you give any suggestions I want to keep it under $250.  Lastly, these are the first real headphones I am wanting to purchase.

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
Hey all,
I am looking at headphones for use without an amplifier and these have peaked my interest.  Do you think this would be a good decision for someone who mostly listens to music through a laptop and ipod?  I listen to mostly rap R&B dubstep and rock.  Please let me know.  Also if you give any suggestions I want to keep it under $250.  Lastly, these are the first real headphones I am wanting to purchase.

The pro700mk2's are a decent decision for those genres, but they are very y=uncomfortable and need pad replacement IMO. The DT770 80ohm are an amazing bass selection, and are durable and comfortable. They would get my vote no doubt.

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 11
Isn't 80ohms too much if i have no amp?

Not at all, they run quite efficiently on portable devices. Just because a pair of can has a higher impedance, doesn't mean it can't run well without amplification. Not that an amp wouldn't improve SQ, but it's not entirely necessary.

Some headphones with an impedance of 32 ohms even sound better with an amp. It all depends on your source, and audio files.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #6 of 11
What about UE6000 or M50?

I could not turn you away from the M50's enough. They do NOT have the bass you'd want.

I don't know too much about the UE6000, but if you want clean sound, style, and heavy bass, look at the M-80's

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 11
Really? Everything i have read about them talks about how good they are.

They are without a doubt the most overhyped headphones on Head-fi. I didn't like them at all

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #10 of 11
M-80, Proo700mk2, M-Audio Q40

All around 150~. Tha Q40 can go for as low as 80

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
The pro700mk2's are a decent decision for those genres, but they are very y=uncomfortable and need pad replacement IMO. The DT770 80ohm are an amazing bass selection, and are durable and comfortable. They would get my vote no doubt.

I ended up getting the Beyers.  They sound amazing! Thank you for the help.
Do you happen to know some good portable amps to pair up with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back