I need help on upgrading IEMs, no amp, $500 budget, various genres.
Sep 24, 2010 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

fosi

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, this is my first thread so go easy on me ok? I´ve read a lot in the forums and I think it´s best to be as detailed as posible, so here I go!

I´m looking to upgrade from a pair of $100 bose intra in ear phones, (32 Ohm impedance, 102db sensivity, 20hz to 20Khz response) now I´ve read a lot about this IEMs and found them to be rather disliked by most people in the forums, even though I think they are quite good IEMs considering they were an upgrade from my ipod´s stock earphones, what I find very pleasing about their sound signature is the comfortable mids which are quite detailed IMO perfect for Jazz music (Dave Brubeck´s "Take five" through these headphones is amazingly clear and crisp!) , even though I do find them lacking in the treble area, and a bit muddy bass-wise, and above all; they are not as loud as I would want them to be. (Maybe this is an appreciation based on the fact that this bose IEM´s are NOT sound isolating?)

I´m driving these new IEM´s through an iPod touch 3g, most of my music library is in ALAC lossless format (ripped by me), I want a pair of IEMs which do not need an amp, I listen mostly to acoustic music (All types of Jazz, vocal music, New age and stuff) even though I do like to listen to a wide range of other genres from time to time (even Children of Bodom´s Death Metal
darthsmile.gif
)

What I don´t listen to: ANY type of electronic music, Orchestral nor Classical Music, Hip Hop and nothing with a lot of bass into it.

So this is my wish list for my new IEM´s!

WIDE soundstage (I´m the kind of guy who merges with music and travels with it...)
Not a very bassy response (Want the bass to sound natural and detailed).
Sound detail and clarity (be able to distinguish every instrument clearly)
Loud response (I know about taking care of your hearing, but who doesn´t like to crank it up once in a while?)
I don´t mind if they look odd or ugly, I care more about sound quality and durability! 
Budget; $500 US (Perhaps a little more...)

Thanks for reading!

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 17
SM3, FX700 and UM3x.......

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 17
Thanks for your replies; I took a look on the following models; Westone UM3X, SM3, JVC FX700 and Shure SE535.

Those SM3 must be quite loud with 122 db sensivity and 16 ohms impedance, and people seem to talk great about them, but I´m concerned about the fit, I don´t seem to find very comfortable having this plastic little box resting in your ear all the time and also having this cable wraped on your ear, sort of resting on it; any thoughts on this?

Those clear Shure SE535 look hot! does anyone have experience listening to Heavy metal with them? Jazz? Ambient music?

Based on your "listening" experiences with all of them, (and remember, whitout the use of an amp) which of these four models has the better soundstage? Which of these is more... "musical" (Yes I know the term is quite ambiguous) Which of these will make me jump out of the couch the first time I listen to some great jazz recording and say "Wow, it really feels you´re there" (I don´t care much about very very flat eq response, but I want these IEMs to be LOUD and FUN!)

Sorry for my vague vocabulary, I´m not very good at communicating my thoughts but I do give it my best try.
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 17
Nov 10, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 17
Hi fosi.

You can try starkey custom IEMS.
I had Monster Turbine Pro Gold and after i listen to Starkey SA-12 demo at the store,(Same sound as Starkey erm-3 it is cheaper to) it nailed it so bad that i sold my Monster day after.
Starkey SA-12 just had so good mids and high notes(Sound detail and clarity) was so impressive.
I never heard James blundt sound that good before.
Friend of mine love starkeys to, he told me he falled in love with it.
And it feels like more that your enjoying and listening to your music rather then analysing music while your are listening to it, like westone umx3 he haves.

But anyways i have orded Starkey erm-3 and might do a review when i get in 2 weeks or so, if anyone is interested.
And sorry for my bad english.

Nov 10, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 17
I'm owning SE535 as my second IEM after CK7 so I don't know nothing about its other rivals.

However I owned pretty a lot of full sizes and regarding musicality I must say SE535 is top-notch. The magic mid-range scales so well with metal and hard rock.

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #13 of 17

I'm owning SE535 as my second IEM after CK7 so I don't know nothing about its other rivals.

However I owned pretty a lot of full sizes and regarding musicality I must say SE535 is top-notch. The magic mid-range scales so well with metal and hard rock.

<
I cn gee with this 100. I'm listening to them right now out of my iPad and I'm loving the sound im getting; the bass is there, strong and deep, but not overpowering. The midrange is what these phones are known for and I can plainly see why: amazing. Vocal oriented, acoustic, rnb, and hip hop tracks all sound superb and better on these iems than anything else i have heard (check my profile for all of the headphones i had)

If you listen to the right genres of music for these iems (which I believe you do) these phones are well worth the money.

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #15 of 17
UM3X seems good..

or the JH5, or even the baby stax, theres many to choose from

Users who are viewing this thread

Back