I need advice and guidanceo badly! | Audio Technica ATH-AD900 vs ATH-A900 | Or recommend me something else?
Oct 23, 2010 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

iftwb

New Head-Fier
Hi all, first post here at Head-Fi! I've been reading and swooping around the forums a lot and haven't really posted before. But I've heard a lot of great things about Head-Fi.

I basically need a recommendation for headphones that suit my criteria. My criteria, expectations or needs are as follows:

- I will mainly use them for music and movies, but mostly music and the occasional gaming. Music genres I like:
  : RnB
  : Hip-Hop
  : House
  : Trance
  : You can imperatively see that I'm into music that has a focus on bass.
- I expect them to be easily driven without any dedicated headphone amplifier
- I expect them to be easily driven by my iPhone when I would like to use the headphone on public transport
- I expect them to work well with my ASUS Xonar Essence STX
- I want a headphone that has fast, loud, tight bass

I have several in mind that I am interested in as stated in the title of this thread:

- Audio Technica ATH-AD900 
- Audio Technica ATH-A900

Why I have selected these?
I guess they deliver to my needs above. Considering they're known to be easily driven (35-40ohms range), have a good (decent?) sound stage suited to my music genres, and finally they can be driven by the onboard headphone amplifier on my ASUS Xonar Essence STX.

I have several dilemmas and hence, my questions are as follows:

1. Given that I'm aware that the AD900 is an open headphone and the A900 is a closed headphone, which would be better suited to my needs?

2. The AD900 (open) only has a 'power handling' of 700W where as the A900 (closed) has 2000W of 'power handling'. What does this mean? Does it mean the A900 can go louder? =S

3. Do you have any other recommendations from Beyerdynamics, Sennheiser, etc that are directly comparable to these models? Comparable in sound quality, sound stage, bass performance etc and price?

4. I was originally going to grab a set of HD650s, DT990s or K702s, but I've been told that the STX (despite stating having the ability to power up to 600ohms cans), just won't deliver the full potential of these cans. Therefore the premium price you pay for these won't be worth it unless you look into can amps. Is this true?

Oct 23, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
I would like to use the headphone on public transport

This line alone would make me suggest you do not go with an open headphone. Get the A900, but bear in mind, these headphones are huge.

And to add to what TheMiddleSky said, the AD series has rather light bass; not lacking in my opinion however for your music preferences which are very bass heavy you would probably be disappointed with the AD900.

And since you're open to other suggestions put me down for recommending anything from the Beyer line (770/880/990). I would shy away from the 990 and maybe 880 if you are going to use these in public often as they can be quite noisy to the people around you; however I can say that the DT 880 is my favorite and most versatile headphone. And since gaming is on the table here too, they are more or less the best for gaming in the sub $500 price range (look into an Astro Mixamp if you game on a console). Just be sure to look into 32 or 80 ohm if you pick a Beyer since you are going to be going ampless.

Speaking of ampless, that brings us back to the A900; you will be fine without one. I'd say go that way and then run away with your wallet as fast as you can.

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Hi all, first post here at Head-Fi! I've been reading and swooping around the forums a lot and haven't really posted before. But I've heard a lot of great things about Head-Fi.

I basically need a recommendation for headphones that suit my criteria. My criteria, expectations or needs are as follows:

- I will mainly use them for music and movies, but mostly music and the occasional gaming. Music genres I like:
  : RnB
  : Hip-Hop
  : House
  : Trance
  : You can imperatively see that I'm into music that has a focus on bass.
- I expect them to be easily driven without any dedicated headphone amplifier
- I expect them to be easily driven by my iPhone when I would like to use the headphone on public transport
- I expect them to work well with my ASUS Xonar Essence STX
- I want a headphone that has fast, loud, tight bass

I have several in mind that I am interested in as stated in the title of this thread:

- Audio Technica ATH-AD900 
- Audio Technica ATH-A900

Why I have selected these?
I guess they deliver to my needs above. Considering they're known to be easily driven (35-40ohms range), have a good (decent?) sound stage suited to my music genres, and finally they can be driven by the onboard headphone amplifier on my ASUS Xonar Essence STX.

I have several dilemmas and hence, my questions are as follows:

1. Given that I'm aware that the AD900 is an open headphone and the A900 is a closed headphone, which would be better suited to my needs?

2. The AD900 (open) only has a 'power handling' of 700W where as the A900 (closed) has 2000W of 'power handling'. What does this mean? Does it mean the A900 can go louder? =S

3. Do you have any other recommendations from Beyerdynamics, Sennheiser, etc that are directly comparable to these models? Comparable in sound quality, sound stage, bass performance etc and price?

4. I was originally going to grab a set of HD650s, DT990s or K702s, but I've been told that the STX (despite stating having the ability to power up to 600ohms cans), just won't deliver the full potential of these cans. Therefore the premium price you pay for these won't be worth it unless you look into can amps. Is this true?

I would not suggest either of these headphones for your likes. It's true, an STX will NOT power a 600 ohm properly, I have personal experience with it. In fact, it doesn't even do a half decent job. You're in a little bit of a tough spot, as most cans with good bass are closed, whereas for gaming you'll want an open headphone as generally they provide a larger soundstage. Also if you're wanting to use on public transport you will want closed headphones as not to annoy the people around you. I suggest maybe looking at some Ultrasones. The PRO 900s. They are closed, pretty portable, can be used relatively well without an amp and, FWIR, are decent for gaming with a good sound stage.

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the prompt reply guys, very much appreciated. 

I guess the A900s are my best bet. I was interested in the DT880s (32 ohm), but they are fairly dear here in Australia. Someone can probably get them cheaper, but the DT880s usually go around for $500AUD, and thats practically $498USD with the current exchange rates. I'm aware there is the eBay alternative, but I'm a little bit weary of the number of fakes people are talking about, especially the masses coming from China and Taiwan AFAIK.

Here in Sydney, I can grab the A900s for a mere ~$250USD, shipping included. And I guess they deliver to my needs the most. Unless someone knows anywhere cheaper to source them -- yes I'm talking to fellow Aussies in the Head-Fi forums.

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 10
ah, sorry for incomplete answer above 
tongue.gif

I've tried ATH - A950Ltd, and I think that really suits your music. Never heard A900 though.

Other option, you can look at Shure SRH750DJ, it sound nice actually, but comfort wise, it's nowhere near A950Ltd.

I read that you also will use it for portable with your iphone, how about a portable headphone then? Sennheiser HD-25 II is really good for hip hop and rnb, though for trance it can't deliver 3D staging like what A950Ltd did, but if we talk about portability, HD25-II is a winner for sure.

Oct 24, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for that. I think I might just the A900s then. 

Can anyone answer this:

1. The AD900 (open) only has a 'power handling' of 700W where as the A900 (closed) has 2000W of 'power handling'. What does this mean? Does it mean the A900 can go louder? =S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back