I Need A Semi-Portable Setup, Boombox-esque? ~$300 Budget
Jun 26, 2010 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Stn.

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking for a fairly portable setup to play MP3 files, CDs are a plus but not required. This will be moved room to room so should be fairly portable.

I'm not to sure exactly what kind of system/setup this should be. I remember seeing boomboxes with USB input to play music off of USB drives, MP3 Players and iPods. I'm not sure if that would limit the amount of formats able to be played though (I only have .mp3 anyways, ranging from 192kbps to 320).

Requirements
- Semi-Portable (Not take up a lot of space)
- Able to play iPod + Misc. MP3 players, ability to connect an external HDD would be awesome.

If there is anything able to stream music from a PC that would be cool, but not a requirement. A CD player is also nice, but not a requirement.

Budget = ~$300 CAD.

I'm thinking something like a boombox stereo would do the job, however I really have no idea. Any help is appreciated.

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 6
JVC "Kaboom"  this is great device!You can find it on Amazon.It is made in form of tube with side firing woofers.Old models had cassette and CD players;new models have USB host and
i-pod dock and CD player.Kaboom looks very impressive,but not everybody likes its bazooka shape.It comes with remote and strong carry-strap;it can be powered by AC,batteries or car.
Sound is powerfull with good bass.

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
JVC "Kaboom"  this is great device!You can find it on Amazon.It is made in form of tube with side firing woofers.Old models had cassette and CD players;new models have USB host and
i-pod dock and CD player.Kaboom looks very impressive,but not everybody likes its bazooka shape.It comes with remote and strong carry-strap;it can be powered by AC,batteries or car.
Sound is powerfull with good bass.

Feature wise that looks like it has everything, but lowest I can find it is $350CAD and I'd still like an external hard drive after that cost to connect to it.

Great find, but a little above the budget.

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 6
I own previous,old model of JVC Kaboo;it doesnt have USB.So,I dont know what you can connect to USB now,only pen drive?no HDD?But I can recommend you something else,I also own it.It is a sort of powered loudspeaker.In USA they sell it in two shapes: one looks like pig,another looks like panda.It doesnt run on batteries, only - seperate power adapter or from car socket.This thing is in one piece, containing woofer and 2x2=4 left and right speakers and amplifiers all in quite small ball.It is small but quite heavy.Sound is great with good bass.
As an input you have - analog socket and memory card SD slot and USB;in another model - i-pod dock as well.Unfortunately - I do not remember manufacturer name;it is China production
marketed under few different names.In US it is about 120$.It is easy to spot it in shops because of unusual shape and bright colours.Perfect semiportable speaker for DAP;I travel a lot
and I carry it in my suitcase.Try to google "piggy speakers" - may be you will find it.

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 6
How about Audioengine A2's or M-Audio Studiophile AV 40's?  Both are popular powered computer monitors, and the AV 40's are a particularly good value.  Combine them with a portable USB DAC like the uDAC and you'll have an excellent portable system for under $300.  They can take a normal line-in, so any CD player, iPod, etc. will work with them.

This wouldn't be as convenient as a boombox or all-in-one media player thing, but I can pretty much guarantee that it will sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back