I need a replacement for my Nationite S:Flo 2
Sep 24, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #17 of 39
I disagree. SQ-wise the S:Flo2 is still superior. Only true upgrade would be either iMOD, DIYMOD, HM-801 or HM-602. Sony X1050 sounds great as well but doesn't support FLAC. 

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #18 of 39

Quote:
I disagree. SQ-wise the S:Flo2 is still superior. Only true upgrade would be either iMOD, DIYMOD, HM-801 or HM-602. Sony X1050 sounds great as well but doesn't support FLAC. 

Most of those are beyond his budget. Also, I'm not sure how good the S:Flo2 sounds but even assuming it is better, a rb fuze or ipod pretty much covers the rest of his requirements, where options such as the hifiman players don't. The sony x1050 would be okay too except for the flac problem you mentioned, and that transfer rate is really slow.

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #19 of 39
both are pretty good, but where the Fuze can sound grainy (and hiss more), the S:Flo is smooth and relatively quiet. Also, the S:Flo has MUCH better stereo imaging - at least as it concerns keeping up the original image. Some people may like the blobbier presentation of the Fuze though. 

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #20 of 39
I don't see how a DIYmod would be a step up from the S:Flo 2.
Doesn't the S:Flo 2 have a better DAC section?
I'm considering a J3 now though..it's 32gb with a microSD slot, I found em on AMP3 and they're cheaper than I thought. 16gb is within my budget and it's just 20% more for 32gb so it's probz worthwhile.

And then it's on eBay for £210 shipped from some seller with (100% positive) 8340 feedback which I guess makes em a reliable seller and only 5% over budget which I can allow
smily_headphones1.gif

This might be the best option for me right now.
rolleyes.gif

Still until then I gotta figure out how to install these drivers.

Sep 25, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #21 of 39
I've found drive sort on the other MP4 nation thread suggested here (thanks) and turned off menu animations and the unlock slider (which was a great inconvenience to me).
Assuming drive sort works, most issues are solved other than capacity.
Time to save for a J3, to double the capacity (I have a 16GB micro SD in this S:Flo 2).

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #22 of 39
DriveSort works but make sure you still have your sflo set to "align by time", how are your song file names labeled I use "01 - Song Name" which media monkey can do in a single click not sure if it makes a difference but all my songs are in order in directory browsing as well

BTW the DiveSort site is here

http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort.php

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #23 of 39

You're better off with the J3, go for it.  You're giving up on SQ but the Cowon's interface is pretty slick, I'd say it's better than the Flo in every area but SQ supposedly.   

Let us know if you miss the Flo's SQ.

I picked up a used S9 on the FS forum for about 85GBP.  If you lurk around a bit, I'm sure you can find one cheap.  

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #24 of 39
Thanks 4Real (I'd found it on an MP4Nation thread someone else linked by luck though
biggrin.gif
, it worked!)

There is an S9 32GB for £188 inc. P+P in the FS section, that's a little far off 90...
I was looking at the J3 (£230) as I assumed it would be better for SQ, considering I paid around £90 for my S:Flo 2, and it and the S9 get good reviews.

As for the iMod/DIYmod, I assumed the S:Flo 2 would be better considering it has dual wolfsons etc.

The iMod and HiFiMANs are over twice my budget as far as I know, and my budget is over twice what I paid for the S:Flo 2. Also, both the DIYmod and iMod would require an amp, putting them further out of my budget

The only suggestion within budget was an iPod Touch, which would not let me use drag-n-drop or FLAC files, and apparently the rockboxed iPod 5G/5.5G sounds better anyway, and I have one of those, but the hard drive is dead.

Do I really have to spend 4x more than I did for the S:Flo 2 to see an improvement in SQ?

I do appreciate the help, but I am honestly puzzled.

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #25 of 39
i had an s:flo2 and my cousin loaned me his s9. in the end i kept the s9. you can check out my mini reviews of the players in this section where i simply list pros and cons.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/cowon-s9-16-gb-video-mp3-player-with-touchscreen-titanium-black

http://www.head-fi.org/products/nationite-s-flo2/reviews

basically, the s:flo2 has atrocious UI, barely 8-10 hrs for flac playback on full charge, and a host of little flaws that I couldn't get over. I sacrificed a little in sq, but the overall experience is much better.

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #26 of 39
Thanks for the help, I've read out your reviews.
It seems that some of the S9's flaws are solved in the J3, so at the moment this seems the best option.

My only question at this point is: What does the J3 have in terms of a line-out?

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #28 of 39
Thanks for the heads up.

The one part I don't understand is the S:Flo 2 letting you charge it, and mount micro SD cards to a computer (so it's already interfacing with the computer), and then not letting you use it as a USB DAC.

So on one hand S:Flo 2 SQ>J3 SQ (so S:Flo 2 + amp SQ >> J3 SQ).
On the other hand, my S:Flo 2 max capacity = 8GB + 32GB Micro SD = 40 GB. J3 max capacity = 32GB + 32GB = 64GB

I guess in the end it's better SQ + potential amp vs max capacity + interface + better touch screen.

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #29 of 39
my T51 is pretty cool. I am not bothered by the lag. I feel like my Ipod Video 5.5 running rockbox lags even more, so I have gotten used to slow UI's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back