I miss "albums"... You know, this thing that had 30 to 50 minutes of music that you played from start to finish... What are some of your best sounding favorites?
Jul 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #31 of 69
Any of the Black Mages albums make the list. All fantastic.

Quote:

The fact that this is on your list is just too awesome. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Lots of other amazing albums as well!

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #32 of 69
These Hopeful Machines is 12 tracks and 2 hours. It's technically a side A side B album, but I can't listen to just one.

Quote:
Pffft. I was planning of having it on in the background to reading a book.
If I like it, I'll be sure to later. I've only listened to Day for Night so far, and I have no idea whether I'll like it.
Edit:
WOW. It's 2 hours.

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #33 of 69
I don't go to parties and I definitely don't host parties at my house. If I have friends over and we listen to music, we actually listen to the music and discuss it afterwards.

I like parties where there's wild music and even wilder chicks. We don't discuss afterwards either!

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #35 of 69
Man does not live y classical alone! Gotta have a little dirty blues too!

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #37 of 69
Quote:
I like parties where there's wild music and even wilder chicks. We don't discuss afterwards either!

When I hear the words wild music I immediately think of free jazz. I don't think that words exist that can describe free jazz so there would be no need to discuss anything afterwards.

Wild parties aside, I actually have two more great albums that I can recommend. The first one is Minimum-Maximum by Kraftwerk. It's a live album with excellent sound quality and superb performances.

The second album is Lost Heroes by Iiro Rantala. It's a solo piano record dedicated to the people who have been a great influence on Iiro both as a pianist and as a musician, but have sadly passed away. He has posted two videos on YouTube which show him playing two of the songs in the studio so I've embedded them below. If someone is interested in the CD, both Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com seem to have it in stock. Those who would be completely content with lossy files also have option to buy it from either iTunes or AmazonMP3. Hope I don't sound too much like a salesman; just trying to save people who might be interested the effort of finding this stuff out on their own.

Edit
Someone has apparently uploaded the entire Minimum-Maximum concert to YouTube so those who haven't seen it, and miraculously happen to have two hours of free time on their hands, can witness some of the innovators of electronic music still at the top of their game.

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #38 of 69
Free jazz would definitely be lousy party music! Party music is jump blues / early r&b... Willis Gatortail Jackson, Roy Brown, Louis Jordan, Big Jay McNeeley, Wynonie Harris, etc. this is the stuff that was the ground zero point for rock n roll. Screamin' sax solos. Dirty guitar riffs. Good time music. You put that on and the girls will get up and dance. Guar-an-teed, my man!

Put on Kraftwerk or piano tributes to dead people at a party and you'll get to spend your life as a eunich!

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #39 of 69
Quote:
I'm not that old and I miss the concept of playing a record, or an album, from start all the way to the finish. Not the new pop stuff that has one or two tracks produced by some overpaid individual. 

There are literally thousands of albums these days that are worth listening to all the way through. Looks like you just haven't found any yet.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #41 of 69
Quote:

Hence the point of me starting this thread.

Right. Here's something I've really been enjoying. It came out earlier this year. It's Portico Quartet's self-titled album.

Here are a few more from 2012
Toe - The Future Is Now EP
Moonface with Siinai - Heartbreaking Bravery
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #45 of 69
I still listen to albums, and recently I went back to listening to my Aiwa PCDP. I was never a real fan of the concept of 'shuffle' - it's okay sometimes but it always feels as if you're interrupting a story. When listening to an album, track after track, it's a story being told IMO and I find it very comforting. No need to constantly change songs - just listen all the way through. Currently listening to Norah Jones' The Fall album and it sounds sublime.

Nice thread.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back