I miss "albums"... You know, this thing that had 30 to 50 minutes of music that you played from start to finish... What are some of your best sounding favorites?
Jul 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

AaronAnderson

New Head-Fier
I'm not that old and I miss the concept of playing a record, or an album, from start all the way to the finish. Not the new pop stuff that has one or two tracks produced by some overpaid individual. 

What are some of your favorite (and best sounding) albums you like to listen to? 

I'll start: 
  1. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
  2. Alice In Chains - MTV Unplugged
  3. Apocalyptica - Inquisition Symphony
  4. Cake - Fashion Nugget

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 69
BT - This Binary Universe
BT - These Hopeful Machines
BT - If the Stars are Eternal so are You and I
BT - Morceau Subrosa
Dub FX & Sirius - A Crossworlds
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I - IV
Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo OST
The Who - Quadrophenia
The Who - Tommy
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness
RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magick
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder
Crystal Method - Vegas

To name my favorites at least. :D A lot of these are continuous albums and should only be listened to all the way through (all the way up to Tommy), but the others are some that I pretty much sit down for an entire listen through.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 69
I think a lot of audiophiles do in fact listen to albums all the way through. I definitely judge music based on the album in it's entirety, it's the best way to experience the artist's music IMO. It only takes a few bad tracks in an otherwise good album to turn me off.

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 69
For the first half century of recorded music, there really were no albums. There is no reason songs have to be assembled into album length chunks.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 69
I like albums when there is a cohesive theme to the music and it is all high quality. Too often though there are 1-3 good tracks on an album and the rest is filler. Lately I have been buying many best of CDs. Due to the use of so much filler, so many people are buying just 1-3 songs from an album rather than the whole album. This year for the first time revenue from online music will exceed that from CD sales. Online music purchases are mostly individual songs and not albums. I think something like 3/4 of online music sold in dollars is for individual songs. I guess this may also be the case since if someone wants the full album, they will probably buy the CD. Since many are now typically buying just the best 1-3 songs on an album rather than the whole album, industry revenue has been decreasing. I buy all my music on CD. It seems like there are an increasing number of best of CDs, especially lower priced ones.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 69
Quote:
 Too often though there are 1-3 good tracks on an album and the rest is filler.

This is why the music industry hated (hates?) iTunes so much. It allowed you and me to go buy the one good track for 99 cents, instead of buying a 15 or 18 dollar CD. 
gs1000.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #7 of 69
I'm not sure what the intention of this thread was meant to be, waxing nostalgic for analog...or a what do you like to listen to thread. Anyway that said technology, PMP's like the ipod or Clip, and a set of headphones have certainly changed the old rituals for new ones, but good music is still good music, and corporate crap is still corporate crap.

Check this thread out...New Releases 2012 - No Records Released Before 2012

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 69
independently if at home or at the go , i always listen to "albums" and not to "singles" songs, don`t know why, but this is the way i do since i discovered the joy of music ,more or less 15 years ago when i was 13 years old.
To me ,personally ,find to listen to a whole album more a morally way to enjoy properly music than shuffling ,and i am not consider myself an audiophile.
Any of Pink Floyd Albums
Any of ACDC albums
Any of the first Bob Dylan Albums
....to many to make a list,maybe some day i do.
Salute

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #10 of 69
"This is why the music industry hated (hates?) iTunes so much. It allowed you and me to go buy the one good track for 99 cents, instead of buying a 15 or 18 dollar CD" I guess some economists should try to calculate the demand elasticity for music. Will people spend more on music if the prices are lower? It made me laugh to see the Beach Boys Good Vibrations(a great song) for sale on Amazon for just 25 cents. I hope more old music will be priced this low. What might be happening though with low prices on old music and high prices on new music is consumers buying much more old music and less new music, especially when it comes to CDs. There are some CDs I am interested in that are $13+, however I am avoiding most of them for now and instead buying the older albums and best of CDs that are $5-7 each. Some older albums are expensive, while many others are cheap. If there is a great album from the 70s, at which retail price will the music label's profits be maximized? $5? $7? $10? Over $10? I think some music labels are finally starting to realize that profits may be maximized having the CD retail for $7 or perhaps even $5. I went through a long period of buying very few CDs when all the discs I was interested in were $10+. Now that many are $5-7, I have been buying many more. So yes, for me having lower prices on CDs is getting me to spend more money on music.

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 69
Quote:

Excellent sounding "albums" or "records" that are good to listen to the entire way through. 

Neil Young ~ Harvest
Bob Dylan ~ Blood On The Tracks
Pink Floyd ~ Wish You Were Here
Allman Brothers ~ Where It All Begins
Joe Bonamassa ~ Live From Nowhere in Particular
Ronnie Earl ~ Hope Radio
Roy Orbison ~ Mystery Girl
SRV ~ Texas Flood
Tom Petty ~ Into The Great Wide Open
The Traveling Wilburys ~ Vol. 1
Gandalf Murphy & The Slambovian Circus of Dreams ~ The Great Unravel
Mark Knopfler ~ Sailing to Philadelphia
Van Morrison ~ Moondance
The Beatles ~ Abbey Road

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 69
My favorite album ever is Snow by Spock's Beard.

Been a while since I listened to that band. I guess I'll listen to it after this album.

[rule]

I personally actually hate listening to individual tracks, and I very rarely do it. It may be slightly obsessive behavior, but that does not take away the fact that I dislike not listening to entire albums.
This is one of the reasons I have a lot of trouble getting into genres such as Vocaloid, since it has a surprising lack of complete or well put together albums.

Some of my absolute favorites would be:
King Crimson - Islands
King Crimson - Lizard
Tokyo Jihen - Variety (this album is surprisingly well put together)
KMFDM - Angst
Gorillaz - Self Titled (something about this album makes it the best thing ever, but I have never been able to put my finger on it)
The Beatles - Abbey Road (not my favorite Beatles album, but it does have the best compilation)

There are many others, but I really think these are my all time favorites, especially if you go buy composition.

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #15 of 69
If you listen to it, make sure you know what's happening in the story, otherwise you won't get the full effect. :)

Pffft. I was planning of having it on in the background to reading a book.
If I like it, I'll be sure to later. I've only listened to Day for Night so far, and I have no idea whether I'll like it.

Edit:
WOW. It's 2 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back