I love the design of the Beats Mixrs, but absolutely hate the image Beats have, any advice?
Oct 2, 2012 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jekyll919

New Head-Fier
Hi, 

This is my first post, so please don't rage on me too hard. I'm still new to quality headphones =P.

I'm looking to upgrade from my SOL Republic Tracks. I've had them about a year, and personally think they're great. However, I'm looking for a step up in sound quality. To be honest, I enjoy quality sound, but also prefer my headphones to be stylishly designed, and that's where the Beats Mixrs come in. I'm in love with their aesthetic appearance, but not the over-hyped, poorly tuned sound they produce, or the image associated with the people who wear them. I don't want that image. However, I am looking for something that swivels similar to the Mixrs, and has a one-sided cable, in the sub-$250 price range. If anyone can recommend ANYTHING similar, I would be deeply appreciative.

Thanks in advance, and if nobody knows of anything, can somebody steer me towards something stylish, but at least has the cable limited to one side?

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 17
I did a quick search and found a set of cans listed under the thread "The Basshead Club". They're called the Reloop RHP-20s. They seem to fit what I'm looking for. Anybody have a pair?

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:
Mixrs are nice phones with good SQ just a bit pricey. There at least in the same league as the m50.

tongue.gif

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 17
mixers would cause me to lose circulation in my ear and cause me to have them needed to be amputated
angry_face.gif

they clamp so TIGHT! almost like having 2 kg weights pressed on your ear sideways, and wearing glasses..... bad, simply bad
5 seconds and i had to rip them off

maybe you can try the audio technica M50, or the.... sony XB800....?
you can have a Noontec Zoro as well, it got nice reviews in several places 

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
mixrs are not that bad, just need an ok amp.
the Sennheiser hd-25 or v-moda m80 might be better options though

ever since when do beats need amps....?

and yeah the M80 and M50 and HD25-II are good choices

Oct 3, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 17
I appreciate the suggestions guys. I'm thinking I didn't assert myself enough 
tongue.gif
 I absolutely HATE the image that Beats have created. I've listened to ATH-M50s, and I know they're a commonly suggested entry-level audiophile headset, but I'm looking for something designed like Mixrs. I've looked into the Noontec Zoros, and I like them and all, but I wanted something a little more "swively" like the Mixrs. I wasn't saying at all that I had the intention of buying them. 

So...does anybody have any suggestions? Like I said earlier, I happened upon the Reloop RHP-20s, but I'm not sure about them. Would they be good for playing from a phone (which, by coincidence, have the Beats EQ built in)?

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 17
How about the Beyerdynamic Custom One? I just tried these yesterday and today again and WOW I'm convinced! Selling my HD-25-1-ii only because these will be a much better portable option (I dislike Supra-Aural designs...)

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 17
The new Sony MDR1 looks a little like it, its gonna be a little over budget at $300 street when it first comes out but that will probably drop a little.

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
How about the Beyerdynamic Custom One? I just tried these yesterday and today again and WOW I'm convinced! Selling my HD-25-1-ii only because these will be a much better portable option (I dislike Supra-Aural designs...)

Dang, how do they compare sonically? I enjoy the hell out of my HD25s, so I'm curious if you consider the Custom One musically superior...

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Dang, how do they compare sonically? I enjoy the hell out of my HD25s, so I'm curious if you consider the Custom One musically superior...

Not superior. I want them because they fit my needs way better. I hate supra aural so I want these for portable use. And I have a hidden guilty pleasure for bass so.. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
mixers would cause me to lose circulation in my ear and cause me to have them needed to be amputated
angry_face.gif

they clamp so TIGHT! almost like having 2 kg weights pressed on your ear sideways, and wearing glasses..... bad, simply bad
5 seconds and i had to rip them off

maybe you can try the audio technica M50, or the.... sony XB800....?
you can have a Noontec Zoro as well, it got nice reviews in several places 

Funny cause Beats make me want to amputate my whole head with a high powered rifle.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #13 of 17
also note that the padding on the mixrs are so soft..... that you don't feel the padding anymore, you only feel the hard plastic underneeth, pressing against your ear that is being squashed by the frame of your glasses

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 17
Beats image are not actually that bad in my opinion. They are just overpriced in sound quality but when you think about design and other factors they aren't that bad. You are not just buying sound quality with beats. You are buyin design, noise cancellation, and looking cool when you are with the right group of people.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 17
unfortunately they cause a lot of people to buy them because they apparently sound good, that's what he said! (dr.dre) they are the ones being victimised, those buying them for looks are ok, though still spending too much on overpriced stuff (not that they look good in my eyes as well)
and being advertised as a standard studio monitor, lies, their studio's noise cancellation is also rubbish, feels like you are in an overcompressed aircraft cabin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back