I love the cold weather. You too?
Feb 1, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #32 of 43
I grew up near the desert, and so I got really tired of heat (100f+ for thirty days straight or more). It was -5f when I woke up this morning, and now I think it's positively springlike at 21f. It isn't really cold to me unless it goes below zero. 0-20 just feels crisp. I like it.

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll take rain over extreme cold any day - I loved living in west of the Cascades in Oregon. Never gets that cold and it is wet enough for everything to be green and lush.

High temperatures don't bother me, either. I actually prefer Arizona in the summer, when the heat runs off all the snowbirds and tourists. The evenings are sublime. You can hang all night next to a pool. It'll still be 85 out and the pool will be as warm if not warmer. It makes up for the blowtorch hot daytime.

A big X2. I lived in Phoenix in the mid 1990s and loved swimming in my pool when the 10pm news came on. The first year we were there, we landscaped our yard (rocks, cactus, Ocotillo, mesquite trees, etc.) in 115F heat. Loved it!!!

Oh...and to me there is nothing...NOTHING...that recharges and brings you closer to nature like an evening rain in the desert.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #35 of 43
I'm not a fan of the cold. My folks live in Michigan and it sucks. Not just the cold, but the short days and grey skies, very depressing. I prefer 80+ degrees and 98% humidity. Although, I think I may prefer freezing to death opposed to being consumed in a fire but really its like six of one, half a dozen of the other IMO.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #36 of 43
I love it when people from around Jersey think they know what cold is.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Industrial /img/forum/go_quote.gif
7f?! Cold? I could walk in that with my jacket open
smily_headphones1.gif

I was walking in -25f weather a few days ago wind so hard it was actually pushing me sideways (Im pretty fit and heavy). Luckily my boots are rated for -40c and combination of leather jacket/hoodie actually works well. Its all about what your used to a I guess...

Wow it struck me that you have exactly the same solution to winter gear as me! I too wear my hoodie+leather jacket in the coldest of the cold.

I LOVE cold winters. Mine has been kinda disappointing so far. Far too warm. I wish I lived farther north to get even colder winter.

I've far prefer bitter cold and windy than 35F-ish and rainy.

Krmathis: I'll trade you, I think Oslo would be a pretty awesome place to live.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #38 of 43
I live where I do for a reason.I hate the Cold.

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Mean Max. °C 30.1 29.9 29.1 27.3 24.6 22.6 22.0 23.2 25.3 26.8 28.2 29.3
Mean Min. °C 21.3 21.3 19.9 17.5 14.2 11.5 10.2 10.8 13.6 16.5 18.8 20.4
Mean Rain mm 171.9 153.0 102.7 58.9 69.1 50.5 41.9 34.1 36.1 73.8 88.6 123.2

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #39 of 43
I absolutely dread the cold, i am virtually in hatred for it. All i know is I would pick the hot over the cold any day.

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I absolutely dread the cold, i am virtually in hatred for it. All i know is I would pick the hot over the cold any day.

One of our tenants in Arizona moved there from some upper midwest state (can't remember which) and I asked him how he liked the heat instead of the cold. He said, "you don't have to shovel air conditioning."

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #41 of 43
I lived in South Florida for 10 years and hated it. The heat and humidity were stifling. Yesterday, here in Philly, it was 19 degrees I was out doing things in jeans a T-shirt and a hat.I was fine. I have sweat in the 30s outside. Anything above 70 gets to be almost unbearable to me. Even though wind has an effect, I can put on a light jacket and gloves (Mechanic's) and be fine.

I'm a winter.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #42 of 43
I'm definitely a cold weather person. Now the -40C or -50C (almost the same in Farenheit) can get a little much when you have to wait for a bus but I'll take it over +30 anytime.

If you're cold you can always put more/heavier clothes on, but when I'm too hot there's a limit to how much I can take off!
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of our tenants in Arizona moved there from some upper midwest state (can't remember which) and I asked him how he liked the heat instead of the cold. He said, "you don't have to shovel air conditioning."

Amen to that. I spent 3 months in Vietnam last summer, it was as hot as it got over there, i can't recall ever dreading the hot weather. I am more than positive i'm moving to someplace without white falling from the sky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back