I LOVE my new macbook pro
Aug 28, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #17 of 52
I dont really care about pc vs mac, but its just that apple is just so much more conscious and caring about accessibility where microsoft only does the bare, bare minimum. With apple it is also a lot easier for developers to make their own software accessible because apple includes the neccessary resources and there is only one screenreader which is built-in to the operating system so developers can actually try if their stuff is working for blind people since the speechs synth too is included and although obviously braille displays are not they do just work the same as speech so its no problem.
I dont use spaces myself since its rather visual but everything works great. Mine comes with the matte display.
I also like the fact that you can order over the phone (there is an apple store nearby but i decided to buy from the apple store).
Greetings, Anouk,

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #19 of 52
Congrats on your mac. I've played a great deal with the voice over before, and it is pretty impressive. What I couldn't get to work properly though, was to speak commands. Probably a pronunciation issue. My 15'' mbp will be two years old this december, I think I will buy a new battery soon, but other than that, running it with a 23'' monitor, I can't really ask for more.

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #20 of 52
Hello, hmm i have no problems with alex pronouncing commands. The funny thing is that i now like using speech while under windows i was a die hard braille only user with no speech ever. also the good thing about mac software is that it is in general less expensive then its windows alternatives, separate speech synthesizers for languages other then english for example are much cheaper to buy on the mac side.
Apple also has a very comprehensive guide to voiceover on their apple accessibility website.
Greetings, Anouk,

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #23 of 52
I'll add to the list of people who love their Macbook Pros. I have the model from early last year and thoroughly love it. On the topic of shutting it down for the night, I do that, and it wakes itself up (from a complete shutdown state, mind you) as an alarm clock. So sweet! The program that does that is called "Aurora".

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #24 of 52
For reference I did snow leopard cleanly today.

Pop in snowleopard disk, restart and boot off disk, erase partition with disk utility. Install Snow Leopard.

Then insert your laptops OSX disk 1 (that it came with) (have disk 2 ready) and there is an option for "optional installs" click that and find the installer for bundled software only, shortly later it will have you put in disk 2 so it can continue the ilife install.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #25 of 52
Congrats on the purchase
smily_headphones1.gif
I have a Black MacBook (Late 2007, 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD) I'm feeling so out of date with all these changes.
redface.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #26 of 52
I'll be heading over to the Apple Store for a copy of Snow Leopard today. If anyone out there can get to an Apple Store today, there's usually swag. I got a t-shirt when I picked up 10.5.

And a new MacBook is soooooo tempting. My 13" MacBook hasn't let me down for a second in almost three years. I leave it on 24/7 and have only shut down or rebooted along with updates or plane travel. But it only holds 2GB of RAM and am struggling to keep free space on the 80GB drive. Another 13" would be great, but the 15" is tempting. I might hold off until January, though, because there should be some nice revisions then.

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #27 of 52
Congratulations. One way to reduce heat is to use a laptop stand, they are great.
I am using a USB fan driven stand by Cooler Master called Notepal, it's great.
There are a lot of different ones.

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #28 of 52
My Powerbook G4 15" is still running strong. You will be able to use your MBP longer than 3 years!

Aug 28, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #29 of 52
I picked up 10.6 and am very happy, the machine does seem quicker and I am anxious to try out the Grand Central Dispatch feature for coding.

It's both good and bad that their dumping their legacy code, oh well progress is good but my PowerMac G5 won't be pleased. I'll just run 10.5 server and be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back