I LOVE my new macbook pro
Aug 27, 2009 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Anouk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello, i ordered it last week and it arrived yesterday. This is my first experience with a mac of any kind. I ordered it because I had heard great things about apples built-in accessibility for visually impaired people and i must agree, it is the best there is. Linux and windows cant touch it. There are third party programs for windows like window eyes or jaws but they are VERY expensive to buy. Appes solution is built-in and very well integrated with the rest of the os.
I was amazed, i turned my mac on for the first time and I was immediately able to completely use it without sighted assistance whatsoever.
Even the speakers are ok, which i cannot say for my last laptop.
The only thing i need now are mini-tosslink adapters because I wan tto use my symphony with my mac and 2 usb ports is its only downside (the macs).
Oh yes, since voicover is built into all macs that run tiger or leopard everyone can try it, and since its part of the system no fear of changing your other settings, just press command-f5 to sstart it and toy aroudn with it, to stop it press command-f5 again.
Greetings, Anouk,

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 52
Which one did you get? I love my new 13" PB (Powerbook.. yeah, I call macbook pros "Powerbooks"... why is everyone looking at me funny?). The aluminum body is nice and sturdy, the keyboard lights up and plus I just love OS-X. Battery life is quite nice, but doing certain things brings that down real quick. IE, don't expect to play the Sims for more than an hour and a half on battery.

In any case, I'm glad you like your new mac.
smily_headphones1.gif
Are you upgrading to Snow Leopard when it comes out?

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 52
Hello, i have the top 15 inch model. Its probbably too much for me but I am planning to keep this machine for 3 years at least. I dont have apple care yet but I am planning to get it eventually. I am planning to get snow leopard, i will call apple tomorrow. The fantastic thing is that even the installation of the operation system is accessible, you dont get htat with windows.
The laptop DOES get rather warm though, i dont leave it on if i am not using it.
Greetings, Anouk,

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 52
Congrats. I've had macbook pros (second one now) for years. I'm horrible with taking care of them: drop them, never turn them off, drop crumbs and other spillage on the keyboard, let cats snooze on them, drag them around without a case, and basically beat the crap outta them. I've never had a problem (well, the trackpad needed to be replaced, which a friend did for me in minutes). Love my mackbook.

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 52
Well, I don't recommend it, and it's never planned, but I gotta say that they're pretty tough considering the abuse I've put mine through. When I get my next one, I'll take better care of it. Some of the letters and silver color are already worn off the keyboard, and the latch won't close (I turn it upside down to turn it off), but I've never had a problem with it running as it should.

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 52
Congratulations!
The MacBook Pro is ace. I have a 2 year old 15" one myself and am very well pleased. Although I am on my third battery, as the two prior ones lost 50% of their capacity. Apart from that it just runs and runs...

Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 52
my dells battery is shot, drains in 30mins, its just batteries and hi power laptops i guess, too expensive for me!

i find generally expensive laptops handle dropages well, my xps certainly proved its self one time!!

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, i have the top 15 inch model. Its probbably too much for me but I am planning to keep this machine for 3 years at least. I dont have apple care yet but I am planning to get it eventually. I am planning to get snow leopard, i will call apple tomorrow. The fantastic thing is that even the installation of the operation system is accessible, you dont get htat with windows.
The laptop DOES get rather warm though, i dont leave it on if i am not using it.
Greetings, Anouk,

Don't bother shutting it down, just closing the lid puts it to sleep. It doesn't generate any heat or use much battery at all and coming out of sleep is flawless and takes only like 2 seconds. Little things like this are why I shell out the extra for a mac.

I do shut mine down each night, though, and don't turn it on most days until I get home from work.

EDIT: I've taken to actually using Spaces. When you've got several programs open at once on a tiny 13" screen, it's kinda handy to give Firefox and iTunes their own space, while I've set it to have Finder open on all simultaneously for file browsing.

Also, these new single-surface glass touchpads are pretty awesome. Four-finger gestures to bring up the desktop or see Expose are quite handy.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't bother shutting it down, just closing the lid puts it to sleep. It doesn't generate any heat or use much battery at all and coming out of sleep is flawless and takes only like 2 seconds. Little things like this are why I shell out the extra for a mac.

My Acer Aspire 3680 with Xp runs similarly fast, but I got in there and disabled all kinds of stuff in Services and dumped extraneous Acer drivers that Xp supports by itself. Truth be told, I backed up the Vista installation it came with and did a clean install of XP Home OEM.

To me the issue isn't PC vs Mac per se, but custom builds vs off the shelf. I never cease to be amazed by people who constantly use drop down menus when their toolbars are cluttered with icons they never use. Mac for the win, simply by presenting a slightly better default layout.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #12 of 52
I just bought my third MBP, I had an original 15, a 17 from a year or two later, and I just bought a brand new 15 2.8. I sold my original 15 and I can't carry around my 17 for University so I just *had* to upgrade.

Aug 28, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #15 of 52
I switched about 8 months ago. Really happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back