I love minidisc - is that weird?
May 22, 2009 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 243

beeman

Head-Fier
hi. i love my mindisc player - its an old sony net md. i also have a few mp3 players. but i find myself usinig the minidisc more often. i like it fo one main reason and its NOT sound quality. the reason i like minidisc is the same reason that most people don't like it. i like the fact that its not easy to upload or delete music and that you have to store your files on discs that are seperable from your player. i like it because it "feels" like the music is more substancial and less disposable. after having used mp3 players and having had 30gb of my music ready to hand i always find myself switching between tracks and never listening properly. The minidisc makes you liten simply because of its shortcomings. does this make sense?i like the fact that i can only hold 4 albums on one disc because it forces me to listen to those four albums and i find that appreciate music more when its like this. More restaurant then Mcdonaolds if you get my drift.

May 22, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 243
Haha, you can buy a 1 GB walkman for about the price of a box of cornflakes and chance the music manually

But I've got fond memories of my old Sony MD-player; a friendly player with a pleasing sound, mainly due ot its rolled off treble. I had a little leather map that held 5 extra MD's and a spare AA-battery.
And that is what I really miss nowaday; a good DAP working on an AA. too often I forget to switch it off and then the next day in the train I find out the battery is flat. And then what good is high capacity, wifi, noise cancelling, and whatever they shoehorn into these things?

May 22, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, you can buy a 1 GB walkman for about the price of a box of cornflakes and chance the music manually

But I've got fond memories of my old Sony MD-player; a friendly player with a pleasing sound, mainly due ot its rolled off treble. I had a little leather map that held 5 extra MD's and a spare AA-battery.
And that is what I really miss nowaday; a good DAP working on an AA. too often I forget to switch it off and then the next day in the train I find out the battery is flat. And then what good is high capacity, wifi, noise cancelling, and whatever they shoehorn into these things?

true - but i still like the physical apect of the format even though data on the disc is binary just as it is in the DAP, it feels more substanical. perhaps its because i grew up going to music stores and buying cds that i find it difficult to equate a computer file with music.

May 22, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by beeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i like it because it "feels" like the music is more substancial and less disposable. after having used mp3 players and having had 30gb of my music ready to hand i always find myself switching between tracks and never listening properly. The minidisc makes you liten simply because of its shortcomings. does this make sense?i like the fact that i can only hold 4 albums on one disc because it forces me to listen to those four albums and i find that appreciate music more when its like this.

You really should get a turntable. It has all of the same "advantages."
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I picked up some of these APC spare battery thingies at frys for $10 on sale:

Amazon.com: Apc Universal Battery, 10WH: Electronics

Ignore the ridiculous amazon price, it's usually like $15 when I still see it in stores. Anyhoos, it's a great battery and I use it to charge any of my DAPs when they are low. I get 2 extra full charges for my iphone out of one of these as well
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 243
My minidisc will be back in action this summer for some cheap dirty recordings, there's some great free shows here. Ian Hunter and then Superchunk.
last year was bust, but the year before that I got The Hold Steady and Nick Lowe. (along with The Old 97's and Victoria Williams)

May 22, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by zerodeefex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up some of these APC spare battery thingies at frys for $10 on sale:

Amazon.com: Apc Universal Battery, 10WH: Electronics

Ignore the ridiculous amazon price, it's usually like $15 when I still see it in stores. Anyhoos, it's a great battery and I use it to charge any of my DAPs when they are low. I get 2 extra full charges for my iphone out of one of these as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice idea, but I would still get stuck with the special cables; my HTC Pharos phones uses a simple mini USB, but my Sony DAP's...a Sony plug only. I would prefer AA-batteries, but if that is impossble, at least give us mini-USB on every device; after all the batterties all need the same voltage, it can transmit information, so the only reason not to use it is to tie customers to a company standard.

May 22, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 243
Perfectly fine. I'd also suggest getting a really bad headphone, so you have to concentrate on where the good bits are - or should be in the music, gives more appreciation of the composition of a song. Also, a really crappy set of batteries will help you getting proper admiration for a neat LiIon Battery.
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: No, I get what you are saying ... I'm also a really bad zapper.....

May 22, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 243
i love pcdp, is that weird?

May 22, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 243
Too bad transfering music with NET-MD only gives 132kb/s max. Hi-MD or plain 1:1 SP will give better results. I prefer minidisc to my Sony A828 for sound quality, these MD units are bigger than mp3 players, but i think they use better components (DAC's, digital amps).

May 24, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #13 of 243
Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i love pcdp, is that weird?

Me too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it even possible to find minidisc players anymore? Most I see are refurbished/used or very expensive.

May 24, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #14 of 243
It's a shame that the MiniDisc format didn't quite take off in the USA because at the time, I remember buying a Sony NetMD minidisc player and loving the thing. It still works and still gets use every now and then because the sound signature is something I just haven't been able to find anywhere else. I remember looking through all the online sources looking to upgrade to a HiMD player before finally swapping over to SD cars off of my Axim X50... Kinda wish I had bought one of those HiMD players now...

May 24, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 243
I once was a big fan of the MiniDisc and spent gobs of money on the Sony's HiMD's. Loved the sound quality but eventually grew tiresome of what I felt was its inconvenience, so migrated to DAP's. I'll always hold a soft spot in my heart for the format and its inherently good sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back