I love me Xears BUT...
Aug 27, 2011 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

brownandproud

New Head-Fier
Hello headfiers i need a bit of help. I have the n3i after my TD100-iii's broke (which i miss) and the sound is still great, lovely deep bass clear vocals and enough sparkle to keep me entertained but i am sick of using them. Im 6'1'' and the cable isnt even long enough to reach my iphone (4, main music source) in my pocket so i have to hold it in my hand when im walking or just not listening to music. The housings are too large and so pop out of my ear slightly to break the seal (less bass 
basshead.gif
).

Basically i need another pair of iems that have deep bass, clear vocals and sparkle. The sound of the td100-iii but in a durable, well made alternative. I listen to hip-hop, alternative and dubstep with a bit of rock.

I have narrowed my choices to:
Phiaton PS20 £40
Dunu Trident £20   <- current winner
Nuforce ne700x £60
Beyerdynamic dtx 101 ie £70
Klipsch S4 £20
Fischer Audio Silver Buller £45 
ECCI PR401

Build quality and high quality (and quantity!) bass is important and i dont want to downgrade in sound but at the same time i dont want to spend too much :p. Oh and im not a fan of over ear designs and i HATE J CORDS!!!

Which of these would suit me best? and im open to any new suggestions

Thanks

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
Hello headfiers i need a bit of help. I have the n3i after my TD100-iii's broke (which i miss) and the sound is still great, lovely deep bass clear vocals and enough sparkle to keep me entertained but i am sick of using them. Im 6'1'' and the cable isnt even long enough to reach my iphone (4, main music source) in my pocket so i have to hold it in my hand when im walking or just not listening to music. The housings are too large and so pop out of my ear slightly to break the seal (less bass 
basshead.gif
).

Basically i need another pair of iems that have deep bass, clear vocals and sparkle. The sound of the td100-iii but in a durable, well made alternative. I listen to hip-hop, alternative and dubstep with a bit of rock.

I have narrowed my choices to:
Phiaton PS20 £40
Dunu Trident £20   <- current winner
Nuforce ne700x £60
Beyerdynamic dtx 101 ie £70
Klipsch S4 £20
Fischer Audio Silver Buller £45 
ECCI PR401

Build quality and high quality (and quantity!) bass is important and i dont want to downgrade in sound but at the same time i dont want to spend too much :p. Oh and im not a fan of over ear designs and i HATE J CORDS!!!

Which of these would suit me best? and im open to any new suggestions

Thanks

I tried to stress the length the of J-Cord out a lot when talking about the N3i on here.  I didn't talk much though :p  Out of that list, I would have to tell you to go Trident since it is a cheaper 'phone, but produces great sound.  In some ways it's at the level of the Hephaes, but the Hephaes has it beat in some other areas.  However, the price difference doesn't actually cover the sound differences in my opinion.  The Trident is a V-shaped signature though, so if you don't like those, stay away...  They are even deeper than the N3i if I remember correctly. 

OT: I'm 4'11" with shoes off and 5' with shoes on, so the J-cable can't bother me :)  LOL  Just wanted to put it out there, shortness can be a good thing :p  As for just hating J-Cords in general, not all J-Cords are this short.

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply!

I tried to ignore the cord length but it becomes almost unusable for me and its such a shame because the N3i sound awesome!
I think i will go for the tridents but with the V shaped sig i am slightly concerned about too recessed vocals and after using the TD100-iii i do like it to be fairly forward. Would the mids be too recessed?

I dont mind spending a bit more if the sound sig would better suit my taste?

Oh wise ones which of the above would better suit my needs? :p

Thanks again!

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

I tried to ignore the cord length but it becomes almost unusable for me and its such a shame because the N3i sound awesome!
I think i will go for the tridents but with the V shaped sig i am slightly concerned about too recessed vocals and after using the TD100-iii i do like it to be fairly forward. Would the mids be too recessed?

I dont mind spending a bit more if the sound sig would better suit my taste?

Oh wise ones which of the above would better suit my needs? :p

Thanks again!

OK, I don't have the TD100-IIIs, so I can't compare (nor have I heard them :frowning2:).  I do have the N3is and the Tridents on me that I am A-Bing.  If the mids on the N3is are enough for you, you will be fine with the Tridents.  And I was mistaken about the Tridents, they aren't exactly a V-shape signature.  The mids and highs are balanced, but the lows are a little more prominant in the N3i.  The highs on the N3is are also a little more prominent than the Tridents as well.  The mids on the Tridents are actually slightly better with the Tridents than the N3i.  The Tridents overall are more balanced.  When I said slight V, the mids are slightly (ever so slightly) recessed compared to the highs.  The lows take over though (as they also do on the N3i). 

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 7
You could opt for one of these, I use it with my FX500s which have a short cord as well (edit: though not sure where you can these in EU). It's not too long to be bothersome and has great build quality. 

You should also try a deeper insertion so they don't come out of place. Pulling the ear up, while inserting helps a lot. 

Sep 1, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks it looks like im getting a pair of tridents :)

Ive tried deeper insertion but the seal breaks and they pop out. As far as the extension cable goes the top end of the cable annoys me too, the mic snags on my collar, the R part is too long and its too many wrongs for me.

Thanks again!

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 7
I find a few design flaws too. The cable is too short and i am not a tall guy at all. (5'7). 
The mic pulls the earbud off easily. Sound quality is good, but l find the bass to be too much at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back