I like HD600 and K701, had ER4 - What IEM do I buy now?
Oct 2, 2010 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kin0kin

Headphoneus Supremus
Haven't been on head-fi for awhile, in fact I've given up on headphone for awhile but circumstances have changed again and I'm looking to pick up a pair of IEM.

I had the er4p(or s, can't remember) and although I liked it very much bass wasn't quite there. I currently still have my hd600 and while I like it very much I've began to find that it is getting fairly upfront sounding and a little bright. I shouldn't have sold my K701. Anyway, I'm looking for K701's tonal quality on an IEM, or a ksc75-like sound with less treble. What should I be looking at right now? There are a ton of IEMs in the market now that I'm sort of overwhelmed! 

Absolutely no SHURE, don't even ask why. While I like custom fit IEMs but without a chance of listening to them, you can cross all of them out as well. Price is subjective, gimme some suggestions and I'd do my own research on the price range. I see that quite a bit of people like the AT CK10, while I've had w5000 in the past, and had the chance to listen to many pairs of AT phones, they have a very honky mid range that I sort of despise. Let's keep this to the tonal balance of K701/HD600.

Thanks

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 8
I have just got a Westone 2 and have to say to my ears it sounds like an etymotic (hf5,er4s) with more/better bass. It is still a very balanced sound though so if you want bass emphasis i'd look elsewhere. The other one's I considered were the ck10 and the e-q7 but the £100 price difference of the AT and the warranty questions of the orto (coupled with a £50 premium) swayed me.

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 8
To play it safe, I'm gonna pick up a pair of ER4-P first. I was also considering the RE0 as well since it's cheap. Audio Technica has a very odd mid range house sound that I would not buy blindly (anymore) without first having heard it myself. I have never sampled any Westone IEMs so I've got not a single clue how they sound at all. I'm hoping to be able to listen to some of them in a meet.

Bought a sansa clip+ to go jogging with the IEM, this tiny thing is pretty good I must say.

Oct 3, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 8
Lol I was going to suggest the 535s... But no Shure... So maybe the UM3Xs? They have amazing imaging and detail, power and speed. You should definitely read up on them. Oh those and the SM3s. actually, search google for the top tier universal IEM thread floating around here; I think that's what you need.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 8
Just ordered the ER4-P, I will finally repossess it after parting with it for 5 years! Looking to getting ety to custom mold it.

I'll consider the UM3X if I get to sample a pair before pulling the trigger.

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 8

Just ordered the ER4-P, I will finally repossess it after parting with it for 5 years! Looking to getting ety to custom mold it.

I'll consider the UM3X if I get to sample a pair before pulling the trigger.

Very nice, I loved mine when I got them. They are very detailed and have some nice bass. If you want more body and have enough power, you should definitely try the p-s adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back