I left Bay-Bloor Radio feeling very confused (Toronto / HD 650 thread)
Jul 29, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #16 of 20
There's a good chance that the 650's weren't amped well. They need alot more beef to sound good than grados, which sound decent out of a mp3 player.

Whatever you do, don't buy anything from BBR. They're hideously overpriced.

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given the fact that your conditions weren't very good and with all else equal you preferred the Grado sound, consider following that route for a while and coming back to the Sennheiser sound later on and reassess.

Thankfully, I'm not actually planning to upgrade as of yet, so I don't have to make a choice in this state of confusion. However, noting that Grados are said not to need amplification, they weren't hurt by the poor setup. They were also playing louder, and louder is always perceived to be better.

All things considered, though, I'd probably rather get a low-end Grado than a higher-end Sennheiser as my next purchase. Not that I don't like the Sennheiser sound; I simply have the HD 555 already, and an SR60 would probably sound better with some types of music than even an HD600. Different headphones excel in different situations, making it advantageous to have a pair from different headphone families. I'd gain just as much with a cheap Grado than I would with an HD650, in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbadon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever you do, don't buy anything from BBR. They're hideously overpriced.

Are you kidding? I wouldn't even think about buying new!
tongue.gif

Anyway, I'm glad that you are determinate that the problem was a lack of proper amplification, TheMarchingMule. I certainly look forward to hearing the HD650 in a proper setup!

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #19 of 20
Since it was Sennheiser Showroom ...i am unsure of the Amps they were using.

But i found the HD595 sound very Bright & detailed.
They are great for most Genres.

If you are like me who is coming from the world of Sony..then u ll like the interesting presentation of Senn HD595.

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #20 of 20
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but the few times i was at bay bloor radio, i wasn't impressed even by entry levels, I came from cheap speakers, maybe the expectation/enviroment/CD player wasn't ideal, their headphones didn't sound great as I imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back