I just got myself the es7...
Sep 24, 2010 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

soundeffect

1000+ Head-Fier
     After purchasing the es7, I learned that I am a basshead.  At first, I thought that everyone like bass in the beginning and then they have a tendency to move on to something less bassy and neutral.  I'm starting to believe that is not the case for me.

So now I'm asking myself where do I go next?  I love the M50 for it's deep smooth bass. I like my es7 for its punchy portable mid bass although I'm still having problem with the rest of it's perform (I can't really full judge it yet since I only own it for a few hours).  I'm wondering if any one can recommend me something under $200 that has the same type of bass as the es7 that is a full size headphone or portable. doesn't matter.  A bass that is punch, impactful, not slow deep bass, a fun type of headphone. I listen to mostly mainstream hip hop/rap such as lil wayne, usher, beyonce, rhianna, trey song, kanye west, b.o.b. etc but I also listen to other genre like kesha,katy perry, justin derulo, lady gaga etc.

I like the bass in the es7, but I feel the other area are not refine enough. I like the es7 personality being upfront and aggressiveness. if you can put any input that would be great.

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 9
Would you consider saving up a bit more $$$ and going for the ATH-ES10?

I've only heard the es7 briefly but I reckon the es10 is similar enough but improves upon it in every way.

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 9

Would you consider saving up a bit more $$$ and going for the ATH-ES10?

I've only heard the es7 briefly but I reckon the es10 is similar enough but improves upon it in every way.

I second that in every way! I only got mine a little while ago but it's pretty obvious once you put them on.

Good luck with your search.

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 9
wow es10 are like $500 plus, quite a stretch there.  I would go $300 tops and even then I'm not sure if I want to drop that much yet.  Actually I just put the es7 back on today and everything cleared up.  I don't know what happened, but last night I listen to them for a few hours and let them sat over night.  Today I pop them back on and they sound completely different. I guess they needed to stretch?  Whatever, but today they sound clean.  I'm starting to believe in burn in, but for what extend I do not know.  I don't know about people say 300 hrs. burn in, I mean seriously that's just way to long.  I also believe in natural burn in if burn in exist, why rush it when you can keep on enjoying and growing with it.

I change my mind for sure, I'm going to keep the es7 as my collection. I'm still gonna search for a full size can that can punch like these except fuller not deep just fuller and more impactful for being larger.  Plus I'm sure that can be had with a circum. full size since they have better seal.  I heard ultrasone 780 are pretty aggressive or either that the beyers 770/990s.  I need to do more research.  Plus I gotta start thinking about amp. I'm aiming more portable for amp something like a mini^3.

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 9
The Audio-Technica WS70 is another portable can, that's bass heavy and in your price range.  I can comment on it's isolation, but I've read the ear pads are over-ear to some and on-ear to others.  I believe it has stronger bass than the ES7 and ES10 as it's marketed as the first model on the "Solid Bass" line (i think).  It emphasizes some type of technology that uses a separate chamber within the headphone, but it looks like a pretty fun can.  Pretty good looking too
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
     After purchasing the es7, I learned that I am a basshead.  At first, I thought that everyone like bass in the beginning and then they have a tendency to move on to something less bassy and neutral.  I'm starting to believe that is not the case for me.

Believe it or not I've kinda done the same. I think it's because bass heavy cans are more fun over all. Either you get a nice full bodied sound or you get punchy and aggressive, and in both cases I find myself wanting a little more. It's all up to your mood and your genre's aswell I'm not always in the mood to knock fast paced dance music into my ears. I enjoy FLAC's of Mozart and Bach, but I don't like them to sound lifeless and dull. I like to feel them some times aswell, and I really think bass emphasis has provided me with that answer.

In that sense I completely understand what you are talking about, and for now on I'm not going to skimp on my bass unless I am buying cans for a specific reason. f you ask me what I think you should try next would be something like a Denon D2000 or some Berye DT880 for fullsized cans or maybe even an HD 25 -II for a portable.

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Believe it or not I've kinda done the same. I think it's because bass heavy cans are more fun over all. Either you get a nice full bodied sound or you get punchy and aggressive, and in both cases I find myself wanting a little more. It's all up to your mood and your genre's aswell I'm not always in the mood to knock fast paced dance music into my ears. I enjoy FLAC's of Mozart and Bach, but I don't like them to sound lifeless and dull. I like to feel them some times aswell, and I really think bass emphasis has provided me with that answer.

In that sense I completely understand what you are talking about, and for now on I'm not going to skimp on my bass unless I am buying cans for a specific reason. f you ask me what I think you should try next would be something like a Denon D2000 or some Berye DT880 for fullsized cans or maybe even an HD 25 -II for a portable.

wow mozart and bach, I didn't think those require a taste for bass.  I need to check that out.  It took me sometime to realize that I like bass, I went from AD700 and back to realize it.  Yes, you are right "fun" is the key for me.  Yeah I am not always about "knock fast pace" also as you can see on most of my post that my love is still dedicated to the M50.  I'm just on a hunt right now for a matching pair for my M50, a compliment.  The M50's are my night headphones when I am watching movies or just want to relax while surfing the web. 

Yeah, I've been eyeing the hd 25-1 II for a while. I was suppose to purchase the HD, but I opt. out for the es7 since I didn't know the potential of smaller size headphones.  I was afraid they won't cut it, but the es7 prove me wrong so far.  I've been reading and it seem the HD 25 just dances around the es7 in performance wise. 

I thought about the D2000, but I'm not commited to them yet, too many mix reviews.  I can see the beyers, they seem like very solid performer.  Recommendation are everywhere. another mix reviewers are the akg's 701 that I have thought about.

You know, one thing I realize? I don't understand why there are so many headphones that makers just doesn't seem to able to make them look good on the head, but look great in front of you.  Everyone of these headphones I purchase, I get excited to look at them in the mirror. When I do, I started to be like gosh, I can't be seen with these in public. Just plain out silly looking. It doesn't help it that not a lot of people wear them in public beside the IEMs.

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
wow mozart and bach, I didn't think those require a taste for bass.  I need to check that out.  It took me sometime to realize that I like bass, I went from AD700 and back to realize it.  Yes, you are right "fun" is the key for me.  Yeah I am not always about "knock fast pace" also as you can see on most of my post that my love is still dedicated to the M50.  I'm just on a hunt right now for a matching pair for my M50, a compliment.  The M50's are my night headphones when I am watching movies or just want to relax while surfing the web. 

Bach and Mozart honest do not, and being real about it something like AKG 501/601/701 would all be amazing for those, I still feel like I'm missing out when the lower end is lacking. It's like the pillow on top of the beautiful melodies. If the Pillow is flat or not soft I almost always dislike the sound.

And from everything you've posted I'd say Hd25's are the closest things to what you are talking about. They are much more aggressive then the M50's but they are also gentlier then my personal XB500's. When I used them I knew I liked them for what they did, they bridged the gap between the two styles of basshead cans. Shure SRH750dj's are more like my XB500's with how agressive they are and they might  be worth looking at as well.

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #9 of 9
thanks, 

I'll look into it a little more and see what other also think.  Funny you brought up about the xb500 because I have the xb700.  The xb's series are great headphone for how cheap they are.  They are fun in there own way, just pure bass monsters.  The xb700 produces one of the deepest bass I have ever seen and as for the xb500 I heard they pack some punch.  I'm seriously gonna consider the hd25, I'm loving the portability and the lightness.  If I do I'll report and let you know what I think of them. Until then I'm gonna enjoy the es7.  I have to admit, I love audio technica sound signature. they do know what they are doing. I'm sure senn will be great too. I heard senn upper are great. Well only time will tell what my headphone journey be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back