I just bought HD800's but fear that the amp and dac aren't up to task
Oct 10, 2010 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

haveblue

100+ Head-Fier
With a $2000 budget I just bought some used HD800's and Little Dot DAC_I and MKVII+. I'll be running these balanced.

I'm reading that the HD800's are really picky on what's driving them, but also read that what I bought powers them fine. And they should do better than any single-ended combo I could have gotten for $700, right?

Might I get a better sound if I got cheaper phones, such as the HD650, and spent more on the dac and amp, i.e Audio GD Ref-5 and Roc?

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 9
FWIR the headphones are your most important part of the chain to achieving the sound you want. After that is making sure you have an amp that compliments these headphones well and powers them sufficiently, followed then by the DAC. As long as you have sufficient power for the HD800s and enjoy the sound I see no reason to sell all of it and start from scratch. Just my opinion.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 9
Have you tried less expensive combinations? It might be beneficial to try a variety of phones. You really start to realize what that extra $900 dollars actually buys you. If I were you I would run far far away from head-fi and any other place that talks about high-end gear and just try and love what I had. 

If I wanted an inexpensive HD800 setup I would get a Matrix M-stage and the best source I could afford. What you have is alright though. 

Oct 10, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Have you tried less expensive combinations? It might be beneficial to try a variety of phones. You really start to realize what that extra $900 dollars actually buys you. If I were you I would run far far away from head-fi and any other place that talks about high-end gear and just try and love what I had. 

If I wanted an inexpensive HD800 setup I would get a Matrix M-stage and the best source I could afford. What you have is alright though. 

I guess I could say that I dived head first into all this. I used to own Grado 225's and Ultrasone HFI 780's out an iBasso D2 portable dac/amp if that counts. The only thing I have to compare it to now are Westone 3's out of a Cowon S9.

Oct 10, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 9
The real world question is, if you can afford it? If you feel you have sacrificed too much of you life/$ (sounds sorta like you may have), you may consider downsizing. Consider what you like and carefully choose where you sacrifice and remember what you have heard. If you are doing fine financially then I suggest you take my advice and just forget we or anyone who has boo to say about your headphones exists. 

Refocus your efforts on the music. That is what it is all about. 

Sam

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 9
That's certainly powerful enough of a combo for your HD800 to be maxxed out. Enjoy it

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 9
The most important question is: How does the rig sound? Are you enjoying it?

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #8 of 9
the most important thing to remember, is that really only you can tell. your ears are king here. you have to like how it sounds.

if you feel you don't like it, then you can decide to sell or upgrade/downgrade etc.

Oct 10, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #9 of 9
I really don't like the vague questions you are getting about sound etc. Honestly man. If you can afford it - take your setup and leave - stop listening to people for a while.

When you are in a situation like this, just control your mind and go focus on buying new music or something. What you have is a killer setup! But the thing is, I am not jealous or lusting after other mega buck systems because I know that sort of money is not something I can spend.
You my friend need to stop worrying - you have a QUALITY setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA5T8HssuEY

Just relax. Boy raps about books and drinking tea. Dope.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back