I just bought Colorfly C4
Aug 28, 2011 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

icem

New Head-Fier
Hi Everybody

I read this forum since a longtime now and after using a lot of DAP I decided to buy the best in order to avoid to wonder each time "Oh what will be the best song if"

I'm in hong kong for business and bought one if you want the address ask me

the price was HKD4800 which means approximately Eur 480 but for that you have a portable Hi Fi DAC, no need to add an amp or something else

As I have a Sennheiser HD 25-1 II I tested it today.

If you want some details ask me

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 39
Thanks for the pics icem. I will be visiting Hong Kong in a few months and I am wondering where you picked up your colorfly C4. The only place online that I found online that sells them as well as the Hifiman series was Jaben.com.hk. Is this where you picked up yours?

Thanks for your help.

Oct 11, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 39
Is it real or fake wood?

How does it sound compared to an iPod classic?

Oct 11, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 39
I love the look of the c4, i really wanted one but from what i have read it is a very bright player which is not my sound at all. Maybe you could confirm this in a bit more detail?

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 39
Best sound ever

it's real wood, the quality is top but if you are looking for something user friendly this is nt the case this is really for people who like the god sound without all the "cosmetic"

I have an ipod classic, a Cowon S9 and a Sansa Clip that's my benchmark

The sound from the colorfly C4 could not be compared its clearly the best

if you have a good headphone its really good

I have a Senneheiser HD 25-1 II, a Triple Fi 10, Soundmagic PL 50, Sony MDR V6, Koss Porta Pro, Monster Beats by Dre HD and Shure 315 and with all of this headphone the sound is terrific

You can add an Amp if you want but its really not necessary

@noxa the sound is clear but its possible to choose between 6 SQ and mega bass is one of them but the sound is so perfect that I don't need to add anything

This is my point of view, but bear in mind all files tested were in flac or wav

I bought mine in mingo Hong Kong I tested the C4 during 2h before to buy it but it was a good choice

When I use it in the metro with my Triple Fi 10 its like I'm listening an Hi Fi system

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 39
I visited Jaben in Hong Kong and you can buy from this shop which is one of the most trusted Hi Fi shop in Hong Kong

I live in Hong Kong and I advice you to always try the product before paying

Oct 11, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 39

Quote:
I'm in hong kong for business

Quote:
I live in Hong Kong and I advice you to always try the product before paying

I believed that you were in Hong Kong due to business. Are you doing spam for Jaben with your 3 post in the forum?

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 39
i enjoy visiting Jaben HK and can vouch for their quality of customer service. 
both Mingo and Jaben lets you try things out and have a wide range of products each but i personally think Jaben has the edge simply because the customer service is so much better.
My love for headfi sparked again after visiting Jaben LOL (note that it didnt happen from me visiting Mingo a handful of times and buying stuff) 

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #10 of 39

Quote:
i enjoy visiting Jaben HK and can vouch for their quality of customer service. 
both Mingo and Jaben lets you try things out and have a wide range of products each but i personally think Jaben has the edge simply because the customer service is so much better.
My love for headfi sparked again after visiting Jaben LOL (note that it didnt happen from me visiting Mingo a handful of times and buying stuff) 

Great, but 'random' plugs for Jaben doesn't exactly tell us a whole hell of a lot about the Colorfly, does it ? I rechecked the forum, and we definitely arent in the Jaben sponsor forum.

My sole experience with Jaben in Singapore was that they are a high pressure sales outfit - in your neck of the woods, that may very well equate to 'customer service', but to me it felt a lot like the bargain basement experience in places like Pantip Plaza in Bangkok. Granted, they are considerably more approachable than many of the high-end vendors in The Adelphi, but I find it difficult to concentrate with someone literally hovering over me.

(fwiw, I work in retail (consumer electronics), and I know the difference between ignoring customers and giving them room to make a decision).

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 39

Quote:
Great, but 'random' plugs for Jaben doesn't exactly tell us a whole hell of a lot about the Colorfly, does it ? I rechecked the forum, and we definitely arent in the Jaben sponsor forum.

My sole experience with Jaben in Singapore was that they are a high pressure sales outfit - in your neck of the woods, that may very well equate to 'customer service', but to me it felt a lot like the bargain basement experience in places like Pantip Plaza in Bangkok. Granted, they are considerably more approachable than many of the high-end vendors in The Adelphi, but I find it difficult to concentrate with someone literally hovering over me.

(fwiw, I work in retail (consumer electronics), and I know the difference between ignoring customers and giving them room to make a decision).

indeed random plug doesnt tell us a lot so must try it out, everyone got their tastes =p but yeah no idea about Jaben SG, never been there (or to Singapore even).
Nonetheless got me interested in trying C4 out sometime, I did try their CK4 and was fairly amazed at its sound quality un-amped (its quite reasonably priced too!) Don't think C4 will disappoint:)  

Oct 13, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 39
When I said I'm in Hong Kong for business its because I'm working in Hong Kong

No need for me to spam Jaben or anyone, Jaben , Mingo or headphone hk are all trusted shop

I bought mine in Mingo because the 32GB was available

Regarding the sound itself I'm going to test different kind of music and I will let you know

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #13 of 39
Hi, Over many months I have posted information about the C4 on various forums, mostly correcting ill informed posts buy those that have neither heard or seen this player. There appears to be a lot of anti-C4 folk out there and I wonder why this is? Maybe it is seen as a 'threat' to the big boys who sponser some forums? I now have two of these players and also the CK4 which is O.K. but it does not come even close to the C4 in sound quality. Living in the U.K. I purchased both of my C4s from the Amazon U.K. site and have been given superb, almost priceless, support from the seller. Fact is the C4 is utterly superb both as a 'stand alone' machine and as a source into a full sized amp/speakers although better to use a really good Dac for this if you want the best. With this player I can easily hear a difference in quality between FLAC and WAV. WAV is the way to go and 16/44 files are just fine, the C4 can upsample if you wish but for most music it's not even necessary. As for headphones, a reasonable priced set of say Beyer T50s (rewired) is just perfect or maybe Monster Coppers for IEMs. The real key to getting good quality on any player starts with having good files. The C4 is not, for many reasons, suited to those who are happy with the general poor quality of music on offer these days as downloads, something cheaper such as the CK4 will do just fine although don't expect much from this as an eBook reader!!

Oct 15, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #14 of 39
FLACs and WAVs are both Lossless files; Using equally good encoders they will sound the same. Even with bad encoders they will sound next to identical.

And we still haven't seen a comparison?

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #15 of 39

Quote:
FLACs and WAVs are both Lossless files; Using equally good encoders they will sound the same. Even with bad encoders they will sound next to identical.

And we still haven't seen a comparison?

I respect your opinion on this but at the same time would suggest that you have not yet compared the two files directly, on equipment that has a high enough resolution. If you have then fair enough, we shall just have to differ on this. (Jitter plays a big part in all this) If you search some of these forums you will see that I am not alone in this conclusion and nor are you. All very interesting.

Comparison ? I suppose you mean between the C4 and the CK4. The CK4 offers good value for money for those who do not require the best or cannot afford it. If I did not have my C4s' I would probably be happy for a while but I have found that it is necessary to constantly alter the sound via the EQ functions to get something satisfactory. The build quality is also not up to the standard of the C4, mine has a 'floating' battery! The CK4 has no S/PDIF in or out and does not upsample. The eBook function is crap! There are also issues with some headphones, it only has the 34.5mm socket. Mine has only 8gig internal memory. But still, despite my complaints, for about £120 it's O.K. With WAV files on my iPod (16gig) the iPod sounds, to me, just as good as the CK4 in normal, non critical, listening. All my observations are based on using either player on its' own, not as part of any rig which, of course, will up the total cost. Would you like me to post photos' here to prove I have both players? It will be a pain but if that's what's need , fine.

[size=x-small]headfonia
moderator.png
[/size]
2 weeks ago in reply to Dave.That's what I've heard on the CK4 too, not quite the same audiophile-grade player as the C4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back