I heart Rockbox
Apr 13, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had the issue that the wheel won't scroll until I hit a button. After that it works fine.

I'm more annoyed at the bug (supposedly in the apple portion of the bootloader) that keeps the player from turning on and requires a hard reset in order to boot. Happens about 1/10 times on both my 5th gen ipods.

Me too, I've been trying to figure this out. What's the issue? Can anything be done? Thanks.

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Then you place the .rockbox folder onto your player. Done.

This would be the folder supplied as a Zip file, which, under OS X, does not unzip. It acts as though it's decompressing, but nothing actually happens. I also started going the manual route with the installation on my 5G iPod on my Mac before switching over to the ThinkPad. The previous comments about Rockbox not being too OS X savvy are true, unfortunately.

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #34 of 57
I've had all these issues with mine too.. won't scroll til I hit a button, won't turn on without a hard reset... had something else too but that seems to be an LCD fault itself and unrelated...

I also had songs just stop playing or the player just shutdown... wrong battery life report, etc.

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #35 of 57
^^LOL. I think the glitchy installation issues on Macs are pretty well documented. If I felt like fidgeting for a long time with the installation, I certainly could have made it work. The simple fact is that the installation works better under Windows.

Taking a removable storage device and completely erasing and formatting the drive with a Windows computer, and then attaching it to a Mac and running the Rockbox installer should certainly not bring up an error message that MacPods are not supported. This, along with the other problems I mentioned, are in no way the result of user error or ignorance. Remember, I heart Rockbox
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had all these issues with mine too.. won't scroll til I hit a button, won't turn on without a hard reset... had something else too but that seems to be an LCD fault itself and unrelated...

I also had songs just stop playing or the player just shutdown... wrong battery life report, etc.

Well, battery life prediction is based on the user-configured selection of what size battery you have, which doesn't default to the factory battery on all platforms, and the calculated battery draw based on user-submitted batterybench results. And that constant isn't present on all platforms, just because nobody bothered to put it there yet.

As for the others, rockbox doesn't run the same on all hardware platforms - some are better supported than others. It's an open-source project, and since human beings are almost always selfish maximizers in some sense, the pace and quality of development for a given platform depends entirely on who's actually coding it, how good they are, and how hard they feel like working on it.

It's kind of unfair to say that rockbox was no good on your DAP without stating what dap and what build of rockbox.

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #37 of 57
I don't think anyone's saying it's no good. There are just a few minor glitches I've noticed. The required hard reset problem might not be the fault of rockbox though. I read on the rockbox forums that it's a common problem caused by the apple bootloader.

5gen ipods, 30 and 80gb.

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #38 of 57
Quote:

I don't think anyone's saying it's no good. There are just a few minor glitches I've noticed. The required hard reset problem might not be the fault of rockbox though. I read on the rockbox forums that it's a common problem caused by the apple bootloader.

Those glitches are frequently platform and version dependent, though.

Edit: Out of curiosity, i just checked the rockbox bug tracker, and i don't see a report of this 'scroll wheel doesn't work until button pressed' issue. It helps to tell the developer that something is broken. They don't always know.

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #39 of 57
The only glitch I have had with 3.2 was not being able to save changes to settings after a reboot. I fixed it by creating and editing the config file myself. After this it seems to accept changes I make now so it was a strange bug.

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This would be the folder supplied as a Zip file, which, under OS X, does not unzip. It acts as though it's decompressing, but nothing actually happens. I also started going the manual route with the installation on my 5G iPod on my Mac before switching over to the ThinkPad. The previous comments about Rockbox not being too OS X savvy are true, unfortunately.

like I said; use zipeg; its a piece of Mac shareware (there are many others as well, this is just the one I use) then just unzip to the root level of the ipod... done. the automatic install ON THE IPOD 5-5.5G INSTALL doesnt work, but the iriver h120- version worked like a charm. so yeah there are a few glitches as would be expected, with the sheer amount of different platforms that are supported FOR FREE. I know you still heart rockbox; but the install problems (at least with the install on macs) are totally avoidable with a little ingenuity. hell its not even that, just a simple alternative method for decompression.

strange how all these different problems dont even seem to be consistent; even across a group of people using the same devices and the same build of rockbox; though I cant say ive actually experienced any of them. one I have experienced though and is documented on the RB forums is the fact that all ipod videos, whether 80GB or 30GB versions are recognized by the automatic installer as 30gb, so when you actually do the install (on win or mac) you end up with an install that doesnt let you select batteries higher than 650mah (might be less I cant remember exactly) so there is no chance to get the battery life display correct.

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #43 of 57
If you have the stock 850mah then yes. If it is set to high your bat will never read as 100% even when charging. A way to check could be to set it lower than you think and see if it ever gets to 100% if not then raise it. I am using the stock 4G bat and it is <700Mah so it never gets to 100%.

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #44 of 57
I think you misunderstand what i'm saying. the install selects the 30gb installas it recognizes all 5-5.5G ipod videos as being 30gb models, so it installs the 32mb version of RB and you CANT select any higher than 650mah aven if you have a 950mah battery in there.

the only way to do it properly is to do a manual install of the 64mb RB for 80GB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back