I heart Rockbox
Apr 11, 2009 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Jaska

Headphoneus Supremus
When I bought my 5G iPod, I did so with the intention of running Rockbox on it. This was very shortly after the 5G iPod was released. I lived with it for short time, and then Apple updated iTunes and the iPod firmware making gapless playback available, so I ditched the battery-hogging Rockbox firmware and restored my iPod with the updated firmware from Apple and never looked back... until yesterday.

My iPod has seen very little use, mostly because I don't care to take it with me anywhere. I just use it at home sometimes while falling asleep and that's about it, and lately my Karma has taken over as my nightstand rig of choice since it seems to drive my ER-4S a bit better and I can just leave it in its dock without the neverending hassle of charging it via USB.

Well, yesterday I decided to see how far Rockbox had come along, so I installed it and dumped a nice assortment of my FLAC files and album art (in BMP format) onto it, and I'm pretty much blown away not only by the interface and audio features, but by the sound quality I'm getting out of my iPod. I wish I had two identical iPods so I could A/B the playback of lossless files, but that's impossible. It does seem pretty clear that not only is the sound quality mysteriously better (to my ears), but the iPod actually seems to drive the ER-4S better with the Rockbox firmware. I have no idea what might explain this, so I'll just keep enjoying my new toy.

Apr 11, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 57
So far, it's actually holding out better than it did with the Apple firmware, which is kind of amazing. At some point, I may run the battery test and generate the nifty text file to get an accurate picture of the performance.

Apr 11, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 57
I would not buy another DAP unless it has Rockbox support. In fact I've totally erased stock iriver firmware, I cannot go back to it (Rockbox flashed to ROM & RAM) Self build database function is fantastic.

Apr 11, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 57
Oh yes, I love it. I got an imod knowing I wanted to rockbox it and soon after I replaced every last remanent of apple from it by creating all custom docking icons. I also think it looks amazing with the latest themes!

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 57
Just used the prevent clipping feature. Ripped a DVD concert and noticed distortion. When I replygained it showed -10dB. Then enabled P.C. and distortion went. I would otherwise have to physically alter the waveform, which meant going back to the original DVD/flac encode, altering it during conversion to ogg.

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 57
Hey, did you ever figure out how to do playlists on it? I want a few that has a specific order but never figure out how to do it on that. It was the only reason why I'm not using it. Well that and I wanted the text a little bigger but I'm sure that one could be done by settings or something.

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes, I love it. I got an imod knowing I wanted to rockbox it and soon after I replaced every last remanent of apple from it by creating all custom docking icons. I also think it looks amazing with the latest themes!

I didn't know you can erase the apple firmware permanently. Can you tell me or post a link on how to do this? I also want to get rid of the apple firmware since it just takes up space
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #11 of 57
I absolutely love rockbox on my iRiver H332 and 30GB Video, and have just purchased an iRiver H120 and 80GB iPod Video to run rockbox
biggrin.gif

I don't think any of my other players can't run rockbox. Cowon D2 and sansa clip is in development, and my E230 and 1st gen nano run rockbox. Fingers crossed the D2 and clip development finish soon.

Shame the 4th gen nano probably will never run rockbox, but its a pretty good player as is.

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #12 of 57
Lol, that space probably equals a couple songs. It's not worth the trouble.

And I cannot wait until the clip and Fuze can run it. The fuze is such a cool player, but no gapless kills it for me.

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #13 of 57
I think you misunderstood, I did not remove the apple firmware although I would like to. I moded it so that all the docking graphics would be different along with the apple boot logo. This way when you restart you do not see some apple logo, when it is docked the do not disconnect is custom text and font and the icon is custom, anything that says ipod is removed and I even have the check mark replaced from the ok to dosconnect along with that text too.

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #15 of 57
I should put Rockbox on my Ipod... if I ever used it.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back